Best Way To Fix My Bong?

Discussion in 'Bongs, Dab Rigs, Bubblers, Water Pipes' started by smokenrap, Apr 21, 2014.

1. #1 smokenrap, Apr 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2014
    So yeah, talk about the worst 4/20 ever... I accidently knocked over my favorite bong that I've had for almost a year now and of course it breaks... ON 4/20! But anyways, I think I might be able to fix it, check it out.

[​IMG]

As you can see, it was a fairly clean break. The glass on glass part is what broke off, and I can actually still put it back in place but there is chunks of glass missing around it. I put a piece of paper in the glass on glass part and stuck it into the bong, and if I can find a good way to fill the cracks it can probably be repaired. What would be the best way to go about this? I instantly thought glue but I don't want to smoke out of something that has glue on it. I was also thinking of gum, but IDK if that would make a good hold. The hold doesn't need to be too strong since it actually fits quite nicely back in place, it just has to fill the missing chunks and keep it in place. What else could work?

EDIT: Just used some duct-tape to seal off the holes and get it to stick together and it seems to be holding pretty well, but IDK if it is safe to smoke through something that comes into contact with duct-tape. I've rinsed out the bong with both hot and cold water for 10min+ to try and rinse out any chemicals that might be in the tape. It it basically fixed now but IDK if the tape is that safe, although only a tiny bit of tape is actually being used.

[​IMG]

The bong hit's just like it did before, but I'm still worried about the tape. Also a bit of my downstem broke during the fall so now the downstem is shorter too :( but still useable. I really liked this bong so I don't want to lose it, I only paid 60$ for it but I've almost had it for a year now and it has treated me well. Plus I got no job so I don't want to waste any of the little money I have. SO what do ya'll think, is the bong safe? Or would you consider it risky to smoke out of? Like I said it is just duct-tape, but I'm always paranoid about this kind of thing. I rinsed it throughly with both cold/hot water like I said to get ride of any possibly removable chemicals from the sticky part of the tape, so I think I've done a pretty good job but it never hurts to be safe.

2. Sucks :( My dad accidently broke my bong this 4/20 when he was cleaning out the garage, ahhh.

I usually keep my bong in one bag and my perc in a seperate plastic container so that they dont smack together and break. Well my dad (who is semi cool with me smoking green) decides to take the DELICATE perc out of the container and put it in the same bag as the bong, completely unprotected.then he takes that bag and puts it on the top shelf where it then falls off and smashes against the floor :mad: but lol :p

So he comes inside and appologises for breaking my bong, so I was like " its illegal anyway so whatever", and now I have an excuse to get a new, better one :0 , but I wont need a new perc cause that, the bowl and the downstem survived the fall.

But im still pretty pissed off that it broke cause I really liked that bong, I honestly used it close to a thousand times, literally, like 3+ sessions a day usually with that piece for over a year haha

Sent from my C6616 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

3. Bummer man I'm sorry.

Do you have anyone near you who can repair glass? Joint repairs aren't that expensive. But it would be about the price you paid for the piece, so idk if that's reasonable.. maybe save up for awhile and get another cheap piece?

Now with the tape, you said it hits just like it did before it broke. Which is good, your not totally dead in the water.. but you do have a point about the health aspect of using tape.. I would be concerned too. You said you rinsed the fuck out of it which may help.
    What if you took resin or something like that and smeared it inside where the tape is exposed in the pathway? That way instead of the smoke hitting the nasty side of the tape, it will hit the resin instead?
    Other thing I thought of is other types of tape, like medical tape or something like that, that might have less nasty shit on it.. and you could use like, idk, bamboo skewers or qtip shafts or something like that for splints for lateral support.

Anyway I hope that helps. Sorry again for your misfortune

4. #4 itzfreddie, Apr 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2014
    New here but I might be able to help
    So definatly reccomend staying away from resin/it will make the bowl sit different and wiggle a little. Id reccomend cleaning with alcohol and then putting a silicone to airtight seal it (I use aquarium glue) then, slide the downstem in with some sort of lube on the glass on glass area. Then when you place the cracked piece on, get some electrical tape and strech it hard and wrap it around the glass on glass area. Worked for me and a couple of friends. If you try to do it without a downstem, you will get silicone on the inside of the fitting and you will have the wiggly effect like the resin

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

5. Welcome to gc and thanks for your input.
    First, op has a broken bong, so some "wiggle" is to be expected, to a degree.
    Secondly, if you look at the pics, I suggested smearing resin inside the joint on the inside of the tape BELOW the bowl. So it shouldn't interfere with the bowl at all.
    And I only suggested this because I would rather have my smoke hit resin instead of tape or silicon or glue or whatever.
    We are trying to not only repair the piece but trying to find a way to do it in a "healthier" manner.

6. The tape wont hurt you, id be more concerned about the fertilizer it was grown in and bug spray on the buds.

Use a hot glue gun to fix it.

7. Sorry, picture wasnt appearing on mobile. Depending on how hot it would be maybe something waxy like resin. I would reccomend the electrical tape though, it does leave a goo when you take it off but I have used it to fix 2 or three pieces of glass. When you strech electrical tape it wants to return to its original size so it will have a consistent hold on that piece together.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

8. If you actually care about it and your health I would send it in to a blower to get repaired.

9. What if he smashed it on purpose and said it was an accident ? How well do you really know your father.........

10. [QUOTE="So yeah, talk about the worst 4/20 ever... I accidently knocked over my favorite bong that I've had for almost a year now and of course it breaks... ON 4/20! But anyways, I think I might be able to fix it, check it out.[/QUOTE]

Hey man could be worse I got arrested this 4/20