Uncertainty

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by A AnoesisOrange, Apr 20, 2014.

1. #1 A AnoesisOrange, Apr 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2014
    It's a hard reality to grapple with. I think it's why so many choose not to accept much of reality. We want to create structure because it mitigates the inherent risk in uncertainty.

But what if we choose to accept uncertainty? Does it not make us more adept at reacting to the inevitable uncertainty we will experience at one point or another?

If we could let go of the fear of uncertainty and choose to live it, who knows what could happen. And that's the point. Hell, we could even end up running up and down the Catskills.

I guess my point is that right now I am at a point in my life where I am running toward uncertainty. Right now, I am running towards the reality that lends me my greatest excitement. It's not a leap off a cliff, but it's a leap in to the unknown. I was resisting it at first, acting childish. But whenever I've been about ready to give up, I would come across something that drew me back to this reality of uncertainty. Then I realized something, my whole life I have been living to mitigate uncertainty. Sure, I've had uncertainty creep up, I would react poorly at first, but then I would overcome it to be able to create a more stable reality. But doing it like that never solved the problem. Uncertainty is certain, and I wasn't learning to live it. This here and now is about learning to live uncertainty. I don't know what is going to happen. Hell, I might be thrown back in to certainty and my life goes on as usual. But for now, it's time to be my own man in the grip of uncertainty.

Here's to fuck all.

2. fuck it!

....trick seems to be ....just keep moving......
    motion creates balance... be the ground below stable or not.....

certainty....... fuck...the only thing certain is that ima keep moving....long as i can......
    certain that so long as my ass keeps waking up..... ima keep climbing to the next peak...just so i can run back down again!

3. #3 esseff, Apr 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2014
    . . . and yet what is uncertainty anyway? Why do we always need to know? It is the need to be certain that creates the possibility of uncertainty, or when we attempt to create certainty that will never last. Without needing to know, nothing is uncertain. If each moment is as it is, fully formed and accepted as such, as we move forward with it, everything comes down to choice. How we choose to deal with what is here, now, denotes how we feel about it, and there's nothing uncertain about doing that unless there is an attachment to it being something that we think it should be.

So uncertainty and acceptance are connected - the more accepting one is, the less need for certainty, and therefore uncertainty is no longer the problem it can so easily seem to be.

4. Good point.

The way I was getting at it, the need for certainty creates uncertainty. Uncertainty is still an idea, opposite the idea of certainty. Trying to create certainty simultaneously creates uncertainty, and which one we experience is up to timing or something the rather so long as we choose to create them. Embracing uncertainty is more an idea of letting go of controlling things. It gets rid of the idea of how things should be and allows them to be as they are. Paradoxically, doing so dissolves the idea of uncertainty and certainty along with it, leaving neither one of them to be what they originally were but simply what they are, ideas.

5. Learn to love it-walk through the open doors. That's all you need to do.

Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next.
    ~Gilda Radner

6. #6 esseff, Apr 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2014
    Of course, uncertainty can still feel uncertain. It's not a nice feeling. The need to always know is a control issue. The more one needs to be in control the more being certain matters, and the more resistance to uncertainty there will be.

7. "Expect everything, I always say, and the unexpected never happens." - The Phantom Tollbooth

8. I tell you what i feel rather certain i can expect.....
    That there is no telling where or when i may awake to find myself next.... nor any telling whathefuck i may have done in my own absence....

Yes i an rather sooner or latter i will always again wake up... all fucked up.... parts of my tongue and my mouth bitten away.... who knows what types of cuts and/or bruises..... and who knows just how long i have been gone for this time...

Haha..I love that book..There's a play version of it that's in the textbook for 6th grade. They loved it because it's so strange. 

Truth.

11. Certainty seems to be an illusion in my opinion. People try to make a certain life for themselves only to be at the mercy of the universe with or without knowing it. Life is uncertain, we may make choices but after the choice we still have to see how that choice plays out. Sometime life throws you a curveball that you don't see until it hits you.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

12. Sorry my thoughts are not better organized. Also kind of hard to explain the concept I have.

13. simple enough concept.... shit happens.... and we make the most of or do not.... we don't get to pick which shit.... just what we do with it.....

14. I am certain of the uncertainty...thats the best grasp on reality I can get.  The acceptance of this can be liberating. 

15. More or less

Actually, "shit" doesn't happen. It's created through specific causes in our life creating disharmonious events in our life. (that's the "shit" part).

So, how will the shit be prevented from hitting the fan?

By eliminating the "causes" that create the "shit" from happening in the first place.

What does not exist, can not cause disruption.

17. who said i dont want a bit of disruption now and then......

btw...without out those disharmonious events...... we would quickly grow full of shit......and no one likes constipation.......

we prevent it from hitting the fan by sitting on the bowl...and flushing when we are done.......

btw...it is created thru a process we have little to no direct control over yet every bit of indirect control over.....
    you see.... what you put in determines what comes out...
    and be this even disharmonious or beautiful.... still dependent upon what you chose to make of it....

18.  I guess life would be pretty boring without it...can you imagine it if it didn't? Message in 'The Giver'..;)

19. i still can't help but look round me and seevthat chaos always just as important to the whole as what order prevails here and there...
    No... i wouldn't want to be without my broken/darker bit.... without the dark how would we ever have grasped the idea of light...

Yes, sir  :smoke: