First Grow Ever (Help Appreciated) Nl Auto

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by HeyBud!, Apr 15, 2014.

1. Hey you guys, starting 2 northern light autoflowering plants. I've been reading these forums on GC nonstop on growing so I don't kill my plant. Here's a few pics of the supplies I picked up at the local hydro store. I'll include more details as the thread goes. I'll include a diagram of my setup. Sorry if you guys can't read the small print, let me know and I'll clarify. You guys he sure and let me know if this will work for a small grow for personal stash.

Attached Files:

2. That looks pretty good, but I would move your intake vent to the bottom, and get a small exhaust fan to blow air out on the top... that way the heat gets pulled out the top, and fresh air will come in providing new air (and CO2) to the plants. I would also add a small fan on the inside to blow the plants. Plants love a nice blow too. :smoking:

I'm curious, what is the purpose of the 5 Gal bucket and fan on the outside of the box?

3. I'm growing NL AUTOS at the moment as well! Good luck and I will be reading!

Sent from my DROID4 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

4. Thank you guys for replying! And the bucket is a "make shift" carbon filter. It doesn't actually use activated carbon. You fill the bottoms with soil moist and however much ONA(odor neutralizing agent) concentrate you need. The fan sucks in the skunky pot air and makes it smell like linen:). Just didn't want to buy ducts and fans and what not. Also, I'm at work at the moment but when I go home the NL seeds have been soaking(germinating) for 24 hours and HOPEFULLY I'll get a few quicky sprouts. Using rapid rooter vs Rockwool for own personal curiosity. I'll keep you guys updated.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

5. Ok you guys, good news, even though they're not completely ready, at least I know they're not dead, hollow seeds. After a day of soaking in the water I moved them in between two damp tissues. Also I did a little PH test between my filtered water, my tap water, and rain water. Give me a few minutes and I'll show you guys the results!

Sent from my iPad using Grasscity Forum

6. Badass, I'm trying out NL auto for my first grow too, outdoors though

7. Nice man, I knew NL would be quick(auto) and good for my first couple of grows. And is delicious! Anyways here are the pics I promised. Of the seeds and my PH test. Let me know if I'm wrong but the rain water looks to be sitting perfectly at 6.5 :) The tap and purified seemed to be a bit on the high side. oh yea, and my rapid rooters!

ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1397592402.725179.jpg

ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1397592463.556436.jpg

ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1397592481.750727.jpg

ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1397592500.116940.jpg

ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1397592527.338980.jpg

ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1397592584.152418.jpg

ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1397592602.565940.jpg

8. Just felt like this was necessary.
    What do you guys toke with??? I have other pieces, this ones just quick!

ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1397592976.609055.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

9. I had to follow this topic, I'm very curious to see what you get.  I just started a Northern Lights plant a little over a month ago myself, and just switched it to 12/12 today.  I want very much to compare yield with what you get and speed of the grow since yours is auto and mine isn't.

I started with 2x 5000K and 2x 2600K to give my plants a mix of light, make it seem more natural.  Are all your bulbs 6500K?  They look pretty white.  For flowering I'm gonna use a massive 125W 2600K CFL and the 2x 2600K for a total of 172W...your setup seems pretty sweet with your power you're using.  I wish I had that much space...I have to use a stripped out computer server!  I'll start my thread soon so you can see mine too.

Cant wait to see what you come out with...following for sure!

Oh, and I either use a metal piece for toking, or I roll up some aluminum foil into a nice pipe/blunt and smoke that way.  With the foil, all your resin stays inside of it for easy smoking when you're finished; just run your lighter up and down the foil and smoke away.

10. Side note; how well does dry ice work for CO2 production?  I heard it's actually not the best, compared to, say, a homemade CO2 fermentation bottle with drip line.  Plus, it's a bit pricey for what you get.

11. Hey vindicate, thanks for following! All of them are 6500k daylight but I added some "bright white" lights. In the pictures back at the top you can see that 2 of them look relatively warmer, more orange. I have two more that I haven't added yet, I just miscounted the amount of adapters I needed for the power strip while I was at the store. So that makes 6 23w(daylight) lights on top, x2 23w(daylight) lights on each side, which makes 4 23w(daylight) lights in total on the sides. Then after that I put the "bright white" lights with the daylight ones so the plant could have a wider spectrum of light. Plants love it!

And the c02 question, yes I agree it's not the 'best' way to Improve the c02 but it also helps cool the temperature so it's like 2 perks in one! And I get it for free because I work in a burn unit and they ship pig skin in through fedex and there's just huge boxes of it that they throw away.(or employees can take) like I'm talking 20 big styrofoam boxes a week. Here's a picture of the article I read. It said it was the 2nd most common way.

ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1397614322.386552.jpg

12. Yeah I looked back and saw those 2600Ks, plants do love the mix.  Good job you your workup too, you really planned this one through, should turn out great.

And heck yeah, if you're getting dry ice for FREE, omg that's awesome.  Wish I could.  My veg box is constant 80 degrees and I think my flowering box is too.  I'd love to cool it down a bit.  I'll be homemaking my fermentation bottle in probably a week or so to add CO2 to my case.

Also, which seedbank did you get your seeds from?  I used Nirvana seedbank for my NL, and they threw in 10 freebies!

13. Dang 10??? I used herbies and everything went smoothly. And thanks man, I really am exited about this grow. It's a pretty fun hobby to grow something that's this amazing haha! I'm pretty blazed right now so sorry if my grammar isn't perfect. And how are your plants doing? Got any pics?

14. My pics are on my cell phone...don't have the connection cable right now because I'm still at work.  I'm going home in an hour and a half and I'll start my thread about my grow then. 
    Yeah 10 freebies was cool.  I started one and it looked like a sativa, and had some vigorous growth.  It's maybe three weeks old, I dug a spot in the yard and transplanted it yesterday.  Then it poured rain yesterday, and today :unsure: If it survives that, and not to mention that the temp is supposed to drop down to like 30 degrees tonight FML. 

If it survives that too, then I'll keep up with pics on that one also.  I almost don't care if it turns out male; I won't mind pollinating one bud area to get another handful of seeds for the next project.

15. Nice man, it's cool that you look at it like its a project too. And we must live in the same region because it was pouring on and off yesterday and got cold as fuck last night! Haha

16. #18 HeyBud!, Apr 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2014
    Ok guys, I had the day off so I decided to make a temporary grow box, until the tent comes in. Plus, the tent is way to tall for the beginning of the growth. Don't laugh at the ghettoness!

Also, the seeds popped out of the shell so I soaked the rapid rooters in rain water and placed them root pointing down. Right now they have 5 daylight 23w bulbs and 1 23w "bright white" light for a little spectrum diversity. Took that great advice to add an intake fan at the bottom and a smaller one at the top. That's a total of 138w for now. I'll add the other lights once they get big enough to need it! The pictures might be a little out of order but you'll get the idea.

17. #19 HeyBud!, Apr 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2014
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1397673463.024887.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1397673475.569182.jpg
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1397673491.263798.jpg
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1397673542.455923.jpg
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1397673564.846898.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1397673579.597699.jpg
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1397673600.359976.jpg
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1397673648.477973.jpg
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1397673662.988321.jpg
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1397673691.900857.jpg

Attached Files:

18. NICE; all those pics are nice.  I love the "ghetto-ness" haha.  Is that aluminum foil lining the sides?  I heard foil can absorb light and create hot spots, but I dunno.  Thats a lot of light for them babies....