Good Water

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by davidwest69, Apr 19, 2014.

1. Hello my tap water is PPM 347 and was wondering if anyone can give me any advice on what kind of water to use? can I use boiled water that's cooled down from the kettle? I have a 30L reservoir

thank you  :smoking:

2. I'm not sure if 347 on tap is technically to high to recommend for use or not. It seems a bit on the high side in my opinion though.

Lots of folks use distilled water from the store or those reverse osmosis water systems.

Journal: http://forum.grasscity.com/index.php?/topic/1290525-400w-MH/HPS-mixed

3. That is quite high for seedlings or clones. Boiling it will make the ppm higher by removing water in the form of vapour.

Can you get hold of any reverse osmosis, distilled, deionised, or even bottled water that has a lower ppm? You could mix your tap water with it half and half to save some money.

When the plants are a few weeks old the high ppm probably won't be a problem

4. That is really hard water. I have a 13 gallon res I use 10 gallons distilled and three gallons tap ( my tap is 220 ppm). It ends up just under 100 ppm. A little tap water is good because it has cal and mag in it. If you use just distilled you may want to plan in adding cal-mag. And always keep tap out for over 24 hours to "settle" so the chlorine evaporates.

Sent from my LG-LS840 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

5. Chlorine won't harm hydro, but it can kill bacteria that lives in soil