Sketchup Models What Do You Think

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by ss tokenkopf, Apr 17, 2014.

1. #1 ss tokenkopf, Apr 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2014
    It's been awhile since I have done anything productive on the computer so hopefully these models I am making will help a few people. Just started messing around with Sketchup again and decided I would finally get around to making some to scale models of grow equipment. Looking at what was available I wasn't impressed so thought i'd give us all something to work with.

Here's a couple pics of a XXXL Magnum 8" hood i've been working on let me know what you guys think so far. I'll be doing the light socket lamp and glass soon.

Attached Files:

2. #2 ss tokenkopf, Apr 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2014
    I'm not even sure this thread is in the right section but 3d modeling a grow room is kind of do it yourself so whatever.

Messed around a little more and got the flanges done and added glass. Going to work on the brackets and adding the rivets and sticker. Nobody probably cares about that stuff but it will make it look way better. The light socket is a pain in the ass so i'll get to that later.

Edit: Finished the Mogul Socket. Updated Pic.

Attached Files:

3. Well I decided to mess around with Sketchup again and do a scale model of a Phantom 1000W ballast. Here's what i've come up with so far. It's just the top plate so don't hate on me that bad. Tomorrow I should have most of it done, at least enough to throw it into a model so you can get an idea about mounting.

Attached Files:

4. Another thing I have to say. If it's not exactly the same size as the real thing don't blast me. It's a pain in the ass to deal with shit down to the 64th of an inch.

5. #5 ss tokenkopf, Apr 19, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2014
    Now it's starting to resemble something we all know and love! A little more work and some color and we're in business.

Attached Files:

6. A few more buttons and some color and it will be ready.

Attached Files:

7. #7 ss tokenkopf, Apr 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2014
    I'm probably boring you guys by now but it does look good.

Attached Files:

8. Congrats to you for sticking with and learning this 3d stuff, I kept getting distracted with my sisters new best friend lol

9. It's a pain in the ass but it's a lot better than graphing paper, rulers and pencils. At least this way everything is the right size and there is no guessing.

Enjoy her new best friend because the computer will always be there when your done.

10. For all you sketchup users I finished the hood and uploaded the model to the 3d warehouse. I got lazy and didn't put the stickers on, the cord or the wingnuts but it is to scale and ready to be used. It can be viewed and downloaded from this link: https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model.html?id=u8e5281b2-f8ad-4121-b4e2-66c90c505efa

I'm going to try and finish the details of the phantom ballast and get that uploaded tomorrow.

My next projects are a couple Botanicare flood trays in sizes 4x4 and 4x8 and some different size can-filters. Hopefully soon i'll get around to modeling one of my Lumatek 1000w ballasts and at least my 10" Vortex fan. If there is anything else you guys are interested in and I don't have it I will do my best to find dimensions and model it.

11. Nice work & thanks
    Bookmarked to play around with later

12. Very nice! I am not big on sketchup, only because I am not proficient at it. I am a Rhino guy myself but I envy all of the collaboration of sketchup users via the warehouse. Looking forward to your next models!

13. #13 zhuminous, Apr 30, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2014
    I'm a rhino guy as well, but if you can do rhino sketchup is a cakewalk. In fact, it's probably missing features you are spoiled by
    Also, I believe you can import sketchup files into rhino

14. I have no clue what you guys are talking about, haha. I just like to mess around and make some stuff that looks good for my grow room mock-ups.