F**k It, 4 Buckets.

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by Fheyr13, Apr 23, 2014.

1. That looks stylish as all get out lol. Me and the in law are about to start work on half of the garage.

Insulation, dry wall, and carpeting soon. It's a big space, probably 10 x 30. I'm excited to have this finished and to move my grow. Pics soon.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. Wow that's a big area, I'd love to have that sort of space. Keep us posted on the progress man 

3. Doing the Ph right now so I grabbed some purple pics. I found a second sprout in the planter today and transplanted to the little clone machine.

The mystery strain is the last pic.

Attached Files:

4. Today's weather for Truth or Consequences, NM is mostly sunny forever and a high of 94, currently at 74.

I'm making some hillbilly swamp boxes and will be keeping the air pump in one box. Hopefully the cool air will help the res temps. Pics to follow soon.

5. What's a hillbilly swamp box? 

A water evaporative cooler.

7. How does that work? Just a fan blowing on water? Does it make the humidity rise? 

Yea water on a media with lots of surface area (sponge like, burlap, layers of netting) and a fan blowing on it will make cooler air.

It raises humidity like crazy. Now if the outdoor humidity is already high they do basically nothing, they need to operate in dry air intake.

Good old swamp cooler.

9. That sounds like a great idea. No good for me though as my humidity is usually about 60-70% here. I don't even measure it in my tents anymore

10. Yeah so far I can't get them to work right. Very frustrating. Looks like they're not strong enough to combat the heat. Window ac unit here I come lol

Here's a pic of the temp gauge at the exhause port. It looked so promising but it just can't keep up.

Attached Files:

11. What about putting ice in there instead of water? 

12. Well for these plans it called for a ton of ice. The boxes got down to 42 but couldn't generate enough enough cold air to combat the heat in the grow room.

We went out and got a 5k ish btu window ac unit. It worked great yesterday but now it's cranking on high-low and the whole grow is back up to 83.

The heat down here is ruining me.

13. #53 Fheyr13, May 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2014
    Small update time.

I'll be trying to finish my garage project by this Saturday so that I'll have an incredible custom built  grow area that's aprox  9.5' x 23.5' x 8'.  

Right after that I'll be  making a 4 site RDWC with at least a 50-100gal res.  I'll then convert this 100$ 5k btu ac unit to a chiller.

I've got a fun two weeks planned lol.  All the plants are doing well except for one.... she's doing amazing! easily double the size of her nearest competitor.

14. #54 Fheyr13, May 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2014
    Here are some shots of the garage conversion.  It's going surprisingly well and fast.  All the insulation should be done tonight to include the little wall I have to build and hang the door.

All plants finally have roots hanging.  There's one clear winner here and she'll be my mother for this round of clones.

Attached Files:

15. Here is an odd question... What's the best way to stunt growth, or to get everything on the same level? This plant is a monster and none of the others can catch her.

Attached Files:

16. #56 GoldGrower, May 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2014
    Stunting growth is not something you want to do. You can bend it over to keep the height down, or top the tips.

If you really do want to slow growth you could trim the roots. Above ground growth will then slow until the roots catch up again 

17. Stunting growth was just a joke. Of course I want here as strong as possible.

18. Short update.

Been working on the garage all day. I'm sure it'll be finished by tonight. All the plants are healthy and look great. High of 95 today :( the heat will be brutal for the rest of the grow.

A friend accidentally pruned a branch yesterday so now I'm actually cloning something.

Attached Files:

19. Almost done.

Attached Files:

20. Due to health issues with Bob the construction has slowed dramatically. All that is left is carpet, wiring, paint, and moving the grow.

As for my plants, they're doing swell. Hoping to make some big changes as soon as the garage is ready.

Going to make a RDWC using a 100 gallon res and 4 x 20 gallon buckets.

As soon as I I move to the garage I'm going to throw in the scrog and flip to 12/12

Added bonus: check out these lemon bars made with 4oz of good trim per pound of butter.

Attached Files: