Consider This For Life.

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by shouting trees, Apr 14, 2014.

1. What if everything we experience and have experienced and will experience is all a simulation.
    Everyone we meet is made up.
    Then one day we wake up to find ourself being ready to be born and we have a better experience on how life would be.
    Share your thoughts please.

2. Solipsism, empirically speaking, is irrefutable.

3. What do you believe ?

4. We are a life form just as any other. We will all live and die and that's just how it is. IMO

"This ones called mindrape, it's actually pretty mellow"

Or we could accept the life we have and fight like hell to make it better.  So many people are trying to escape this world, trying to imagine a world just waiting out there that's better.  They wrap themselves in fantasies instead of seeing what's right in front of them.  This seems so tragic to me, such a waste of imagination.  Entire generations looking for an escape hatch or a reasonable facsimile.

It makes me wonder what kind of world we could create out of this one if we understood that there was nothing else and none to come? 

6. Interesting concept.

7. #7 Boats And Hoes, Apr 14, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2014

... so, let me guess, you can elucidate for others what's right in front of them, i.e., what really is, right? Because, I mean, you, without a doubt, have figured it all out, am I right?

8. #8 Boats And Hoes, Apr 14, 2014

I'm a "transcendental idealist", so, I believe all phenomenon is representational; that is to say, I believe empirical experience cannot disclose to us, directly, reality's true essence (for such a truth lies beyond the forms of our sensible-sensory intuition).

No.

10. #10 Boats And Hoes, Apr 14, 2014

So, why are you claiming, as anyone who can read between the lines can see, that those who believe in the hereafter are deluding themselves? What if those who don't are deluding themselves, out of oblivion, by believing what they see, presently, is ALL there is?

11. #11 pickledpie, Apr 14, 2014
    We could accept the life we have and fight like hell to make it better. To what end? We are bridled by desire, emotions and repulsions. We lack understanding of self and fall prey to the ego. Living blindly we destroy others and ourselves. What to you is real, is a moment which soon disappears. The self that you believe in too disappears.

Your goals subsist on illusion, all that you are is subject to dissolution, your reality isn't any more real than anyone else's.

12. #12 pickledpie, Apr 14, 2014
    Double post

13. sounds like matrix :)

14. #14 AK Infinity, Apr 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2014

I can't really speak to what I can't see or can't be proven, and again, an absence of proof isn't proof of anything.  All I can do is speak to what I can see and go on that.  People are free to believe what they wish, I'm not part of the thought police.  I offer my opinion which can be dismissed or not.  I will believe there's more to life when I'm offered objective evidence to that fact and not one moment before.  I'm not the kind of person that's persuaded based on bs. I need facts, figures and sane people that agree on the evidence, its just that simple.  People that try to convince me of things that are not seen or can't be proven, rightfully earn my scrutiny but again, you and anyone else at GrassCity are free to believe whatever you wish but I'm not going to be one of those people that follows along.

Again, this is just mumbo jumbo to me that I'm utterly unpersuaded by.  I'm aware that life is brief but its no illusion.  Additionally, I need objective facts to look at, then and only then will I be convinced otherwise.  To what end to make life better?  I thought that would really speak for itself.  To what end do we clean our houses and cut our lawns?  To what end to we tell the people around us that care that we love them?  To what end to we recycle and respect natural resources?  To what end do we try to deepen our understanding of this world's ecosystems and human impact?  To what end?  C'mon, because this is the world we currently live on and rely on for life, its commonsense to want to treat it kinder and understand it more.

15. You obviously don't understand what illusion is outside the context of your senses. Everything is a product of mind. When you're dreaming, you percieve things through the senses and think they are real. When you wake up you realize that it was an illusion. You base your life around desires and repulsions cultivated by the senses. Some are kind and empathetic, others are not. Some turn to vice and evil deeds to please their senses, some cultivate other senses that reject vice and accept virtue, love and compassion. You want to know why this is illusion? Because this dream ends and nobody knows what happens when it does.

I understand what dreams are and reality is.  I understand what I perceive "reality" is through my senses but I do not interpret life as an illusion as a result, especially the life that's happening around me.  I can't take life ending as the end of a "dream" on someone else's say so unless I have evidence.  I don't think that's a responsible frame of mind or is remotely responsible on my part.

When life ends as far as I understand it, that's it and simply because there isn't someone to persuade me either way doesn't mean that there's evidence that it does in some way.  Life's so much easier when lived around facts instead of faith in my humble opinion.  I choose to live my life with the information I have available, nothing more.

I listen to everyone's experience but not all information gained from that should be treated as credible, and without evidence I can't treat mere opinions as facts.

17. #17 TesseLated, Apr 15, 2014

Indeed-No matter what someone's beliefs are..whether this is an illusion or not- is moot. We are here now.

If I were to have my leg sawed off, for example, it would sure as hell feel real. I would bleed out and die whether it is an illusion or not. It's like the act of dying itself....so what? It's going to happen, does that change anything? No. 'Life is an illusion'-so what-does it change anything? No. Fun to think about, but doesn't really matter that much.

Teacher here on Spring Break bitches!  Gonna  :bongin: and dig in mah garden  :hippie:

*Since I'm a quote junkie-

We live in a fantasy world, a world of illusion. The great task in life is to find reality. ~Iris Murdoch

18. There's nothing that's objectively more credible or factual. Your own priorities dictate what you believe in, what's illusion and what's reality. Just understand that this experience is temporary and the self has no temporal or spatial location.

19. #19 Boats And Hoes, Apr 15, 2014

Fair enough; let man believe what he will... but lest he should forget that it's all belief...

1.) The whole question is -- where is "here"? In between objects? Do you mark your position in life by where you remain in relation to physical entities like being "in-front" of a computer and "inside" of a room, which is "in" so and so state, and "in" so and so country, all aforementioned places being "on" planet earth? Now where is planet earth? in between "venus" and "mars" - all of them floating around a real hot ball? Notice the inescapable relativity. And where are these collosoal objects in an ALL encompassing space? How do we determine and find where we "are" in an infinity of space, this infinite abyss, i.e., without regard to the relations discerned by man's superficial and desultory sensory-perception? "Here" most likely isn't where you think it is.. but, hey, look at the picture however you like.

You say, "If I were to have my leg sawed off, for example, it would sure as hell feel real. I would bleed out and die whether it is an illusion or not." -- Since you like quotes and all... "Mutability is our tragedy, but it's also our hope. The worst of time, like the best, are always passing away."

20. #20 Boats And Hoes, Apr 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2014

The Self is not in locatable in space! As the extended body is.

If one were to open a man's tangible cranium, said person would not and could not locate and find the subject's intangible thoughts, perception, passions, internal experience, etc., they would simply see, empirically, a bunch of physio-chemical processes. The self is unmanifest and un-determinable, spatially, empirically, as the physical flesh is both manifest and determinable, spatially, empirically. That should say a lot.

"There's something funny about our conscious experience, it seems not to be locatable in space. That could mean absolutely nothing, or it might mean a little something, or it might be a huge clue. I'm willing to accept the possibility that it's a huge clue."