First Pc Grow, Cfls, Nirvana Northern Lights

Discussion in 'Micro Grows' started by vindicate7, Apr 16, 2014.

1. One downside to report...daytime temps here got up to 75 today and temps inside the case got up to 84 as a result.  Not too bad, as it's only for a few hours then as it cools down outside the case temps will go back down but still.

Anyone had good success growing in high temps of 80+?  Already measured again and temps back down to 80.  I think I'm gonnna have to consider moving this inside where my indoor temps stay at 70­ give or take.

Watered today...added 7oz of rainwater.  I think I gave it 8oz yesterday.  My soil drys out much quicker inside this case.

2. Mines at 90 for about 8 hours a day and then cools back off. Doing fine. And temp is more of a deal when you're flowering. You should be good man

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

3. I am flowering now.  I'm in day seven, tomorrow is day eight.  I'm seeing the pairs of white pistils appearing on all my nodes now it's great.

4. Heck yea man :) I bet you're super exited. I am for mine!

5. Cool grow I'm subbed in

6. Pretty cool day outside today, temp around noon was about 60­F and temps inside the case were a cool 70F.  High temp today was like 65 and the case temp got up to 76.  Left for work and turned off the fan, temps got up to 80 but they'll get down to about 70 by the time I get off work tonight and shut her lights off.

Gave a good foliar feeding at noon when I woke her up and no water today...probably give some nutrient enriched rainwater tomorrow.

Lots of growth coming in nicely, I'll have a good pic tomorrow.

7. #27 vindicate7, Apr 24, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2014
    Just another update.  Plant is extremely bushy.

[​IMG]

And the white hairs are very noticible now on multiple sites.

[​IMG]

On a side note, my outdoor plant has grown up and perked up nicely, but sadly took some damage today... my stupid dog went up and took a nibble on a leaf. I was bummed, but came back to the plant later and saw this:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

At least all is well with my Northern Lights.  Cant find the rest of my seeds though.....

I'll give nutrient enriched rainwater to the plant for a feeding tomorrow as well as a good foliar feed.

8. Plant is still doing very well, I'll have some new pictures up maybe tomorrow.  Gave a good foliar feed this morning, and another 8oz nutrient enriched rainwater, temps in the case never got above 80 all day.

9. Temps got up to between 84-86 today inside the case...summer is coming on quickly!  Plant seems to respond well to warmer temperatures.  It's perking up nicely, with more and more white pistils each day

10. This pic is from the 26th, ten days of flowering I think.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And these pics are from yesterday, day 14 of flowering.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I don't think I'll foliar feed anymore, maybe just light spraying with water every couple days.  You can see the nutrient salt buildup on the leaves here.  By my calculations I have just a month and a half to go, as today is day 15 of flowering.  My temps in the case are just about perfect everyday, and I'm giving nutrient water with almost every feeding now.

11. I think I'm 20 days into flowering right now, and the plant looks beautiful, I'll get some new pics up soon

12. This is the first PC grow I've seen but I imagined the case would be used as a big pot, not growing inside the case :eek: Looks good though, I might try one someday

13. PC grows are a significant challenge however.  Managing the plant's overall size can be a challenge, and managing air intake and exhaust while properly venting and accounting for smelly plants is a task in itself.  I have an advantage as I have my grow case outside, and I am not concerned about exhaust air or smells.  This allows me to get better airflow and manage temperatures easier.  A downside though is that I am subject to the outdoor temperature of mother nature, which now is hitting 80 and up these days.  It's much cooler with the air indoors, usually in the 70-76 range.

14. So with the summertime approaching, the outdoor temps are hitting highs of 80 and 84 here, driving the temps inside my case up to 90-92 for up to three or four hours at a time.  Then temps drop to high eightys for a little while, before finally staying around 80 for a few more hours.  The last four hours inside the case have temps dropping from 80 to 70 before getting switched off for the night.  So these temps are higher than I'd like, so I'm considering moving my case setup back indoors to have the steady 74 temps to draw from.

In the meantime, I'm feeding with nutrient enriched water daily, some days as little as 2oz and some days as much as 4oz, just depends on what my soil is holding at the time.  It's nice and humid outside for today as well as tomorrow, and my plant is loving it; it's just about 40% humidity steady for days on end now, and today should be even higher.

The plant no longer receives foliar feeding, as I don't want that chemical mix getting sprayed inside of my buds.  I do mist with water though before putting the plant under the lights for the start of the day.

My buds have grown five-fold since my last pictures.  Take a look at what I have growing on right now.

[​IMG]

Thats 21 days into flowering now.  Still have at least four more weeks to go, maybe five weeks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So what you're seeing all came about after roughly four+ weeks of vegging, 3 weeks now of flowering under ~9000+lumens of CFL light, foliar feeding every other day, some LST, and no topping.  I'm really hoping to yield 7 grams dry weight when this is all finished, anything more than that would be a treat.

15. [​IMG]

This is day 30 of flowering.  Not the best pic, it's from my cell.  Can't really see the crystals, but they're there.  So i'll get my SLR camera charged up for some beautiful pics in the next coming days.  I've just been spraying the foliage with a water mist each day right before putting it under the lights.

Hottest temps in my case are still at 90 during the hottest part of the day, but temps then go down to 84-86 and then down to 80 and below for most of the day.

16. Forgot to mention I am feeding with nutrient water with each and every feeding now, usually just 2 or 3 oz at a time.  Im running the Dyna-Gro Bloom liquid nutrient at double the recommended strength now.  I started at half strength for a week or so, then went to full strength for two weeks, now the past week or so has been at double strength.

17. Day 32 of flowering, this pic was taken on my cell inside the case, and you should be able to see the crystals on the leaves now

[​IMG]

18. nice, now comes the fun part, watching her bulk up  :smoking:

19. @[member="SlightlyStonedSD"] you're right about that, take a look at these pictures now.  Today is day 37 of flowering, I think 71 days overall from seed to today

She gets a foliar feeding every day, and usually about 2oz of water a day keeps the soil just moist enough
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here is the obligatory top cola shot:
    [​IMG]

And here with an Ipod Nano added in for size reference
    [​IMG]

And I took the whole case indoors to better manage temperatures now.  I was getting temps of 90+ inside there for a few days consistantly, and you can see the leaf tips curling as a result.  Now temps are topping out at 84-86.  Here is what the entire setup looks like now.  I removed one 27W cfl to keep the temps down also.
    [​IMG]

20. For you math nerds out there, we can calculate the total cost of my light bill using my CFL setup as follows

about 32 days of veg with approximately the equivalent of maybe 4x 27W = 108W of bulbs (rough calculation). Although, I did go to an 18/6 light cycle, I also had more than 4 bulbs sometimes, so this estimation will be close nonetheless.

32 days is 768 hours, at a cost of .09C per KwH.  108W = .108 Kw/H.....multiplied by 768 hours for a total of 83Kw at 9C each is about $7.50 in electricity.

And now about 37 days of 12/12 with 125+27+27W = 179W

37 days is at half price due to 12/12 light, but I have more wattage, at at 10C per KwH this time.  The math comes to about $8.

I'll have about 20 days of light left to go, this time at 152W, for an additional $4 or so.

A total light bill of about $20 for a plant this size, which I fully expect to yield between 7-10 Grams.  Given that I paid about $45 for a total of 15 seeds, I0 were free and I bought the NLs as feminized.  so thats still about 5 seeds for $45 after shipping, that's $9 each.

Plus nutrients, which cost another $9, and water bottles, I'm not in for much money on this plant.  Except for the lights haha, them bulbs ain't cheap