Quitting My Job To Become A Nomad

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by AR Toasty, Apr 23, 2014.

1. I don't need to have the conversation with you again, Mr. Austin. You are capable and all it takes is one step out the door. You'll get there. My only regret in this endeavor of mine is that I won't be in Oz to smoke up my boy Pac when he gets here. :smoke:

2. You never know. You ending everything to go to austraila.. what if you hate it there

3. I've always wanted to. Good luck OP!

no hes been in australia, in fact theres a whole interesting thread on how & why.

5. how much do you guys plan to have saved up for your excursion.?

6. I would love to become a nomad. Seeing everyone work, doing the same thing day in day out is scary and i don't want that to become my life. I wanna live while I'm young and live in nature and experience what it is to truly be free

7. This is really awesome. I hope you find all you're looking for. I would love to do this one day, currently 80k in student debt tho. All the best!

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

8. livin the dream

9. #29 TheAnswer121, Apr 24, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2014
    i wish you all the luck bro. just be safe

if your travels bring you around my way; the door's always open and the bowl's always packed :bongin:

10. Wish you all the very best in your venture.

Oh and congratulations in getting hitched

11. Move to thailand, and with a mere $1,000 dollars you could get your own riverside property, and all the women you could fuck.

seriously brah, thai women have awesome tits.

12. I don't like the aspect of 'settling down'..... so i would say go for it.....

I would rather be a nomad for life and work in menial jobs till i can get enough cash for a month and repeat

13. Probably around $40K between the two of us. Which should keep us on the road for well over a year. If we grab teaching jobs and/or make it back to England where I can work, I don't see why we can't hack it indefinitely.

The common misconception is that travel is expensive. It's not. It just means living simply.

Reckon my wife-to-be would dig that. Ever been to Thailand? Most of those titties belong to men. :laughing:

14. Go to de nang, vietnam

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH Fierce using Grasscity Forum mobile app

15. That's an intimidating number to others with similar dreams. How much did you have when you backpacked across Aus?

16. This will be the greatest decision you ever made.

17. #37 AR Toasty, Apr 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2014

That's a very good point, and I know it seems ridiculous, but let me break budget travel down for everyone. Just so we're all on the same page, this means hostel dorm rooms, street food and small cafes, public transportation, and a modest amount of sight seeing.

You have to remember that it's is going to support two people for at least an entire year - probably more if I play my cards right. It works out to less than $50/per day each, which when you consider that, is practically nothing. If you seriously want to get inspired to save, I would recommend THIS and THIS article (about saving a lot to travel).

When I backpacked across Oz, I came with AUD$7000 to my name (about USD$6500 or Â£3900). Keep in mind that the Australian government rules that you must have at least $5000 with you if you have a working holiday visa (which allows anyone under 30 to work and travel in the country for one year) to prove you can afford the ticket home. On a backpackers budget, Australia is roughly a $100/day destination (Ah! Expensive!). Fortunately, on a WHV, you can get a job to replenish the funds. Which I did.

SE Asia, on the other hand, is a $20/day destination and I feel like a miser because I will absolutely argue with a cab driver over a single dollar because in Thailand, that's an entire meal! If you saved up just a few thousand dollars, you could live in southeast Asia for months. If you spend more than $30/day in most of Central and South America, you're living large. Europe will, for argument's sake, run you an average of about $75/day. More expensive in the west, less expensive in the east. This might all seem like a lot, but what do you spend on average in your daily life now? Don't forget to count things like rent and your phone bill.

For one person, to save $20K in roughly two years is nothing. It's not out of reach. But you can travel for an extended period of time with half the amount... or even less.

18. I've always admired people who did that. Have fun man. Just because people want you to be miserable making money for them doesn't mean you need to play along, and you aren't. Rock on.

19. You're the man

Inspiring me

20. Three month update! Five months until departure. :smoke:

I've been married for almost two months now; happy as a clam. Despite what anybody ever tries to tell you, it doesn't change a goddamn thing. About two weeks after we did the deed we called our respective parents in the UK and New Zealand to tell them that we had gotten hitched. Cue shock and awe, though it went over better than I expected (more or less), and then it wasn't such a big deal when we told them we were quitting everything to become nomadic.

As far as planning goes, we haven't done much and don't plan to, though I'm getting really fucking nervous about how cold it's going to be in Japan and China. I reckon we'll be alright once we get as far south as Hong Kong, but from the beginning of December to the end of January, we're going to be in actual winter and that scares the shit out of me.

Anyway. The plan so far is to budget roughly one month each in Japan, China, Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, and Thailand but it's all still up in the air. I only had one goal for this trip, and it's been shot down. I had my heart set on road tripping Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh by motorbike, but it turns out we can't do that legally so I'm down for just taking things as they come, by country, when we get there.

I'm still looking for sight suggestions, especially in China. We'll fly into Beijing and eventually head south to Xi'an, Wudang mountains, and onward toward Hong Kong and west into Vietnam.

Let's gooooo. The wait is agonizing.  :bolt: