Newbie Do It Yourselfer. Electrical Questions Please Helpppp

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by guygreenthumbs, Apr 14, 2014.

1. Magnetic ballasts tend to draw more amperage at startup than digital but you should still be fine, especially with a 30 amp circuit.

2. Red, if I run 220 to a subbox can I install both 220 and 110 breakers on the sub box? If so can u link me to the proper sub box I should be looking at? I really appreciate the help man.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

3. Yes you can. Thats what I was talking about with the 50 amp 2 pole wired to a sub. You could do a sub on that 30, I'm just not sure if one is available that low with multiple spaces, so you might have to get a 50 sub anyways. Then I would just wire it as a 50. I'll check around tomorrow I'm ready for bed. Sorry for the late reply. 

4. Yes. The receptacles used are not rated for 30 amps. In fact the devices being plugged in will not be rated for 30a.

If there was a short in your ballast, it would have access to more current than it should before tripping the breaker.

A subpanel should be installed after the timer, breakers in this panel would feed receptacles. Use 15 amp breakers unless using 20amp rated receptacles. Same applies to 240v.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Grasscity Forum mobile app

It's a dual 15A so the 120V sockets are only running off one of them. I'm pretty sure the ballasts plugged in are rated properly because they are meant for 240V.

6. Ahh, my bad. Just didnt want to see another fire.

Often people will make a "freedom board" with no internal overcurrent protection and then plug it into a 30a dryer receptacle. This results in a potential for dangerous situation as once current passes the timer, devices (receptacles and loads) lack 30amp ratings.

:)

Sent from my SM-N900V using Grasscity Forum mobile app

Thanks for your help, I think I'm okay, but I will keep my fingers crossed anyways. :bongin:

Yes.

I recommend running a 50A circuit, to do this you will need #6 wire.  You will need 4 of them (1 each Black, Red, White and Green (or bare)).  Run those from your main breaker box to the location of your subpanel.  Make sure you remove the bonding screw from the subpanel if it is attached and keep the neutral (white) wire on a separate bus from the ground wires.  You may need to add a ground terminal.

Once the subpanel is installed you can add both 220 and 110 circuits on it. 

If none of this made sense, get a book on electrical or find someone who knows what they are doing.