Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Negative Long Term Effects?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by Amped, Apr 22, 2014.

1. It's been a while since I've been on grasscity forums. This is where I first gained all my knowledge on herb. It was a wonderful thing for me during my high school years, formed many friendships and had great times. 

I've been smoking daily for 4 years now though. I remember saying here multiple times that there are no negative effects for long term heavy cannabis usage. I remember Granny Crow, I remember the hundreds of studies I read proving all the cannabis myths wrong. 

But are there truly no negative long term effects? This past year, my experience has been getting worse. I've noticed cannabis has started to give me social anxiety. When I'm not smoking, I'm always uptight, and on the verge of slightly depressed. Then I smoke up and wonder why I was even mad in the first place. 

I have a sever and worrying lack of motivation for life in general; as well as lethargy throughout the day almost all the time. 

Today is the day I decided to take an extended tolerance break. I was so convinced that cannabis is only a positive thing in my life that I didn't realize how detrimental it has been lately to my productivity and happiness in general. I would say I was abusing cannabis; but I'm not even THAT heavy of a toker. Would blaze around .5 grams - 1gram a day. 

I doubt I will have any withdrawals, but for so many years my life consisted of meeting up with friends, smoking up, and chilling playing video games or listening to music. Now that im putting the herb down, I have no clue what to do. It's like I've forgotten what people who dont smoke do when they hang out together. 

After an extended break I definitely want to toke up again, just not nearly as often. Recreationally. I can't let myself form the habit of blazing so much again. 

Any comments / opinions / personal experiences are much appreciated. 

2. #2 orangegrovekush, Apr 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2014
    Dude all that is bs and weed is not as safe as stoners claim still it isn't nearly as bad as gov says

i think the reason we believe cannabis to be super duper safe is because the gov told us it is poison etc and then when we smoke it and realise how nice it is ofc we will believe everything we read about it being good.

3. @[member="orangegrovekush"]

Obviously not nearly as harmful as the government tries to portray. 

But throughout my 5k posts on this site, I was thoroughly convinced that Cannabis can cause no negative effects. The one thing I read about is that it can bring out underlying schizophrenia, thats it. Other then that I thought it was perfectly safe. I was completely blinded too, only now realizing what it's done to me. I was one of the people on this forum who thought they were so educated and preached about how cannabis can do no wrong. 

Now look at me. 

4. #4 orangegrovekush, Apr 22, 2014
    i was just like you bro completely thoroughly convinced weed is for me and i thought i was going to smoke everyday for the rest of my life. i tried everything trying to still convince myself weed was as good as they say but nothing worked and eventually realised it is the weed and like everything moderation is key

5. A real negative effect is your bank account shrinking.
    Seriously though, I've noticed that weed did have some sort of a detrimental affect on my life, but that was mainly due to me choosing weed over other priorities. That wasn't necessarily the weed, it was more of my own person. I could have acted the same way if I had chosen to play video games instead of doing homework or whatever.
    I also noticed if I got too high it was somewhat difficult to do simple tasks, slowing me down throughout the day. An example would be not being able to completely focus in class then having to study the material at a later time. Again, that's due to my person. I could have waited until after class to smoke up, but I chose not to.
    Another way it helped affect me negatively was choosing to smoke instead of hanging out with my family. However, that could have been the same if I was heavily involved in video games.
    I've never really been depressed or anxious so I can't comment on that.

I smoke on 1/5. I was always taught to reduce fractions.

6. Anybody else want to chime in? Im curious if there are actually studies that prove long term cannabis use has negative side effects 

7. Im not sure Amped what am i to think?  I think you brought up some very good points and it really has been a weed ive been smoking for years, a weed that grows in the ground that picks up heavy metals and all sorts of pollutants that are in the air. How good can it really be for our well-being as humans?
                 I'm sure that all depends on the individual who smokes it as some even claims weed gives them superhuman like abilities. There are numerous applications and healing properties of the cannabis oil and some even claim it may stop the growth of cancer, but then we go back to the average joe who is ripping cocktails joints and mega bongs over time lungs may degrade from the particulates, noxious gases and micron size particles we dont even know exist of polyester fibres and thinks you can imagine.
            Is it not illogical to think that if you feed a plant plant food or any sort of extract that the plant may store in its leaves then we burn a smoke is going to be good for us? I know thats behind the idea of flushing and removing the built up minerals to degree where there basically rendered minuscule so the harm is minute but still?. People have been smoking hundreds and thousands of years, we as the users choose to empower our selves with the knowledge.
                  Im sure for 5,000 posts youve been around the block a few times amped. your the only one in the driver's seat, much like humanity is the only master of its fate, and you are the only one who can make that choice for good or ill. Life is like an open field. You will walk through and feel just fine, even if your next step is coming down on a mine or you're about to have the time of your life. Fun things can be destructive. Miserable things can be rewarding. And vice versa. There are no simple rules here except pay attention to the obvious: drugs will take time, effort, and will make social and biological changes to your life.  
                Many of us have in the past loved our drugs, but as time went on, we observed how many people around us lost momentum to their lives because they were focused on the method of feeling good, instead of building the structure to their lives that made them feel good. Method of feeling good = jogging or taking drugs; building the structure to life that makes goodfeel = accomplishment, family, learning, discipline, spirituality, eternal things that change how you choose to spend your time and the results of it.
    Feelgood methods are palliative care, or addressing symptoms without finding a way to hit the cause. Re-structuring life can change some of the cause (you can't change the fact you live in a dying time when idiots rule).

