Motamikes First Organic Grow From Seed

Discussion in 'Organic Grow Journals' started by MotaMike, Apr 22, 2014.

1. nice work mike!

gonna have some trees in no time :hello:

2. Thanks AW. I am stoked my friend. This soil kicks ass compared to all the others I have used.

3. You can if you want. I don't, but you can. Keep in mind it kills indiscriminately, so that means it kills beneficial insects as well (bees, lady bugs, the ones that eat larvae, etc) I like to keep a wide diversity of life in my garden so that no one insect/organism can get out of control. Also, flowering, in my experience is a very fragile time and buds are sensitive to lots of spraying of different things. I keep them as dry and aerated as possible and hope for the best. Bottom line is I'd rather smoke some caterpillar and lose some bud than smoke or ingest BT (any other "pesticide" really) 

BT is bacillus thuringiensis, a bacterium, not a chemical pesticide.  BT var. kurstaki specifically targets only members of the Order Lepidoptera, which is butterflies and moths

I'm attaching a nice FAQ sheet about BT from Purdue's entomology department.....

Attached Files:

5. #45 Ganja Guru, Jun 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2014

I'm fully aware of what BT is. I understand its not a chemical. That's the reason for my " " around "pesticide". And that is good information you posted, but I'm uncomfortable with it. Call me irrational but if it can mess with a moth's stomach then I won't eat/use it either. Just a preference. Wonder how long it will be before we see gmo cannabis? 

what's up GG!! been a long time dude..

who knows on that man.. but i'm going on a seed making spree just in case. got lots of good genetics running and on deck, so i may as well make more :p

hope all is well with you dude..

7. All is well! How are you? Running some land race thai this year finally from some seeds I brought back. Should be interesting! 

Cool man.... I was just pointing out that it's not an indiscriminate killer.... depending which strain of BT you use, you can target very specific groups of insects.  Unless you meant that it kills lady bugs and bees by disrupting their food chain, which I suppose is an indirect way of "killing" (or driving elsewhere) those insects.

Do you eat chocolate?  Dogs are much more similar to ourselves than moths......

9. #49 AugustWest, Jun 9, 2014

i'm good dude.. same shit. working a little, slacking off a lot.. the usual.
    very cool on the Thai man!!!  was looking at some Thais from ACE seeds recently.. i really wanna dedicate a corner of the flower area and 20 weeks to a nice Thai one of these days. Still remember those sticks i used to steal from my big sis as a kid.. can still remember the smell, and being all tripped out LOL

10. #50 Ganja Guru, Jun 9, 2014
    hahaha! Touche! But yes, different var of the bacterium target different things, according to studies like the one you attached. And yes, you are exactly right with your assessment of disrupting food chains. I can understand the propensity to use BT logically, based on the information we are given, I just choose not to :)

Indeed. This one is pure sativa all the way!

Let's see some more pics of these beauties MotaMike :)

11. Time for an update apparently. ;) IMG_20140616_172256.jpg Big Bud

IMG_20140616_172249.jpg Sour Diesel

IMG_20140616_172236.jpg Blue Dream

IMG_20140616_172229.jpg Holy Grail Kush

IMG_20140616_172222.jpg Critical + Auto

12. Am I going to have to stake these? Just wondering about that since it's a little breezy today.

13. NICE. And some early sample buds to boot! As for your "will I have to stake these?" I hope so! hahaha If they get really big, some staking never hurt anyone! Especially when those buds get super heavy and start pulling branches over ;) 

14. How would you go about staking with these pots though? The soil is so light and airy that a stake is not going to be solid just hammered down into the bottom. I am going to have to make something with hogwire or something made into a cylindrical shape or something.

15. Maybe cross that bridge in a while when you get close to needing staking then, if at all. I don't see you having much issue with staking down into those containers. I've grown in them and staked plants grown in them before with out instability. Or try the netting? Like I said, for now just watch em grow :) 

16. very nice mike!!

i usually put my stakes down and use a zip tie to support the base to the stake. not tight or anything, but enough to hold it up.

plants look killer dude!! gonna be a good summer you you man.

17. #57 MotaMike, Jun 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2014
    Thanks guys. I'm excited. :)

Do you worry about a bamboo stake penetrating the root ball?

nope.. not at all.
    just don't shove it super close to the main stem coming out of the soil and you'll be fine dude.

19. Good luck on the outdoor grow. They're all looking nice now.

20. I bought a 50' roll of concrete remesh wire at Lowe's for $62.70 and made some strong ass cages for the girls.

Attached Files: