Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Hippa Regulations And Drug Testing

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by wer92, Apr 22, 2014.

1. #1 wer92, Apr 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2014
    Ok so I am supposed to turn in a 10 panel drug test to my school as part of my acceptance into a specific program. Well I cleaned myself out and quit long enough to pass a regular EMIT test, but when I went to take my drug test (which was preformed at a lab outside of the school.) The NP said "Just to make sure they don't have any questions we'll do confirmation testing." Damnit, not what I wanted to hear but at that time I had already provided the sample. Anyways I have doubts that I passed this test what I was wondering is under HIPPA privacy laws can they tell my school that I failed the test? The lab is in no way affiliated with the school, and the only thing that I signed said that everything was sealed properly blah blah blah and it authorizes medtox to release the test results to my employer/prospective employer and/or authorized healthcare professionals. From this information I wouldn't THINK that they can because the school is not my employer. but I'm still a little worried...anybody have any insight/experience with HIPPA laws? I am in TN.

2. Why wouldn't they tell your school?

3. Because it is an outside lab and I didn't authorize the release of the results to anyone (besides the employer/prospective employer thing which I don't think applies in this particular situation because the school is not my employer.)

4. If you are taking the test to get in to a school program, they are authorized to give the school your results. Otherwise the school would just have to take your word for it on the test results, and that isnt happening.

5. Just to be clear the school didn't send me to this lab. I just have to turn in documentation that I have passed a 10 panel drug test