Should America demilitarize Their Police Force?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Heroic Dose, Apr 20, 2014.

1. Some officers are required to carry a weapon when they are off duty.

and should citizens be armed accordingly too?  ok Billy, let's have that gun because you live in a safe hood?

can't have it both ways, sadly.

3. Unfortunately a meth'd out drunken redneck out in backwoods nowhere is just as dangerous as any gang member so its difficult to keep the officers armed accordingly since people can become extremely unstable and unpredictable.   I think better gun training would be more efficient than stripping LEO of their firearms.

4. #44 Heroic Dose, Apr 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2014
    citizens should arm themselves as they please within the confines of the law as always. an armed populace should not necessarily require an armed police force. plain and simple, shots arent fired often from either public or police. however, they shouldnt have the ability for lethal force imo. if a couple officers die in freak incidents where a random dude in a quiet town went crazy and shot the cop for pulling him over, so be it.

taking cover and calling for armed backup should be the norm if those rare incidents occur where a guy refuses to disarm against police.

5. #45 SiberianShepherd, Apr 20, 2014
    No the FBI came in because NM police are corrupt as hell and the people have finally had enough just like at the Burgundy cattle ranch right now. We have a militia on standby. People always claim their rights are infringed... Do the FBI show up? NO. People are starting to wake up and realise they aren't here to help us but hurt us. Hell most people don't even know it's not there duty to protect us just shot at us and fine us!

What's the point of having "to protect" on the damn cars... If they have no constitutional obligation to protect.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/28/politics/28scotus.html?_r=0

6. #46 forty winks, Apr 20, 2014

Also - Better police oversight and tougher sentencing for the rogue a holes could also go a long way.

That some cops get away with murder is a failure of the justice system.  I think that's the real problem and plays a huge role in unwarranted police brutality.

7. #47 garrison68, Apr 20, 2014
    You have failed to prove that there is a high degree of incidents of innocent people shot by the police.

8. Even though I posted multiple links lol It's no use talking to sheeple. I could post 1000 links and you would still be a cop lover. Good day then.

9. Go ahead and post your "1000 links", if you can - you're trying to use a few unusual incidents to represent reality, and it's wrong.  

10. #51 garrison68, Apr 20, 2014

This thread is about whether we should take the guns away from cops.  You seem to be of the opinion that there's a high degree of innocent people being shot by the police.  If you're so sure of this, then you should post some statistics that will prove your point.  I can't prove a negative, ie that the police aren't killing lots of innocent people - it's your job to prove what you believe, otherwise it's pointless to argue. 

11. also, they need sunglasses that film 24/7 or something similar

12. #53 yurigadaisukida, Apr 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2014
    I like how people try to argue for gun control as if its logical. Its like how they used to defend slavery...

It doesnt fucking matter. I dont care if a whole school gets shot up. Two wrongs dont make a right.

All forms of gun control are moraly wrong

There is always a way to improve society without being evil
    Sent from my LG-E739 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

13. #54 Heroic Dose, Apr 21, 2014
    ideally thered be no police or gun control imo, however im arguing this thread from a more realistic angle.

14. realistically the police need to be armed. Because the people are armed.

Im fine with police. Just not government.

Ill take a fully armed populus over and unarmed.populus and.unamred.cops

Fuck canada lol

Sent from my LG-E739 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

15. #56 SiberianShepherd, Apr 21, 2014
  16. #57 garrison68, Apr 21, 2014
  17. Calm your tits, it wasn't even pointed towards you. He only got probation. He never served any time like you or I would have. I am now going to block you cop lover.

18. Fuck the law

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

19. #60 KushyKonundrum, Apr 21, 2014

1 - You don't seem to understand how the rule of authority works. Authority only works when there is the threat of violence, aka repressive force, backing it up. You keep going on and on about how most people don't shoot cops, and of course you are right. But it doesn't matter in the least...a cop could face no danger of getting shot 999 out of a 1000 times. But on that thousandth time, if he has no way to use lethal force to protect himself, hes going to be dead 100% of the time.

The numbers just are not on the officers side in a scenario where they are not armed. Telling someone that they will be ok on 99% of all calls and dead on the other 1% of them is not a good way to encourage recruiment.

2 - Tazers and pepper spray are much less consistant then you might think. Especially with those under the influence of certain narcotics.