How To Not Waste Oil On The Nail?

Discussion in 'Concentrate Tools' started by Deleted member 441180, Apr 15, 2014.

1. Whenever I take a dab, there's always a little bit that pools at the end and continues to vaporize after I finish my hit. How can I use my tool differently or heat the nail better to avoid this? It seems like it's a bit of a waste. Right now I have some budder, but this happens with shatter too.

Attached Files:

2. Try starting your dab at a higher temp that way it can fully vaporize. Also it looks too me like residuals left behind from the shatter. Could be plant material or simply fat/wax from the plant.?

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

3. #3 YoShytsWeak, Apr 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2014
    Forgot to add, not sure what type of nail that is. Have you though about getting a carb cap for those low temp dabs? Not sure if it will fit that nail but definitely the second best investment I have ever made(first one being the nail) that is weed related :)

Also looks like you have scrapped your nail. Are you scrapping it with 100% G2TI? Otherwise you will leave deposits in the nail which will alter it's ability to retain heat.

4. Do you know how it was made?

Ive always heard dont heat the nail to long......you lose flavor when its too hot. You gotta get it just right....not too hot tho

5. That little bit is normal and is the impurities(my guess) like fats, wax's and any other plant material that is left in the oil that take a higher temp to burn off. So don't worry about that little bit that is left over. but I highly suggest getting a carb cap also if you don't already have one.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

6. I second (third?) the carb cap. I just got a new titanium nail on my bong and it came with a carb cap. Absolutely won't use the domeless without it now that I have it.

7. Keep taking hits until you dont see the vapor anymor. Chase all the smoke down.

8. Carb caps are the shit!!

9. ok. fuck the guy saying high temp. its all about low temp. if u use doomeless u need a carb cap. if u have a dome. u carb it with ur fingeer. i love to dunk and carb. thats why i prefer domes over domeless. 

10. Theres barely anything left on that nail lol that looks fine

thats my nail after a dab
    [​IMG]

you arent wasting anything

11. No one said high temp! I said start it at a higher temp to ensure he vaporizes it all.

Higher than normal but not high temp!

12. Can anyone tell me what temperature the nail should be at for ideal dabbing? I recently upgraded to a domeless titanium nail with a carb cap. And I think I'm getting mine way too hot and am losing some action. But I've looked around and can't find a good answer. I have thermometers out the ass so I can check the temps. Just wondering if anyone can give me a range. Last night I tried one at a lower temp and it wasn't hot enough and I basically ruined the dab. I'm looking for that happy medium. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm about to chop a sativa I've had in the tent for a little while and will be blasting the trim and popcorn buds. Can't wait.

13. I dont check temps, I just blow on the nail and judge how hot the air is blowing back at you, you can easily find the right spot by doing that. I'm pretty sure I checked mine a few times and somewhere between 450-500 is ideal. its hard to read the head accurately sometimes with an IR gun.

14. #14 YoShytsWeak, Apr 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2014
    This^

I take a wiff of the nail. If the air burns my nostrils it's still to hot. Once the air is slightly less than hot it's good to go, any lower and my stuff won't vaporize.

There is always leftovers on my nail that I burn off with the torch before my next hit

15. this actually takes practices too.

16. #16 Dr fumbles, Apr 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2014
    You say 450-500 but if I set the enail at that temp it literally takes hit after hit after hit to get all the smoke. 640 is about the lowest we have seen it be maximum efficient. 680 for the larger dabs. Would the head of the d nail be cooler than the actual heat coil?

17. the temp on the PID is not the temp of the nail head, its the temp of the coil.

18. #18 Dr fumbles, Apr 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2014
    That's what I figured. So if it is set at 680 what do you think the nail head is at? I know specific question but never know if someone might have the answer

19. I honestly have no clue, my guess is its somewhere between 100-200F cooler at the head. IDK for sure though

20. I just checked the head of the nail temp. We had the temp set at 710 and the head reads around 450 at the hottest areas.