Just Re Potting Stress?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Outraaageous, Apr 19, 2014.

1. Hey guys! Long time reader, first time grower/poster. Started these ladies in a coco medium, and re potted into soil 2 days ago. The first day they show no signs of stress from the move. Temps got a little cold last night about 67f and I woke up to this. Is this just the stress from moving them? Or "claw" from ph levels. The plant is 2 weeks old today, and I was concerned about adding them to this pre-fert crap soil. As I had no other soil or funds atm I used this. Vigoro potting mix. Upon inspection wasnt horrible except for the chunks of mulch lol... any thoughts or tips?

Attached Files:

2. Mine did about the same thing but she bounced back nice! Just give it some time.

3. Thanks for the response rayray! I hope they pull threw, this is my first indoor micro grow, its been a unique experience.

4. yep couple of days to settle from the coco you had them in and they'll be shooting up in no time,,,,luck,,,,,,,mac

5. The roots are launching all over the place, it will catch up real fast.

6. That makes sense, I guess that delayed reaction had me worried. Thanks for the fast responses guys, very helpful

7. Update: the plants are lookin a bit worse today, more claw like curling. So im rummaging threw my garage and come across an old pool ph test kit. I planned to test my runoff but the ladies are still pretty moist and I didnt want to water again. At this time I notice my watering jug was low and felt the urge to test the water, it read 8.0 or higher!! This isnt even the best part. On my ph scale dark pink is high ph 8.0 or more and light yellow is right about 6-6.5. I find a bottle of water, nestle spring water and measure the ph. Its perfect 6.0ish, I go to dump that into the sink, it hits the bits of water left in there from a previous rinse and turns dark pink!! (Bashes head on counter) My spring water was no more than tap water in disguise! Feeling kinda stupid at this point, and almost certain my plants ph is way too high. My questions is now is should I wait for the next watering as they are still really moist? Or flush with ph balanced water immediately.

8. Like snoop said.. You're good.

9. So dont flush them with better water? They appear to be doing worse and the water I used when I repotted now I find out had a ph at 8.0 or above. That wouldnt cause lockout and/or stunt growth?

10. Well if your pH is that high then I would flush through balanced water. Make sure its more acidic than normal to balance out the base.

11. #11 snoopdog6502, Apr 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2014
    I think you are chasing your tail over the PH and dont be so sure you are getting a true reading from some old pool test strips.

Iv grown 30 years without a ph tester till now and even then I use it twice a month in hydro.

Change over to hydro if you want to mess with it.

Let the plant grow. The more you fuck with it the better your chance of killing it.

12. By the way the claw you see is overwater. The roots are drowning. Seen it a hundred times.

more water is not the answer...

13. Soil has a lot of buffers. That's why you measure pH of water running off to check how the root zone is doing.

My tap was routinely 7.6 and above and my soil plants did fine.

You need to cut your soil with perlite or something; 30% perlite to 70% soil is a rough number that gives you decent aeration.

As long as you are aware of the heavy perlite pitfalls.

the fall apart soil structure is a real buttfucker to transplant.

15. ive grown in soil for years and never bothered with Ph,,,,,over watering is one of the main causes of killing plants,,,

16. Finally today I saw a smidge of new leaf growth, but it severely curls down like the rest of the leaves. I didn't think overwatering could last that long. The soil is about ready to be watered again and the plants still look the same

17. @[member="1sttimegrower"], thanks ill look into mixing the soil with more perlite next time I re pot

@[member="Snoop"] im fairly certain the ph kit is accurate, its not test strips but the liquid drops and test jar. I put water in to certain level, add 5 drops and then compare.

Its over 4 days since repotting, I expected it too at least appear to bounce back by now, im stumped

18. This is how they look as of 8:30pm

Attached Files:

19. Instead of every 2 hours try going a day with looking at it ;)

I am unaware of the heavy perlite pitfalls, please elaborate.

20. I check on them 2x a day. B4 I sleep and a bit after I wake up, basically to make sure my cheapo timer did its job. I dont see how looking at them less changes anything lol. They just dont look right! They are a very light shade of green, and some leaves appear even lighter in parts. Terrible curling on all fan leaves