Buying Rig #2. Torn Between Choices.

Discussion in 'Bongs, Dab Rigs, Bubblers, Water Pipes' started by mrhappysmore, Apr 14, 2014.

1. Sup fellow tokers, I'm torn between two pieces.

I can either get a Syn Nano Airstrike from my friend for $240 or I could get a Mobius Penta-disc for $365 (regular shipping included) from a buddy in Cali. I'm obviously leaning towards the Syn because it's cheaper and readily available, but I feel like I'd being giving up on a quality piece.

2. I would say it depends on how bad you want a mobius in your collection.
    If you don't need to have it, then id consider the syn and save the money.
    Because 365 is around msrp right? So its not a steal.
    And they are in stock on alt, so they too are somewhat available.
    Just something to consider.

3. #3 mrhappysmore, Apr 14, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2014
    As I thought, I just didn't know how much better or worth it the Mobius is. Thanks for your opinion, I think I will just get the Syn, I've used it before and I think it works perfectly!

Unfortunately, someone bought the Syn before me!

4. Some may say that the mobius is better and is worth it, and they may be right.
    But both of those terms are extremely relative.
    Assuming your going to be using this for concentrates, I would think they syn would provide less, but possibly more even, diffusion. Which imo is a good thing for concentrates.
    And would the penta disc be your first choice in the mobius disc line up?
    If it isn't, then you'll be settling and may come to regret it later.
    Hope this helps some

5. #5 mrhappysmore, Apr 14, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2014
    Well, I just got an update. Apparently someone offered a much higher price and bought the Syn right away. 

So is buying the Mobius for $365 worth it anyway or could I find a better price elsewhere? And T-o-W-e-R, the penta-disc would be my first choice, yes. My only dab rig in the family right now is a Maverick Honeycomb Recycler, but I also have a Blaze Climax-A 3 Dome for flowers.

6. Ah bummer!

I would say that the price of 365 is fair, and you may be able to find it cheaper somewhere, but I haven't seen it much cheaper than that..
    And again, the term "worth" is extremely relative, but ya I would think it is worth it, tho I've never hit one so what do I know..
    Since the penta disc is your preference, I don't think you'll be too disappointed.
    Were there any other brands you were considering?

7. Every möbius piece I've hit has been amazing. I like Syn but Id go with the möbius if you can afford it.

8. have you tried the disc series?

9. Well, since I have time to pick and choose, I wouldn't mind hearing any brand recommendations. I don't know many brands (for dab rigs), I know of M&M Tech, Maverick, Mobius, SYN, Toro, and I've seen heady glass artists. 

Anyway, I guess my budget would be no more than $400 excluding shipping. I don't even expect to afford a Toro with that xD 

10. Damn....what ever happened to the $10 glass piece ? I use the cheapest glass I can find the just buy a new one when it gets clogged, lol

11. You could just call me a rising glass connoisseur. I love glass, love buying it, holding it, getting new ones and naming it.  :bongin:  :smoke:

12. yeah unfortunately toro is passed your price range i think
    some other companies to check out that arent on your list:
    swagger, pyrology, sheldon black, molecule, and maybe some models of dave goldstein or hitman.
    those are the only ones coming to mind atm.. sorry i just started tokin lol :smoke:

have you heard of any of those brands?

Thanks for the brand recs, and the ones I've hard of in that list are Hitman and Dave Goldstein actually!

14. no problem
    most of the cool hitman models will be passed your price range :(

but everything else i mentioned should be within it i believe.
    ive seen some real "think outside of the box" kinda shit from swagger and pyrology, check them out if you can.
    keep me posted

15. Yes, I prefer the stereo matrix 60m bubbler though if its for concentrates. I would also recommend hamm waterworks for concentrates. For flowers I really like the stereo matrix 65t or the peyote pillar.

16. #16 T-o-W-e-R, Apr 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2014
    our op's budget is 400 max, would hamm waterworks fit that bill?

which of the discs did you try? care to elaborate on your experience?

17. Yes, there are some quality recyclers that fit your $400 budget.
    For Möbius I've tried the stereo matrix 65 t&b, I prefer the tube because its more of a flower piece. The hits are amazing. The bubbles stack bigger than you can imagine while causing your hit to be extremely smooth. It does have a lot of flavor loss though.
    The facet series with pentacle disc is a pretty nice piece for dabbing. It doesn't take very much flavor away while still providing a smooth hit.
    If you can find a mini recycler from Hamm waterworks I'd go for that, if concentrates are your choice of preference.
    What brands are you seriously looking at? Or are you keeping an open mind except keeping the budget at 400-?

18. Thank you for the information on your experience with mobius, especially about the penta disc. I'm sure our op will find that helpful.

19. #19 mrhappysmore, Apr 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2014
    Oh wow, yes I am definitely trying to find pieces for my dabbin' family! It's really great to know the penta-disc works that well. I'll definitely be checking out some Hamm waterworks right now, and unfortunately my budget cannot exceed $400.

Aw, man. I can't find any Hamm recyclers for under $400, the Penta-disc is looking strong. 

Also, I know we weren't talking about nails but I'll be buying a grade 2 universal Ti-nail with a carb cap and dabber by Titanowl on Ebay. He has a pretty good score (99.8%, 2 bad reviews out of 1000+ good) and he has the product for $45, I think it's a steal, hopefully not China grade.

20. It seems like the penta disc is in the lead.
    I like to play devils advocate, so here's some questions for your consideration:
    Isn't the mobius about a foot tall? Is that a little big for concentrates or is that about what you were looking for?
    Also, might it have too much diffusion? If there's such a thing.. I could see it being good for both flower and concentrate, but purely concentrate?
    Just trying to offer some perspective.

And you say the nail is grade 2 right?
    I'm not an expert with ti, but that should be all that matters, that's its grade 2.
    With that said, there are some things that I don't like to go cheap on.
    Because of what I subject my nails to, they fall into that category.