Who Here Actually Knows Science

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by semprfidelis, Apr 23, 2014.

1. #1 semprfidelis, Apr 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2014
    I mean do you actually understand how the bang bang theory works, and how our universe is still expanding, and how evolution works ect ect. I'm not here to say your religion is wrong but to deny science is wrong.

If you do not believe in these things and have actually understand fully how it works then I can't help you because that's like saying baby's don't come from females even though we can watch it happen everyday. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1398290097.805191.jpg Most Christians I talk to especially my family knows nothing about evolution

First if anyone wants to learn a lot I urge you to watch the Bill Nye debate against creationist. Bill doesn't deny God but simply teaches you science FACTS.
    http://youtu.be/z6kgvhG3AkI

I would also like to say I'm not going to go into a deep discussion because these topics are far too complex to explain to some people that are in denial and would be a waste of my time so feel free to research it all you like, but don't deny it if you know 10% of what you're saying is wrong.

Cosmic Inflation is enough evidence to proof the Big Bang true in my eyes.
    http://m.space.com/25159-gravitational-waves-theory-of-everything.html
    That whole topic is pretty complex so to dumb it down if the Big Bang is a gun that was fired this inflation would be the smoke coming off of the gun after it is shot. But this is just one of the many things that back it up

I was going to make a list but I forgot I would be here all day linking to thousands of different things that science can prove. I highly recommend you watch the debate if you want to learn about evolution, the earth, the Big Bang, ect.

yet says it's not true..

• Like Like x 1
  2. youre not going to win anyone over asserting that the bang bang theory is the only logical way of thinking. science has not yet proven an existence or nonexistence of a god. an argument can be made that science is limited in itself with our current circumstances, it is not a finished piece, it is a work in progress.

• Like Like x 1
  3. I didn't say it proved there was no God. I'm asking do people actually go and try to understand evolution for example or are they just saying it's wrong by reading a summary on how it works and really have no idea...

• Like Like x 2
  4. #4 Koh, Apr 24, 2014
    yea but you speak of these things as if they are factual. to equate the big bang theory's veracity to females giving birth is absurd. youre making leaps with your claims, while maintaining you fully understand what youre talking about and think less of those that dont. the fact that you chose that meme to go with your argument is hilariously ironic. 

• Like Like x 1
  5. #5 semprfidelis, Apr 24, 2014
    They are factual which is why it's funny.. The Big Bang isn't really a "Theory" anymore. Evolution is just a fact also. You can do your own research if you don't believe so there's no need for me to explain what there is years and years of research and hard evidence for. We've watched evolution happen in our lifetimes alone which is why I said it's like watching a female give birth and say the baby didn't come from her.

• Like Like x 3
  6. you should really look into what a theory is for your own benefit. that quote, "the only shame is to pretend that we have all the answers", is not sarcasm. 

7. I just don't understand what you're trying to contribute to this post. I asked about science and you have yet to talk about actual science just saying how I'm wrong about these things...

• Like Like x 2
  8. Im not a scientist and i dont believe in the big bang and i dont believe in evolution, well i do in the fact we evolved from walking to riding horses to driving cars, you get what im saying.

The big bang (explosion) started everything, but how do you get a bang from nothing. Dont shoot me for this statement.
    Evolution is not an observational fact, just a theory.

Do you believe the scriptures written 1000s of years ago are all story made up by people to pass the time of day and hold no significance at all.

9. Evolution is not just a theory anymore.. That's what I mean when I made this post people don't understand this has been proved and there's countless evidence for it.

And the scriptures written 1000s of year ago, when we thought the earth was flat and the center of the universe, may be good stories but simply aren't true. I could get Into it but I won't even go there because there's no need too when I already have seen real evidence of evolution, the bong bang, ect.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Definition of a theory in science- scientific principle to explain phenomena: a set of facts, propositions, or principles analyzed in their relation to one another and used, especially in science, to explain phenomena.

The emphasis *in science* is on the fact that a theory *EXPLAINS PHENOMENA*.

So evolution is "still considered" a theory for the same reason that gravity is "still considered a theory" ... and atoms, and molecules, and the theory that the earth goes around the sun, and cell theory,and plate tectonic theory, and the big bang theory, and quantum theory, and the theory of relativity, and the germ theory of disease

• Like Like x 5
  11. You're not going to make any progress on defining the difference between a scientific theory and a regular theory with anyone who is against evolution and such.. It has the word theory in it, so it's always going to be on par with a regular theory to them. Simplest way to say it is that a scientific theory is more like a model than theory, but even that doesn't register.

As for the big bang, it's more a model of why the universe is expanding, not it's beginning or "creation" point. Even if it existed in some weird singularity before the BB, all the energy in the universe (probably infinite energy as mind boggling as that'd be to some) existed in one shape or form.. as science shows us energy cannot be created nor destroyed, only change forms. Since they believe in a creation point, they typically subconsciously assume everyone else has a belief regarding the "beginning" and look at you arguing for the big bang as you arguing for your version of the beginning. I personally have an alternate theory on the universe and it's expansion, just haven't felt like putting it together outside of my head yet..

I don't really know how people can deny evolution, aside from being ill informed.. but it's whatever. If they'd step out of their biased, personal belief, they'd be able to see it. One can look at the stages we go through during embryonic development. It's not the exact evolutionary steps, but it's pretty damn similar. We start off single celled, then multi celled, and progress into a fish like stage, with "gills" of sorts til our lungs form, into an amphibious tadpole like stage, even have a tail, and so on until a tiny human is there. Most every, if not all, animals/life goes through it's stages of evolution during it's development and life. From fish came amphibians, that's why frogs aren't born as frogs, they are tadpoles which is reminiscent of their evolutionary past of evolving from fish. On top of that, all the knowledge we've gained (and continue to gain) from DNA and our genome. I'd honestly prefer a religious person who believes in evolution as says that that was God's plan.. cause to deny it is willful blindness.

• Like Like x 4
  12. im explaining to you what science is, because you clearly dont understand it. a statement like "evolution is just a fact" is laughable, it demonstrates your lack of comprehension for what science is and what principles it operates under. 

13. You could resurrect a living ovoraptorosaurid and fundamentalists will still deny its kinship, despite them looking like enormous chickens. 

It doesnt matter.  Fundamentalism relies upon the suppression of critical thinking, or just blatant dishonesty.

Im pretty sure the vast majority of fundamentalist leaders are probably atheists themselves that secretly believe in evolution, but wear the facade of hardcore fundamentalism because it's a great way to make money for a fraudulent cause.

Just look at Ted haggard, he was an outspoken antagonist against gays and drug-users, but got caught screwing around with a male prostitute.  Lol i keep picturing him having sex, making that retarded face he always makes.  It's cracking me up hahaha

• Like Like x 2
    The only lack of comprehension going on is on your part, for not understanding what a scientific theory is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theory_%28science%29

If you're going to use the word, use it properly. A scientific theory is a model to go off of that is established with facts that were established with the scientific method. I wish they would just rename it to "The Model of Evolution" or something so people wouldn't willingly confuse themselves just to be right. Evolution is an established fact, what we are still working on are all the countless minute facts that fall under it, the specifics.. and that will be a potential endless battle. Science won't ever stop, the more you learn the more you learn there's more to learn.

• Like Like x 4
  15. Bang bang theory to females giving birth makes sense to me.

16. from the link you gave, the third paragraph begins, "Scientific theories are testable and make falsifiable predictions". this is the point i am making, science at its very core operates under falsifiability. this principle is what makes science scientific. i understand scientific theories are not merely guesses, that reality is irrelevant to the point im making. 

17. Lawl, OP. Why come into the religion section to bash the religious?
    Ah well, I guess the 'beliefs' part allows you to do this; these are your beliefs you're sharing etc :D

No, you're not a scientist. Obviously, since you bring belief into the equation.

Nobody said the Big Bang came from nothing.
    It is impossible to shoot people via http. Just saying.

Wrong. It is observable.

Yes, yes I do. But no, they weren't made to pass the time. Rather, their purpose was emotional and psychological control of the masses. Those people were geniuses who, for the most part did not believe a word of their own BS.

• Like Like x 1
    The ability to be proven false is not a negative thing.. If it can potentially be proven false, it can potentially be proven true. Things like God and the afterlife can't be proven true or false, they're not falsifiable. If something is not falsifiable, I pay little to no mind to it.. I prefer real knowledge. Since evolution is falsifiable, it was able to be proven true.. unlike pretty much any religious/spiritual claim. As stated earlier, it's all the specifics we are working on. Sorry, but to deny evolution is like retarding your brain. It doesn't have to interfere with your religious belief unless you're so controlled by your religious belief that it makes it interfere..

• Like Like x 5
  19. you are missing my point entirely. the statement "since evolution is falsifiable, it was able to be proven true" is a logical fallacy. falsifiability relies upon inherent uncertainty. im not denying the theory of evolution. im not religious. im simply challenging your, and OPs, understanding of science.

20. I understand science better than anything else, i love the new cosmos series  its my new thing to watch while stoned

• Like Like x 4