Quitting My Job To Become A Nomad

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by AR Toasty, Apr 23, 2014.

1. Anywhere I roam where I lay my head is home yeah yeah..
    Metallica

guod

2. Three months to go. Eighty four days, to be exact. It sounds like a long time but I know the time is going to fly by.

Just about everything is ready to go and all that's left to do is actually quit my job. Actually there's still a lot left to do, but it's all mostly straightforward. The greatest part about not having a plan, is not having to plan. The biggest question I've been asking lately is how can a pansy-ass pseudo-Australian survive a Japanese winter while maintaining a light backpack?

One major addition to the itinerary: It looks like India is a sure target on our path, and that's mostly thanks to GC. There's been a few really good stories from fellow travellers lately about the Himalayas and South Asian travel, and it convinced me to confront my fears. My wife needed no convincing. India. It's gonna happen. The next frontier.

3. Exactly one month to go. I'm buzzin. 

Flights are booked to Beijing in the first few days of January. That gives us about three and a half weeks total in Japan, and I'm not sure if that's going to be more than enough or nowhere near. We've stopped talking about planning entirely because it's just so overwhelming. I'm relieved that my wife has taken this stance, since she can be an over-thinker. So can I, but when it comes to travel I naturally go into a blank state. There's just so many options and so many routes to get consumed by. We'll take it as it comes. Everything we thought we were going to do is now in an overturned pile on the floor, so I'm not sure anymore what the future has in store.

As a result, things have become more exciting than even I thought possible. 

Still looking for sight suggestions in Japan, China, Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, Thailand, and India. Nepal too. That's still on my wish list. And if anybody can tell me about winter weather in central China, that'd be swell.

4. op people that say this is bad and dumb are just too stupid too realize they are just slaves like cattle on a farm, bread and brainwashed too work and work nothing else...notice how the only reason they said it was bad is cause you would not be working or not have a job....notice how everything about this life is too work and make money too buy crap just too buy into society..its all bullshit from the moment you are born you have too start making money..thats life right and everyone would say well then how will you live or contribute too society, well shit we didnt ask too be stuck in this society where monetary value is all there is..fuck this world,, go roam theland  you were meant too.

5. Good luck on the journey .keep us updated

6. Go for it dude

There's nothing wrong with living life their way, working 9-to-5, raising a family, creating a home and a legacy in that way. I'm not sure it's fair to call people who choose to do so cattle or slaves. As long as you're fulfilled, right? It's unfortunate that some can't see the merit of other paths, but it is what it is.

But thanks for the support. One love, brother. :smoke:

8. #88 -Martyr, Nov 9, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2014

A legacy usually infers contribution to the social sphere through substance, not the regurgitation of this fabrication people call "The American Dream", which is actually just a nightmare. There's nothing wrong with the fact that some people can adapt or be lulled into a false sense of security towards the systems and perpetuated mentalities they were born into, and find some sense of happiness, but that doesn't necessarily change the reality of the situation and what's going on around them. Finding peace in the facade of everyday life is kind of what the cattle do over the slow process of slaughter. The whole reason that we have a notion of "free" or "free-spirits", is because we can or should be able to acknowledge that we're horrendously oppressed and that the lifestyle everyone's sticking up for, is one that could be better if we weren't so complacent with so little. You spend your whole life fully aware that you're essentially just circling the drain, and you don't know when you're going to just fall through the cracks of time, another ghost in the memory of our species' history. I think the attitude of "to each his own", is fair, but it's also just this very apathetic way of refusing to take a side and consider that one way of going about doing something could be much better for the whole of our species than the other. We don't have to keep it so civil and safe all the time. If people feel that their perception of reality and sociology is superior or fosters a better route for the whole of man, let's see who has the most conviction and better rhetoric. "To each their own" is a circle jerk. I'd like to see people compare notes.

I'm also not necessarily talking to you, so much as in general Toasty.

You're presupposing what other people think, feel, and desire. I've come to the same conclusions as you after a very long time of struggling with the thoughts of it, but that's not to say that other people aren't equally fulfilled living that lifestyle as I am by mine. I feel sorry for those who honestly believe that they're trapped on this conveyor belt that our corporatized society has constructed for the masses, but for those who are comfortable with it, all the power to them.

Somebody has to keep this shit show together. I'm just not cut out for it.

10. #90 ModernH:pie, Nov 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2014
    Have fun man!

Keep us updated!