Help With Lights

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Lynchy1984, Apr 13, 2014.

1. Definitely the latter.

2. Bigger is always better when it comes to lighting. :smoke:

3. Thanks, is there a better option? I'll only be growing 1 at a time

Look for used equipment on craigslist... IMO that is a much better option than buying new from ebay. A 600W MH/HPS ballast and a couple bulbs would be the best option, IMO, but I'm old school like that. lol I would rather not try LED's, personally.

5. The first type is no good for growing, it just doesnt have the intensity. The second will grow a small plant though. It won't be great but it will get you something.

If you are able to install proper ventilation then go for an hps. Or if you want it cheap go with CFLs. What is the size of your grow space?

6. thanks, Thenspace I have is 1m x 1m x 2m high

7. With a grow area that big why not just buy a 600 watt HPS and a 6" inline exhaust fan? With that set up you can pull 15 ounces every 3 months. 

CFLs and LEDs are low intensity so to cover a metre square you have to use a lot of them. One 600w HPS will cover it nicely and you have the height to use it properly

8. Thanks goldgrower, have been thinking about 4 300w full spectrum cfl bulbs for heat and power consumption. Would this be as effective and 1 600w hps?

You don't really mean 300W cfl, do you? I'm thinking they are really 65W or somewhere around there? If that is the case, then the 600W hps would trump the cfl's any day. The lumen output is what you should be looking at. The more lumens, the faster and better your plants will grow.

10. I'm not sure of your logic here. 4x 300 watts is 1200 watts. That's double the electricity consumption of the 600 watts HPS, and you are considering it because of power consumption?

1200 watts of CFLs would work, you would get a nice harvest, you may even be able to match the harvest of the 600 watt HPS but it will cost twice as much to run and probably kick out just as much heat 

11. Ok thanks goldgrower, will probs go for hps then would you recommend using 2 different bulbs or a full spectrum one?

12. If you don't mind paying for an HPS and a MH bulb and of course you get a ballast that can run both then I recommend buying one of each. But a duel spectrum, or even a standard HPS bulb will veg and flower just fine.

I very much advise getting a dimmable ballast just in case you have heat problems you can switch it down to 400w. With summer around the corner (assuming you live in the northern hemisphere) it is worth having the option

13. Thanks guys, will be much simpler with just one light to fit and run just planted my seeds so gonna get the light ordered Tuesday

I know you wanted LED but to get a good grow go with a powerful light.

The LED grows that rock are done by some good ass growers who could get kick ass buds with any light. Some skill required.

If you are ordering and just getting started try hydro first. I have a little tub like this with about 3 ounces of bud and its still growing.

http://www.amazon.com/Stealth-Hydroponics-DWC-Basic-Kit/dp/B005K2VKK2/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1398015183&sr=8-6&keywords=hydroponics+growing+system