Butane Torch Is Freaking Out

Discussion in 'Smoking Accessories Q&A' started by TrailBlazin, Apr 18, 2014.

1. Assistance needed if anyone knows whats happening,

I got a butane torch second hand from a friend last week and it worked fine. I refilled it the first time yesterday and it worked fine afterwards, but when i filled it today, the flame is completely out of control. The first time i tried to ignite it, only butane shot out from the front in like a gas/liquid form. When it did finally ignite, the flame would be erratic; going from blue to soft then dying out. It will even continue to burn a little after I release the trigger.

Other info:
    I did have it in my backpack while I biked outside today, but it was positioned so that it wouldn't get knocked around too much.
    I tried to release some butane but it didn't help the problem.
    Its not a brand name torch, it just has a knob to adjust the flame size (and turn it on and off) and a trigger style ignition

If you cant tell Im desperate lol, I got some beautiful wax and as of right now I cant do anything with it. 

Thanks for taking the time to read that, any help is appreciated
    -Mike

2. I had the same issues with one of my cheap torches, the parts basically die out and you will get what you are describing. My little 15 dollar torch died the same way, first the igniter died and I had to light it manually, then it would just freak out, the gas release trigger got messed up. I'd invest in a $30 newport torch.

3. @[member="JTRX"] Yeahh thats what I was thinking happened. Is there any temporary solution you know of?

4. I was planning on getting a new torch in the next day or two, but I have this insane shatter just staring at me right now

5. Lol, been there man.

6. #7 BurnAFewDown, Apr 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2014
    Sounds like the one I had, is it anything like this? If it is, if you look at the picture, next to the spring on top, on its right side, there is a black knob (not the one that controls gas) that when you twist it, changes the flame from either a torch or to a big lighter type flame. The black knob controls air flow allowance, and based on its position will change the flame. Once again I'm not talking about the gas knob on the side, I'm talking about the black knob that is above the letter B in the pic 1397792160963.jpg

7. Pretty sure you torched your torch. Mine never last.

8. Lol the shirtless wonder.

9. For cheap torches harbor freight has cheap Ines for $10. BBB has creme brulé torches for $20 and $30. I wud get the $30 one but the $20 will do. And if I was broke the harbor frieght will work

10. Could the butane I filled it with have been the problem? It was a blue can white can of iolite "premium" for "vaporizers, lighters, and torches." I did just hear that you should always use 3-5x refined for your torch, which is not the same as premium.

11. Fuck all these creme brulee tourches, get a vector! Totally worth the money

12. Propane is cheaper

13. Actually, fuck the vector.
    Creme brulee torch is exactly the same thing... they overcharge for the vector.
    I use the creme brulee torch for as long as ive been dabbing, no issues at all, its a very good torch.
    Ill never spend $60 on a vector.

Yes but propane easily overheats the nail, so yea go with propane if you wanna inhale oxidation

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

14. The butane is most likely not the issue.
    Buy a new creme brulee torch at bed bath and beyond for $29.99, and a $5 can of butane, that lasts ya months right there and the torch will last you forever if you take care of your shit

15. You must not dab very often if a can of butane lasts you months. I went through 7 cans in 3 months when I was smoking oil with a creme brulee torch, the vector is much more efficient and better for dabbling imo. If you haven't regularly used a vector, you have no experience to speak from and are completely one-sided.

16. i agree i go through a can a week. but i dab alottt. the vector is better. but hes obviously broke. the BBB torch is good enough. i own both. itll work for the price. 

17. I use that creme brûlée torch

18. Ive probably been able to heat my nail around 500-1000 times with one can of butane lol.
    Maybe the creme brulee torch conserve butane as well.
    And also its not like I sit at home all day just dabbing my life and cash down the drain lol