Quitting My Job To Become A Nomad

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by AR Toasty, Apr 23, 2014.

1. Nice plan. Watch out for japan though, it's very very expensive.

"I'm to drunk, to taste this chicken" -Talladega nights

That's what I hear. I've been before, but wasn't too exposed to the prices. We'll have about two weeks of free accommodation while staying with my cousin, so that ought to eliminate a big expense out of our budget.

Have you been before? Any tips?

3. No but family friends went and having a place to stay will definitely help. When they went it was $200 for the taxi to the hotel which wasn't very far. About 60-70$ per person just for breakfast. They're budget was filled fast to say the least. They resorted to stockpiling food at the buffets and sneaking it out lol. I don't have any tips because I haven't been but I hope this might help.

"I'm to drunk, to taste this chicken" -Talladega nights

4. #44 AR Toasty, Jul 11, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2014

I'm hoping to budget about $100 per day each in Japan. That might mean that I have to go on a ramen-only diet, but I'm no stranger to cheap living. I think the wife is in for a bit of a shock though. Adaptation time, baby. :laughing:

Cheers man.

5. Have you ever encounter muggers? What about wild animals like bobcats?

Only ever been mugged at home in the UK, though I was targeted in Spain. I had nothing for them to steal. I've had a few run-ins with petty thieves in Thailand and Peru, but they're easy enough to avoid falling victim to if you're aware of your surroundings and the methods they use.

Wild animals, no. Just persistent monkeys. :laughing:

7. Where are you OP? Is everything going as planned?

8. Okay. Im just concerned about careying a big pack around people know you arent from around there.

9. I love you AR

Maybe I'll pull the trigger on something similar and see you along your journey

Positive vibes bro. Have you been to Nepal? I'm with you on that motorbike dream

10. I hope you have fun and stay safe sounds like a trip of a lifetime I always thought you were American but I assume that about everyone here for some reason haha.

Still at home, bro. We leave in five months. :smoke:

Travellers stand out, obviously. There are people who make a living from and run huge, organized rings specifically targeted at stealing from travellers. That's a fact of life and of backpacking. But if you take the right precautions and are aware of you're surroundings, you'll be alright. Though some places do have a worse reputation than others.

Love you too penisface. Cheers. :laughing:

I sincerely hope you do, man. If it's something you want to do, don't wait. It's fucking crazy to think about doing, but it's always worth the experience. Hit me up if you ever seriously consider it or have any questions.

Not been to Nepal but everybody seems to be recommending it. Maybe I ought to add it to the list for this trip. And hell yeah on the bike dream. A lot of people I hear say it's suicide to attempt in Vietnam (and illegal for tourists to do), so I'm wondering if I should start making plans to bike across the US. I wanna take a motorcycle roadtrip across something

12. check out...Squat the planet

13. fuck yeah! aus is going downhill and fast atm. im also looking to gtfo. at least from the city.

also have you spoken to immigration about your travelling plans? i think if you leave for too long they can cancel your permanent residency.

14. you should write a book about it.  maybe it'll become a movie. 

From what I understand I have five years that I can spend out of country before it cancels my residency. That's a long time, so we'll see what the future holds. I have to call in to find out for sure, but fuuuuck, I hate dealing with people (especially immigration) on the phone.

feel ya. mrs is from england and currently in the process of defacto because her migration agent "forgot to lodge their paperwork" (it was already complicated because her dad died a year ago and the visa was in his name) so instead of citizenship their whole family lost their visas and were in the country illegally.

needless to say when its finally sorted im going to be getting even.......

17. Right on mate. Just got done my two years down under and I'll tell you. I'm fiendish for some more. Safe travels.

Sent from a land Down Under!

18. after 3 paragraphs..you think he has a good head on his shoulders..lol. I need some of your smoke !

Sent from my iPad using Grasscity Forum

Hell, man, that's so shit. Immigration blows in my experience so far, but I'd be right pissed off if they "forgot" my paperwork. Not surprised though, everyone I've dealt with is a fucking dill. Good luck to your lady.

Rad mate. Nothing like it, right? What did you get up to while down here? Coming down here was the best decision I ever made, though I'm fiending for other sights now. Don't ever stop, the world is waitin'.

My reputation precedes me. :cool: