Does it make sense to think children are afraid of the dark for instinct

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by Sc0pe, Apr 12, 2014.

1. In prehistoric times you would be more likely to be killed by an animal in the dark because our eyes arent good for nightvision, also if you stayed around a fire at night you are more likely to live

2. What trips me out is that my infant twins freak out in the dark n get all clingy.

Til that point i thought it was a learned behavior.

They dont freak out indoors in the dark either and theyre only 10 months old.

If were goin for a walk and the sun goes down they start cryin

3. let them grow until theyre able to walk on their own properly and see if they do what i did, i remember when id be walking around the house at night i would run from say the bathroom to my bedroom whenever i turned the light off

4. Entirely possible. I haven't the time to google up the details :D
    It seems to me that since at no point were our evolutionary ancestors apex predators, they would have developed all the natural instincts of a prey animal, which includes seeking a known 'safehouse' when the primary sense organs are disabled. We have obviously inherited those qualities, but most of those will naturally fade over the millennia because technology. But then we may not make it that far, because warmongering assholes and nukilar weppins. :D

I think that kind of logic would still apply today in most situation. 

6. i feel like in todays society we have generally moral masses of people, but behind them the worse of us are getting worse at the same time

7. back in the hunter gatherer times when the sun went down the only light was the fire you had to build, other than that pretty much complete darkness. humans are out matched enough in the wild let alone with out proper vision. the monsters ie tigers, bears and other creepy shit come out and you can't see em but can hear them, fuck that id still be scared if i faced a tiger or bear in the dark today with a gun.
    it makes sense that we are scared of the dark and the monsters in it now because at one point in time our ancestors were livin it. they were scarred but dealt with it. the fear is still ingrained in us we just don't have to face it anymore because we removed them from the average persons day to day life. which could be why instead of fearing bears and shit now we make up new monsters like werewolves and swamp men, boogie man ect and fear them.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

8. The follow link is a excerpt chapter from Dr. Gregory Carey's textbook entitled Human Genetics for the Social Sciences. Dr. Carey has made available certain chapters of his books for public education purposes.

This chapter is entitled "The Principles of Evolutionary Psychology" and offers a preliminary description of how phobias can manifest themselves cross-culturally (6-8).

I thought you folks might find those insights useful.

9. It makes sense that if you can't see anything around you then you're going to be less secure in your surroundings.

10. I'm sure its instinctual, like fear of heights and other general potentially dangerous situations

11. oh shit, ive never had someones way of thinking match up with mine like that, with a newly formed imagination tigers and bears would definitely be thought of as a monster back then
    especially when someone you knew got taken by them often

12. I'd love to recommend this volume. It discusses exactly that, in great specific ethnographic detail. It not only outlines one of the major theoretical paradigms of anthropology in the 20th century, but is also brilliantly written. Lévi-Strauss was a charming gentleman, and a keen scholar, and you'll rarely be bored with his books.

[​IMG]

13. ill be sure to check it out

14. I interviewed an illegal alien a few years back for a college cultural anthropology class.

He described a simple life in mexico.

Rise with the sun, sleep when its dark. Candles are expensive. To drink water he dug a hole til it filled up, poured it through a tv shirt, boiled it and drank it.

To eat they fish. No rent, no jobs, no oranges, which tripped me out.

Some parts of the world havent changed since we realized we were smarter than other animals. Jus thought it was worth mentioning.

15. And those are the parts that are now smarter than us 'civilised' folk, if only because of our debilitating social inertia of stupidity.

16. If the fear was instinctive than adults would also share it.

Children are less experienced in the world and cannot reason as well because of it, so therefore are more prone to projecting their imaginations onto circumstances they are not accustomed to.

17. adults wouldnt also share it necessarily, we could start off with this fear and then learn to control it with rational thinking 

18. Learning to control an impulse is not the same as not having the impulse. What about adults scarcely capable of rational thought?

Fear of the dark is fear of the unknown in my opinion, and the unknown is only fearful because of the fears that we project onto it.

19. i was thinking that the fear of the dark might be linked to fear of the unkown since we cant see = unknown = unknown can harm us = scared

20. My daughter wasnt afraid of the dark until her older cousins came over and said they are afraid of the dark.

I dont believe its a natural fear. It became a fear when she learned that there could be something to fear.

Sent from my LG-E739 using Grasscity Forum mobile app