Combining Different Forms Of Martial Arts

Discussion in 'All Sports' started by noremac, Apr 17, 2014.

1. Hello all.  I saw that there were no recent martial arts threads, and none of the old ones had the slant I was looking for, thus I have started this one.  This thread is for discussion of all martial arts, but I am specifically wanting to talk about combining different styles.  I have been experimenting with this recently and want to hear other experiences.

Let us begin!

:bongin:

I have been doing karate for around 12 years now and have explored a few systems.  I am most proficients in Hawaiian Kenpo, a form of karate developed in Hawaii to deal with violent street gangs, it is a combination of Fung Fu, Judo, and Shotokan Karate.  I study Capoeira, the Brazilian dance-fighting style, during the summer, and am currently training in an Aikido club.

:bongin: -smoking resin right now :( 

These styles are so vastly different that it is hard to combine them but here is what I have come up with so far:

Caporate:  Using the Capoeira ginga as a base stance with the intention of exploding out with hard style karate techniques to surprise the opponent.  The weakness to the ginga is being attacked mid step.  For this reason I treat each step as a potential kick or retreat.

I don't have a dumb name for this one.  I have been trying to incorporate the internal power and ki that is used in Aikido in my kenpo, but there is a lot of ideas that clash.  First of all the karate aspect have a peaceful mindset.  I haven't really had the chance to develop this much.  The most useful aspects of Aikido in Karate so far is the grab arts.

I would love to hear some experiences from you all.  Whether it be in one style or multiple.  Maybe you have never studied a Martial Arts yet practice on your own?

2. #2 scout695, Apr 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2014
    I did a lot of muy Thai back in high school and practiced a lot with the wrestling team although I never actually wrestled (I played football). I had quite a few amateur fights and finished up 9-1. A shoulder injury that plagues me to this day unfortunately ended both my football and fighting careers when I was starting to peak. I'd love to strap the gloves on and go another round though.

My training coach for muy Thai was actually my 7th grade English teacher. I started messing around with it then, and with a lot of personal issues in my life it was my escape. I was too young though so it was always an after hours kinda thing till I was a freshman. During the summers I'd get up at 3:30 am to do my muy Thai training, football practice from 7:30 to 10:30, and then wrestling practice from 6 pm to 9 pm. I was in the best shape of my life though.

I had started in Brazilian jui jutsi as well but my shoulder tore up around the same time I started training.

Oh the good ol days.

Ill have my guns, money, and freedom. Y'all can keep y'alls change.