How often to flush? Is it good for plant?

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by davidwest69, Apr 12, 2014.

1. How often do I flush my plants? Currently in Veg.

Is flushing often beneficial for them in veg stage or flowering?

2. I flushed for 48hours before harvest.

3. I'm vegging bro. 

4. I use a minimum of fertilizers.

I dont flush at all.

It may be needed for people pumping the ferts to them when not needed. Hydro is nothing to flushing.

Flushing would be a huge butt fucker in my basement hauling out heavy soggy root balls. Fuck that.

Not till you are getting close to harvesting the plant. or fucked up and overfed.

6. Right brilliant thanks for that information.

7. I don't flush at all. There's certainly no reason to while vegging. But even when flowering I keep the nutrient solution the same ratio as what the plants are taking up at any given day. In the last 2-3 weeks the plants uptake hardly any nutes so the EC gets dropped to match

8. Mine ash is white.

9. You really only need to flush if you've been overfeeding them nitrogen (which causes the leafy green taste). I use Lucas' formula and there's not much nitrogen in it anyways so I just keep it the same strength throughout the entire grow. According to Lucas, flushing is only useful for toilets.

10. I always stress the importance of flushing. I know people have their own opinion but i notice the difference, it is very obvious when you know the signs.

I found a vid that explains the reasons why you should flush, i now show this to anybody that asks why they should. You dont realise how much better your weed is to smoke when it is flushed.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=rya1UE20jo0

11. So I'm thinking to flush during the last week of flowering for about 2-3 days is that good?

12. 2 weeks before harvest only use water no ferts.

13. My plants have been vegging for 2 weeks and im going to keep vegging for another 2. Then flower for 4 weeks...the canna schedule states that I should be using the boost right till the end...im confused

14. #14 GoldGrower, Apr 14, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2014
    I don't believe you can truly flush a plant, you simply can't take nutes back out of the plant. However, you can flush the soil so the plants will have a lower nutrient rich medium, which will be preferred during the last couple of weeks. But in hydro if you keep your EC/ppm at the same figure as what the plants are taking up you will see a drastic drop in the last couple of weeks. Matching this could be called a "flush" but in reality nothing is actually getting flushed

15. #15 The Letter 3, Apr 14, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2014
    You are most likely going to be flowering upwards of twice that length of time, if not longer.

http://forum.grasscity.com/index.php?/topic/1290525-400w-MH/HPS-mixed

16. Flushing does nothing unless you have a toxic level of salts in your medium.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Grasscity Forum mobile app

so its not compulsory? 

18. Flushing before you harvest has never been proven to help the bud. If anything you should cut the nutrients down to half as plants seem to like less nutrients at the end of their flowering stage. Cuting off your plants food supply for days at a time can slow its growth.

19. I believe your wrong on that one man. Flushing is forcing the plants to use the rest of the nutrients built up inside itself for a smoother better taste. I don't know about you, but to me a unflushed bud is very harsh and very hard to keep lit. As a fully flushed plant is way smoother.

Sent from my Z930L using Grasscity Forum mobile app

20. #20 GoldGrower, Apr 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2014

I don't disagree with the result of "flushing" but I'm not so sure that's how it happens. I know it's the most popular theory and lots of people think it's that way. But for me I think it's from a different reason. In the last couple of weeks my plants take up pretty much no nutes at all, but still plenty of water, just a very low nutrient to water ratio. I believe it uses nutrients from the leaves and direct it to the bud because it's more efficiently gathered and already in a form it can directly use and it won't be needing the leaves at that point, it's all about the seeds, or in our cases bud. 

Having a higher concentration of nutes in the water than the plant is currently taking up slows water uptake. This hindrance of water uptake may well have an effect on the bud. All the water will eventually be dried out so I'm definitely missing a piece of the puzzle somewhere.

To put it simply, I believe the bud still carries on receiving nutrients at a steady rate but it's nutes from the leaves not from the dissolved nutrients in the water.

By the process of osmosis having excess nutes below ground will slow the movment of the nutrients from the leaves as the plant becomes dehydrated.

Clearly I'm not 100% on this but I'm sure it's impossible to literally flush a plant of its nutrients. Flushing the soil can certainly be done.

I haven't noticed any realistic differences between a flushed plant and one that hasn't. But I suspect if you overdose the plant with nutes it may well make a difference. I don't overdose, so I don't flush. I just keep the EC stable at all times