Evolution in action: Mudskipper - a fish that lives on land

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by g0pher, Apr 12, 2014.

1. #21 Al XE the Bud, Apr 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2014
    Isn't it possible the mudskipper's evolved into a whole bunch of the animals we see today?
    We could be one of them too! 

ALL HAIL THE MUDSKIPPER 

Hmm, maybe that'll be my signature now :D

Evidence please :)
    Also, 'chaos' is perfectly capable of creating 'order', to put it in human terms. Consider the development of planetary systems. Random cloud of gas turns into a system of spheres orbiting other spheres along necessarily elliptical paths.
    It's just that we perceive 'order' and 'chaos' as being real and tangible absolutes. The fact is that they are merely human perceptions, and we can know no different because we're the only intelligent species we know.
    Of course we think we're special. Ego is a very real thing, m'boy :D

2. #22 Boats And Hoes, Apr 16, 2014

... then, by your very logic, so is thinking that evolution, or planet formation, takes place by a blind, undirected, and fortuitous "natural" process. We see the picture how we want (or we just place our hands over our eyes).

"Also, 'chaos' is perfectly capable of creating 'order', to put it in human terms" -- 'Chaos' is not an agent... 'chaos' does not create.

P.S.
    There is no ego involved on my side... but, you should know that pride plays a big factor in one adamantly denying their own peculiarity.

3. Should not have engaged him.. an anti-science troll in the science section will never make any progress.

4. #24 Boats And Hoes, Apr 16, 2014
    lol How much pride and partially is invested in mainstream science? Just because my opinion doesn't coincide with yours or AI's does not mean I am "anti" science..

I am not against nor anti "science", no more than I am against or anti empirical observation, but I am against scientific consensus and democratically elected truths...

"Science should leave off making pronouncements: the river of knowledge has too often turned back on itself." - Sir James Jean

“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are a part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.” - Max Planck

5. True, that. But I'm a whore for this sort of thing :D

I was referring to the ego of humans as a race that tends to cause extrapolation from insufficient data to invariably cause us to grasp at more appealing possibilities, with no regard to the probability or even feasibility.

I quite agree that we observe the order arising out of evolution from a human perspective. As we do to star formation or anything else. For the purposes of communication, we have to agree upon the standards of the human perspective. You propose that what we observe as an ordered biological system cannot arise out of what we perceive as a disorderly chaotic situation consisting of electric discharge, myriad complex chemical reactions, etc without an overseeing creator/programmer/designer/whatever. I humbly ask you for evidence supporting your claim.
    Forgive that gargantuan sentence, but I seem to be deficient in my ability to communicate my thoughts to you accurately.

What 'elected truths'? That's somewhat paradoxical in my opinion :D
    Nobody's forcing you to believe anything. What I am doing trying to have a meaningful discussion, a swapping of views with you.
    There is no 'election' to reach a consensus. Just a bunch of facts and theories that common sense and objective logical analysis cause us to agree upon, when we use those faculties. If, however, somebody would choose to disagree for whatever reason, they are free to do so. During the course of a scientific discussion however, I imagine you will be expected to be reasonable and present proper evidence beyond wordplay and quotes to support your claims.