How Much Light To Seedlings Need?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by H20OverGatorade, Apr 15, 2014.

1. #1 H20OverGatorade, Apr 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2014
    First timer here looking for some answers to a few questions. Here is what I'm working with:

-A few coconut coir pellets with 1 seed sprouted and and looks like the other will sprout tomorrow
    -2x 15W CFLs + 1x25W CFL

I've read other posts about seedlings and lighting, but I've yet to come across a thread that approximates how much light (watts/lumens) that a seedling should have. Keep in mind the 2x15W CFLs will be replaced as I've read they are not worth it.

So what are optimal lighting conditions for seedlings?

*On a side note it seems even with this little amount of light the temp is too hot, and the thermometer is reading 30C (86f) which is way too high. I guess I need a bigger fan, and I'm waiting for a few fans to arrive by mail for intake/exhaust.

Attached Files:

2. The fan you have should be sufficient for that space, but it is the ventilation that will help keep that grow box cool (assuming it is taking in cooler air from outside the box).

Do you already have the holes cut for ventilation? What are your plans with that? You might even get a cooler temp just by making your exhaust hole now, at or near the top of the box.

3. The holes are not yet cut I was going to wait for my fans to arrive, but I guess it wouldn't hurt to simply cut the holes right now.

4. They will be fine under those lights for the first week but then it will need bumping up to around double.

I recommend at least 60w per square foot of area, but the more the better

5. Thanks for the info GoldGrower! My total floor space is only about 3 sq.ft., so it looks like I wont be needing too much light to start off!