Lets Talk Micronutrients

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by Tomason, Apr 23, 2014.

1. #1 Tomason, Apr 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2014
    I've started reading up on nutrition about 6 or 7 years ago, but until a couple months ago when my health took a dive I've almost completely ignored micro nutrients. Of course I'd eat the normal amount of vegs and fruits, took the occasional multi vitamin here and there, but never really focused on it. 

Since I randomly stumbled over Vitamin D3 while doing research online about my symptoms of that time I started digging into it. 

After I made that discovery I did a experimental megadose Vitamin D3 trial for a couple of weeks which drastically improved my condition. Since then I've stopped with the daily megadoses because my situation right now is almost back to normal if not better and the sun is shining a lot for the last two weeks so I try to get a good portion of natural ("selfmade") D3 and focus on just the usual daily amounts of Vitamin A, B1, B3, B6, B12, C, E, K1/2, Zinc, Omega Fattys, Magnesium and Folic Acid. 

So far so good and the results for now are pretty astonishing, more than I would've expected before I got into Micros. I'll try to get into Minerals and everything there is left to discover.

I'm thinking about re-editing this OP with the time adding more and more stuff so the blades know where to go if they have any questions about the micros. 

But for now I'll leave it as is and wait for other people to drop their two cents.

- What role do you think Micros play?

- Do you take any?

- Dietary vs. Supplementation?

- How big of an impact would "perfect" intake of all essential Micros have?

---------------> Overall better health (only) vs. really healthy life til you kick it with no serious disease?

Let me know what you guys think :)
    Peace.           
    (Edit: 4500th post, bitches!)

2. What form did you take D3 in?

I take powdered vitamins and the plant powder mixes they have out there. Besides just smoothing out overall my days, and sort of keeping my health regular it has literally made me super human against flus and such. The last 1-1.5 yrs I wasn't even officially sick. Might have had a scratch throat/sniffles, gone within 48 hours.

I take collodial silver too which is sort of uprising now as well. Haven't got to thoroughly test it but once when I had a sore throat and put the gel on my throat..seemed to help, but was too hard to discern since like I said it was gone within 48 hours.

3. Hey! I take the exact one below just in a 50ml bottle (Produced in the Netherland). It's dissolved in coconutoil (1drop = 1000 IU), perfect for larger quantities. At first I took standard tablets with a 1000 IU each and they did do work, but I wanted a more comfortable way way to take the big doses and when it's already dissolved in oil it's perfect for absorption. In combination I took 1 capsule of Super K for every 10.000 IU of D3. (Followed the book on D3 by Jeff T. Bowles.)

[​IMG]

Glad to hear you've been pretty much healthy for 1,5 years! I hope I'll reach that stage too. 

4. The key is that in regards to biochemistry, the various vitamins and minerals are needed for countless process es. Look at magnesium, or calcium.

IMO eating a largely plant based diet alongside healthy meats and fats is the cornerstone. Most can be provided given a varied enough diet. I take a liquid, organic plant based multi, with a few others and several herbs as needed. Including a mineral complex, liquid plant based also. These are to ensure that i get a surplus of nutrients over my dietary, because I'm very active.

Bioavailability is key. Real food, plants and meat are the most bioavailable nutrients. Low quality supps, hard tablet vitamins can have the lowest assimilation value. Keep that in mind; diet comes first and make sure your supps are high quality/plant based/etc. Without Bioavailability you should just save your money, buy more spinach and berries, etc.

5. are you just shooting in the dark or how do you determine what's missing or what needs to adjusted?
    (i suggest you get some bloodwork done before you start overloading on zinc and figure out if you really need to).

always chose natural sources for your vitamins and minerals. 
    some things like creatine and coq10, nac etc. you can't really get enough with food... but those are very subjective as to how you'd specifically react to them. examine.com has unbiased summaries of scientific research available on most popular supplements. 

one way to get your daily dose of vitamins and then some is to start drinking green shakes/smoothies (google for more). 

6. #6 yurigadaisukida, Apr 24, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2014
    Idk. Diet science is hard to study. They mostly rely on food journals and personal accounts. Almost no real controlled studies prove anything for human diet. Its hard to do controlled studies on humans. I figure if you eat a balanced diet and live a healthy lifestyle, you should be healthy.

Suppliments are for defficiencies. So i take omega 3 and vitamin b.

Idk if im missing anything else

Sent from my LG-E739 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

7. Well, with the D3 I was pretty much shooting I was pretty much just going for it. But since I had spent almost no time outdoors and rarely ate food that contains the D I was pretty sure I was deficient. And it worked.

Also, after smoking a pack day for 5 years, including times of a gallon of coke a day and junkfood every other day... why be overly careful now? Maybe that doesn't make much sense, because I don't know enough about the whole shebang?

About the Zinc. I obviously look up as much as I can find with the free time I have about the shit before randomly popping pills all day. What I know so far is that reaaaaaaally high doses somewhere between 200 and close to a gram will definitely fuck you up, but bodybuilders for example take up to 100mg/d. Those doses will lead to copper deficiency over time. My supp comes with additional copper so I guess it won't hurt. 

8. with the controversy of whether or not vitamins or multivitamins pill are bio available and some foods that are enriched with certain vitamins and metals like adding tiny iron flakes in cereal have questionable bioavailability, I think the best "multivitamin" , in terms of bioavailablity is to juice your own veggies, I choose the cheapest ones out of practicality like carrots,celery and a granny smith apple. You'll have a good dose of vitamin  K,C,A ,B(which ones I'm not entirely sure). That with an omega 3 pill should be a pretty good supplement with a decent diet. Personally, I'm thinking of adding some daikon into the mix since it contains the enzyme Myrosinase  that is  a catalyst for isothiocyanates , which has some anticarcinogenic properties
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myrosinase
    http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocenter/phytochemicals/isothio/   (I only read the summary )

protip- save the celery and carrot pulp to make pasta or lasagna for extra fibre.

i think if you are that interested about your body and balancing out nutrients, you should try to get bloodwork done with your doctor.

or try a service like http://www.wellnessfx.com/ 

10. #10 Tomason, Apr 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2014

I'll do that in a couple of weeks. I can't use that service probably because I'm in Germany, but I'll look for similar services (ask my buddy who is in the field). The doc would probably rape me moneywise, since even though I have very good healthcare, they won't pay unless the doc thinks he diagnosed a deficiency. Thanks!

Still waiting for capitalism to come up with a realtime measuring unit build into your arm :laughing: 

11. #11 THEeric, Apr 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2014

I'm curious, are you able to regulate your consumption of all those vitamins daily?  I eat healty, lots of veggies and fruits and the like, and I know those foods are good for you, but I don't have the knowledge, or discipline maybe, to know how much of which veg to eat everyday to get a certain level of a specific nutrient.  I'm not sure I even need to know, or if just filling my body with proper foods daily is enough.  

You guys mentioning taking omega 3 supplements-- I take them too, sometimes, but you should really look into Flax, Chia, or Hemp seeds.  I add them to my oatmeal, or even scrambled eggs and its excellent.

That's a question I currently ask myself. You should be pretty well set with a diversified and healthy diet. But what and where is the maximum of what's possible? I mean you'd probably not get into any deficiencies, but how do you know your diet includes enough chrome? Or copper? What if a perfect diet (eating+supps in perfection) would lead to a disease free life till death? 

i think with a balanced diet you can avoid supplements for the most part. 
    for example .. when it comes to omega's... probably one of the most important things is omega 6 to 3 ratio. (you can google more about it). if you are out of balance, you may try supplementing. 

also if you have certain conditions that some supplements are supposed to help with, you can certainly try. but if you need vitamin c.. eat an orange. or take a liquid, vegetable based organic multi-vitamin.

as far as dosages, you need to consider how are you taking your supplement/food... i like examine.com for unbised study reviews of various supplements. recently found out that it seems that melatonin is not effective above 5mg. 

http://examine.com/faq/do-i-need-a-multivitamin.html

14. What up guys, I'm busy with uni for another 3 days, but then I'll massively update this thread. The mailman just brought me my potassium chloride and magnesium chloride I'll use in the future to hit my RDAs in that area. Since starting with magnesium citrate and potassium chloride I have successfully gotten rid of my heart beat problems and my muscle twitching. (Heart thingy was going on for a couple years and the doc didn't even check my levels. He rather had me do an short and long term ECG which came back with no results and he deemed the extra systoles were not an issue for me. "Some people just have them". Thinking about it I have never really gotten my minerals or vitamins checked for anything that I was going to the doc for... weird. 

My friend who I asked about some stuff related to this even told me "if you don't have symptoms you're good"... he is studying medicine and is almost done with it. If that is the kind of mindset docs have I dislike them even more (as professionals, not as human beings obviously).