Central Cali Newbie

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by beaker350, Apr 12, 2014.

1. Hello GrassCity Patrons,

This is Beaker350 coming at you from wonderful Monterey County, CA. I'm happy to say that I am finally in a space where I can comfortably grow my own meds! I just recently purchased my own home with my fiancé in January and having a 9000sq lot is definitely a godsend!

I have a background in Agriculture Science and Biology. For the past 3 years, I've consulted many local (new and inexperienced) growers and I've been able to learn ALOT from working through THEIR mistakes! I have a solid knowledge of germination techniques, Soil Prep, Nutes, biological cycles, pest prevention and Pest eradication.

I'm young, but I have very old school habits when I consume MJJ. I'm strictly a Joint, Blunt, Cigarillo and pipe smoker. I'm very much into the aromatic/fruity strains that give more of the uplifting effect. I like being active when I'm high. (No offense to any of the couchlockers)

I currently have 2 OG Kush plants in flower. One of which is aaaaalmost ready to harvest, and the other is foxtailing like a motherfucker! I have 3 seedling popping their first leaves too. I have a couple of miscellaneous seeds in storage, but I plan to order some good shit soon. Any recommendations on where to get good seeds? I'm going to strictly grow outdoors and in pots/planters.

I really want to produce well cured and great tasting weed. I want to have that Artisan Weed, Jah'feel? I wouldn't mind having a cure go on for Months or even a year. THATS MY ULTIMATE GOAL. Produce well cured, great tasting, outdoor, organic MMJ. Its that or BUST.

For now, I attach a few pictures of my baby that is ready to harvest any day now. I took the photos last weekend, and I've taken off all the drying fan-leaves since the photos. I'll make sure to post a photo of all the wonderful buds tonight!

Thanks for reading,
    Beaker350

Attached Files:

2. Beaker, those are some plants!  Beautiful- you do have the green thumb and obviously the knowledge to grow.

3. Thanks. Much appreciated!

Growing is easy. I'm nervous about the drying and curing though. Seem pretty straight forward and I think I'll be able to have enough patience for it. Its all a matter of having the right equipment and  space. Which I now have!

General anxiety is all... but hey, I'm well stocked with meds, soooo any and all anxiety will be gone. lol

4. Well, you have done great so far- your grow is awesome.  If you need to review harvesting, drying, and curing there are some videos on YouTube, and I'm sure there's a pinned post that explains it, too.  I have a feeling it comes naturally to you.

5. Your grow looks awesome! Drying and curing will be a piece of cake! Very easy to do when following the guidelines on this forum! I have one quick question if I may....do you take out oversized fan leaves during the grow or just leave them all attached? There are several theories on this, but looking at your grow, I think your opinion would definitely carry much weight for me! Keep up the awesome work! Your girls are sure beauties!  :gc_rocks:

6. TGA offers several fine uplifting sativas. Check out Vortex, a personal favorite of mine.

7. Thanks FP. I'll look in to that.

I would be more inclined to keep them on. Any time you take off leaves and branches from a plant, you open up a wound... Which could be susceptible to pests. Mold and insects primarily. People say that you have to take them off so all the energy goes into producing flower. That is more than likely true, but for me it's not worth wounding my plants.

Biologically, the plant will ALREADY send all off its energy and nutes to the flower. This is evident by seeing dying fan leaves. You should be able to take off fan leaves with minimal effort. That's when I took them off. Most were dry and crumbly.

Here are a couple of pics from this afternoon. Took off the dried out fan leaves. I was planning to cut it down this weekend, but the weather has been really nice! I still see growth. More gains, bro!

Attached Files:

8. I see that you are growing outdoors? Is there a difference between removing fan leaves when growing indoors/outdoors? I realize growing outdoors, that the plants need the fan leaves to provide water and nutes to the plants if conditions change. But indoors, the conditions are forced to be equal. Would that influence you to be more prone to remove fan leaves growing indoors? I haven't removed any fan leaves on this second grow to see if it makes a difference. It just looks so crowded and not sure how anyone is getting any light down below. I'm using 2 HPS 1,000 w bulbs. Thanks! :gc_rocks:

9. I unfortunately do not have any experience with growing indoors. But I do know that the main problems in indoor growing is ventilation and distribution of light. If ventilation is insufficient and you wound the plant, you might develop mold at the wound site.

If I felt like my plant was too crowded at the bottom, I would train the stems to grow laterally. Get some sticks and string/zip ties. Put the sticks into the dirt or whatever medium you're using. Zip-tie a branch to the stick. You want to create separation between the branch and the heart of the plant.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Grasscity Forum mobile app

10. Awesome! Thank you very much! I'll give that a try...was trying SCROG but it's far too crowded and on my second grow, much, much taller...thanks for your response!  :gc_rocks:

11. Just be gentle. You don't want to snap any branches.

12. I think it's funny you like uplifting buds but have ogs growing. Lol but tssc is good place to order seeds.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

13. Yeah the OG Kush will be for sleeping lol. I'm heading to Santa Cruz to pick up a few Jack Herrer seeds today. One of my personal faves.

14. Good call. If you're ever down in the la area throw me a pm and I can possibly throw some blue dream seeds if you're legal in ca.

15. I'll take you up on that bro. I should be going soon. I'm getting married in October, so I'm planning a trip to the fashion district for a suit. Lol. I'll see if I can get some seeds from local growers. There is a strain called Oaxacan Burmese. INTENSE body high, almost no head high. Crazy shit. Tastes almost like Romulan. Nice and Piney. If you'd like some in exchange. 8)

16. I have a bunch of romulan hybrids also

17. Dammit. My other fave. Lol

18. I came across a super fire romulan a while back and decided I was going to cross it with everything else I had at the time haha. I have ww x romulan, private reserve og x romulan, an I think maybe some Afghani or Skywalker x romulan. :)

19. They sound like heavy hitters dude. Good sleeping meds.

20. Id recoomend cutting the plants at the medium when you harvest. Hang the whole thing upside down so that the oils in the stems will move towards the buds.

I use to cut colas off n always had problems, but cutting the plant helped.

Mason jars and burping them is how i do it. Put them in a cabinet, basement or other dark place.

Heres a couple helpful pics as well:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you want 50 colas the size of that big one you have lsting is how to get there^

im in central cali too, nice to see a fellow neighbor.

Keep up the good work!

-poke