Giving It A Shot

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by Amhazed, Apr 15, 2014.

1. 1st) "did water get on it?".....no. but it is quite possible that my rock wool is /was to wet.
    it had gotten quite dry and i watered it.
    2nd) yes I prepped rock wool. I let it soak in water PH'd to 5.7 for bout an hour.
    3rd) no. I have not fed either plant any nutrients yet

so how about my questions about my Onyx? Should I go ahead and plant it in my bubble bucket and start feeding it nutrients to help get it to where it should be at this point? If so....would you suggest 1/4 strength? Or should I go ahead and use full strength? I am going to be using the Cyco line of nutrients.
    Anyone who reads this is welcome to chime in and please do. Almost 1000 views but only a few replies. I need and would appreciate the help.Again, I know I will not be susuccessful without the help of the other farmers here.

2. Hey there... Looking at your pics again I'd say the onyx is still a touch on the young side for nutes.

You could transfer them to your bubble bucket at any point really.

The best method I've seen so far is to fill a bucket with water. Submerge the netpot so the hydroton floats. While its floating insert your transplant and lift the pot out of the water. The hydroton will settle around your seedling.

Most folks will recommend you to start a feeding schedule once the cotelydons start to yellow. These are the first set of green leaves you see when the seedling sprouts from its shell.

When you start feeding your plant in its young stage you will want to drastically reduce the amount you give it.

I like to start at a ¼ of the recommended dosage. If it recommends 4ml per litre/gallon give it 1ml to start.

If you are unsure of the conversion rates use Google or something like that.

http://forum.grasscity.com/index.php?/topic/1290525-400w-MH/HPS-mixed

3. #24 Amhazed, Apr 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2014
    Thank you appreciate the help bud. ...I'm PH'ing my bucket now..ppm are at 232 so far that seems a little high. PH is 5.4 ...should I add a little Sensi Cal mag grow? My bucket is 18 gallons but probably only 15 actual gallons of water in it

4. Running tap water myself at the moment but I do have an ROsetup. I just haven't hooked it up yet. I believe I'm going to trash speedy and start again with my last seed of that I have ...guess I do should have bought more than just 3 of those seeds. Here's pick of Onyx in her new setup

5. Here's Onyx

Attached Files:

6. I read somebody's grow journal and someone had told them the plant (in rock wool) was getting hit with to much light. That they should cover it why hydroton so I decided to give that a shot. I'll try that for couple days....wondering if I should put it back in grow dome and crack vents and put some PH'd water in the tray?

Attached Files:

7. Day2 of Onyx in bubbler....so far so good 😎
    Humidity: 28% high:56% low:25%
    High Temp: 86 Low Temp: 75
    Current Temp: 75
    PPM: 228
    PH: 6

8. Added 1/4 strength Nutrients to day to Onyx. Dumb ass me for got to get gloves....H2O2 wrecked fingertips

9. Long freakin' day today....decided to upgrade my air pump from 254 GPH to 1300...When I popped the lid a on my bucket. I had some kind of greenish brown ring around the inside right at my water line. Also it looked like the same stuff was starting to form at the bottom of the bucket. I assumed it was algae. My bucket is dark gray. I figured it would be enough to keep enough light out...guess I was wrong. I taped bucket and lid and took it outside...yeah, I could see the difference. So after I cleaned bucket, changed pumps, re did exhaust so I'm sucking air out of my tent instead of blowing air into it, and setting up timer so light, exhaust,and oscillating fan inside the tent all come on together. 10 hours had rolled by.....UNFLIPPIN'BELIEVABLE!!!!...guess it's all part of learning. I'm not even sure that stuff was algae but better safe than sorry. What ever it is it flakes off the old airline when it dried....oh well, we'll see what it looks like tomorrow. Fresh water...Ph'd ..PPM good before and after I re added my 1/4 strength nutrients....hold on ...I didn't check it again after adding nutrients...brb...alrighty then...
    Humidity: 28% High 52% Low 16%
    Temp: 77 High 86 Low 64
    PH: was 6.6 adjusted to 5.9
    PPM: 332

10. So today's vitals inside tent are
    Humidity: 36% High 66% Low 31%
    Temp: 79 High 79 Low 70
    ONYX: PPM 350 PH 5.9
    Here she is my friends..

Attached Files:

11. I am very happy with the way Speedy Gonzalez seems to have taken a turn for the better. I put her in 5 gallon bucket and added 1/3 strength nutrients just to see what would happen and hopefully take her out of ICU. She still is not the prettiest girl on the block but...go back and look at the last pics of her I posted and you can see (I hope) the positive results
    Speedy Gonzalez: PPM 560 PH (was)6.4 adjusted to 5.9

Attached Files:

12. She still looks like she's burning a bit from a thick soup.

I would consider emptying half of that and adding back plain water to dilute.

Or completely remove her from the nutes solution and replace with plain water completely.

You want to see new unaffected growth that looks normal. Typically a seedling has enough stored material to make it roughly 2 weeks or so without anything extra.

Look into the LITFA mentality. Over care for your plants will be your worst enemy.

Journal:
    http://forum.grasscity.com/index.php?/topic/1290525-400w-MH/HPS-mixed

13. #36 Amhazed, Apr 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2014
    actually I feel like she got better after I added nutrients. She looks even better today than yesterday. ..but it could be just one of the nutrients that's responsible for that....Cycos Dr. Repair. ..so I'm going to continue keeping close watch and then when i do my Friday garden chores flush and only add that to my res and nothing else....I think what may have caused my problems in the first place is when I took her out of paper towel and put her in rock wool I felt a snap. Root didn't break in half or in to pieces but I definitely felt it. I tried to put long root into shallow hole. (Sort of like me and my wife 😎)....since then I've been germinating in rock wool with much better results. Check out my grow journal with Blue Himalaya

14. ppm 500? they are babies. only ph water.

you're ph is swinging because they arent eating the nutes

15. OK that's 2 of you that said get rid of nutes. Since I am a brand new grower with absolutely no experience. I will follow your teachings. Thank you all for helping me. It is greatly appreciated. I've said it before and I'll say it again....I will not succeed without the help of the other farmers here

16. #39 The Letter 3, Apr 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2014
  17. In a rush today. So, quick update. ....1st a question: how do you lower ppm? I could search it and will later but lots faster if I just ask here since I'm usually here

Ph's on both res's were higher than I wanted. 6.5 and 6.3 I adjusted both down to 5.7.
    Ppm: 387 in one and 500 in the other (tomorrow I will be dumping and flushing the one that's 500)