8. moderation is key.. 4 years in the clouds might make you miss what it feels like to have your feet on the ground

If i were you I'd try only smoking at the end of the day as a reward for getting through all of your daily activities. That's how I keep my tolerance low and ensure I get a good night's sleep.

If you do go on a T-break try to pick up a new hobby or maybe get a part time job to help pass the time.

10. Truth be told, you can get dependant on anything, it can be weed, other drugs, video games, sports, anything.
    I think the key difference is wether you use MJ ocasionally for recreation or if you use it routinely as some form of escapism of reality.
    If you use MJ to get high every day, it's not much of a surprise that you will be feeling anxious without it if you are suddenly not high anymore.

Moderation really is the key in these kind of situations.

11. Quoted for truth. I need to focus less on methods to feel good quick and instead build up my life so I can be happy all the time.

Ha I don't think it could have been said any better. 

Yeah, this is what I will be doing, but later. I need to prove to myself I can take at least a month off. I've been toking every single damn day for 4 years. I want to see what it's like to go a month sober. After that i'll get back into it, but recreationally. Max only smoking at the end of the day. 

My minds been clouded for far too long.. and I was ignorant to it the whole time. 

12. Another thing, when I was forced to go to Marijuana Anonymous, most people there were super chill and didn't spit out bullshit like, "it gave me cancer," but they all agreed on an analogy.
    "When you're high all day everyday, it's like you're sitting in the stands watching a sports game, whereas if you aren't high all day everyday, you're in the stadium playing the game."
    Which basically means you sit back and let life happen as opposed to going out and making things happen. I know it's not true for everybody, but it's an interesting concept.

I smoke on 1/5. I was always taught to reduce fractions.

13. The way I see it, marijuana itself isn't a harmful drug. But anyone who says you can't get addicted to it is bullshit. Once it gets to an addiction stage, where you're basically a junkie, and can't go on a daily basis being dry, then that's the stage where it's like.. Yeah, this isn't good. Addictions aren't healthy, period.

14. #14 Yoda, Apr 22, 2014
    lmao...

don't blame the weed because you choose to be lazy and do nothing, that is your choice.

ive been smoking for 31 years, I raised kids have a career and a life. didn't stop me from doing anything.

We all make our own choices, your choices caused this not the cannabis.

15. just wanna say I'm psyched to see so many level headed posts on this issue. So often around here, any mention of use of pot as having any potential negative effects is greeted with cries of "how dare you, you weak fool!"
    That said, i think any permanent negative effects it has on a fully developed brain are minimal to the point of being negligible, and while I began smoking regularly well before my brain was fully developed, I did so believing in potential consequences, but actually wanting weed to be a part of my development. I don't regret it and don't believe I will, but the fact is I'm still not far enough along in life to say whether I would specifically advise against early use. At the end of the day, it comes down to knowing yourself. I think for the most part, a person can readily evaluate their situation and know what's bringing them down. You'd certainly be wise to take at least a month break, and potentially something longer, something that couldn't appropriately be called a simple "break." Ideally when you come back to smoking, you can do so without apprehension

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

16. #16 LonestarLoner, Apr 22, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
    Guy I hate to be negative here but as we all know cannabis has a lot of health benefits but anyone who gets high everyday for four years is pushing the limits! As another user put it, moderation in everything.

17. Ive been having a bit of a break recently. Smoked less then you maybe 5-6 evenings a week. Developed anxiety which seems to have improved a bit since Ive had this week long break. Can concentrate a bit better now aswell. Less tired, you definately get a better quality sleep without weed imo even if weed does help you sleep and for longer. Yeah man I dont blame cannabis for my problems, but it sure as hell doesnt help sometimes. I lost sight of that a bit... cannabis can be abused just like any other drug or even other things. Id like to get into a habit of toking twice a week or something eventually. For the time being Im gonna remain toking rarely (might toke tomorrow as have free house but then going back to break). Got a lot going on at the moment it just wasnt working.

sent from under mi sensi tree

18. When does the brain stop developing? Im 18 and I worry sometimes it might cause me problems for the future. Its just this anxiety thing mainly

sent from under mi sensi tree

19. There is a difference between smoking to improve your life and smoking to escape reality.

20. Significant brain development is generally complete by 25

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum