3 Week Old Plant - Yellowing Bottom Leaves

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by dankuverymuch, Apr 16, 2014.

1. Hey folks,

After the second week of the 12/12 cycle, I noticed that the older leaves at the bottom of one of my plants is turning yellow and curling up.

The top leaves seem to be growing extremely healthily.. they're vibrant and lush. But what could be the causes for the yellowing of the bottom leaves?

Should I trim them off?

Thanks!

-Alex 

Attached Files:

2. How close is your light, how much nutes are you using when and how much water was given to them

I'm here to grow the best meds that the soil can offer......

3. Your plant looks overwatered to me. A nitrogen deficinecy in flower is typical in later stages. Early stages is a sign of not feeding enough nitrogen.

Those twisting leaves are a sign of two possibilities:

Over water or plants inability to uptake nutes.

4. @[member="Hump"]
    My light is a 300w sodium lamp.  It's about 2.5 ft away from the current height of the plant.  I'm using dyna-gro and I use half of what the instructions tell me to use.  I alternate the waterings between nutrients and no nutrients.

I also feel I have been watering my plants too much.  I don't actually have a good tool to do so and am just using a red solo cup to water them.  I usually give them 1 and 1/3 of a red solo cup of water.  I'm thinking this may be too much.

When do i know an adequate level of soil hydration has been reached? When the water just starts slightly flowing from the outtake holes in the bottom of the pots??

5. Why did you flower so early?

6. Because I only have 3 ft of clearance for it to grow. The folks at the clone section at my local dispensary told me that it would only need a week of 24/7 light. We're they wrong?

7. Put your finger into the soil. When the top inch to two inches is dry, its time to water.

Less is more in cannabis growing.

New growers love their plants too much and they die. Know that weed in your front yard you do nothing to and it thrives? that how cannabis is.

Give it food when its hungry, water when its thirsty. Train it when you need to, deal with pests as they come but other than that, leave it alone.

Too much love killz.

:smoke:

8. You can flower a clone that age, you need to know what youre doing though to get any kind of good amount.

I flower 1 week after planting rooted cuttings and get good yields but my methods are hydro.

What youre doing is soil, easier imo, i wouldnt use nutes yet, you more than likely got food in the medium. Its not all about nutes. Oxygen is a big thing dont ever let your soil be soking all the time leave them to dry out some. 

9. Great post but i think op is a bit early for this, you have just twisted his brain :laughing:  sorry if i have you mistaken and you do know about this op.

10. Yes... very wrong. Your plant won't flower until its ready. A lot of people do 12/12 lighting from seed and the plant will still vegetate. It just won't veg for very long because of the light cycle, but don't let anyone fool you. You cannot skip that step.

As for your yellowing of the leaves, I agree with Pokesmot. Except he didn't elaborate enough on the inability to absorb the nutes. Have you been testing your ph? Are you balancing the water intake? I bet this is part of your issue and maybe you are over/ under watering. When you water, you should water just until you get a little runoff... but you shouldn't water again until the medium is DRY. For a plant your size you should be watering once every 3-4 days. Take a finger and push it down into the soil 2". If its moist. leave it alone for another day. Allowing your medium to dry allows it to aerate and the roots get to breath. If you're watering this way to begin with, I would look at your ph.

11. I never assume anything about anyone.

Most people google what they dont understand. Might be over his head but youll never learn if you dont have questions.

12. #12 p42082, Apr 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2014
    I agree with you there.

I remember when i first got into growing and was tangled up in all this info. It wasnt a nice start for me when really the best thing i could of done was use the simplistic approach.
    I do apologise for assuming, :hide:  i just had this picture in my head of op at the screen like :confused:  :laughing:

13. Hey guys,

Thanks for the thoughtful responses so far.

I actually just ordered an electronic PH reader from amazon yesterday. Should come in soon.

And based off what you said, I am overwatering. I just get anxious that the plant doesn't have enough water and give it too much. Will definitely curtail that.

Lastly, regarding the veg and blood cycle, I wanna make sure there are no misconceptions. The dispensary worker told me to give it 24:7 sunlight for a week and then switch to 12:12. She suggested this so that the plant does not become big enough to overwhelm the small tent. If this is not the case, how long should I veg the plants for my next time?

14. That guys partly correct.

You veg 18 hours light 6 hours darkness or 24 light no darkness as long as you want to veg.

Whenever youre ready for flower, then you go 12/12.

I grow huge plants so the longer you veg m bigger the plant. You want a small tiny ass plant, then do what that guy said. But its not written in stone.

15. This op, chances are you will end up with a tiny ass plant.

16. She is kind of correct but the terminology is what's confusing you. doing a 24/7 light schedule for a week doesn't make the plant ready for flowering. Doing any lighting for a week isn't going to prepare it for flowering. if you're looking to get a small plant, you can just do a 12/12 light schedule from the very start. But, no misconceptions, you CAN NOT skip vegetive growth. Your plant will vegetate on its own terms and flower when its ready. If you're starting with a 12/12 cycle then you won't need to worry about any of this.

Basically, doing 12/12 from start will, without a doubt, grow its entire life at the very minimum height possible for that strain.

However,

You have a 3' space... your plants CAN triple in size during flowering, but not always.. I would give her an 18/6 light cycle, wait until she's like 10" tall and then switch the cycle to 12/12, personally. Don't go by time, go by height. Every strain is different. Its hard for me to say how long to do it for, just do it until she's tall enough for your room... about 10". Then switch your light cycle.

It might be a good idea for you to look into topping and LST. This will create a short, bushy effect and will maximize yeild with very little height.

17. Just note... you'll most likely yield 4-5 dry grams for the plant size you're looking for, unless you veg it taller to 10" like i mentioned. It might not be worth your while.... unless this is just experimental! Go for it!

18. Can I switch it to 18/6 now and further veg it or is it too late because it has been at 12/12 for 2 weeks?

19. People re-vegetate even after their plants go into flowering and you're no where near flowering. So I would say it would be just fine if you switched it to 18/6... You can even do 24/0 if you want... just as long as the dark cycle is less than 12 hours.

You got a pH meter, but did you get a pH kit? A meter is just going to read the pH, what happens when you find out its too acidic or too alkaline? You'll need a kit to adjust the water you're feeding her so you can adjust the soil pH. You'll see a big difference in growth by adjusting the pH to spec, if its off that is.

20. #20 dankuverymuch, Apr 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2014
    I did not grab a kit actually!

Would this work?: http://www.amazon.com/General-Hydroponics-GH1514-Control-Kit/dp/B000BNKWZY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1397704212&sr=8-1&keywords=ph+kit

And that's a relief to hear!  I'll switch it back to a 18/6 cycle now.  My plants are about 8 inches right now.. You'd say I should get 2 more inches before switching back to 12/12?

Edit:

Took a look at a LST guide (http://www.420magazine.com/forums/vegetative-cycle/99440-lst-how-do.html)
    Would you happen to know where I could get those hooks and what exactly they're called?