Could you guys take a look at the BHO Ive made and give me pointers?

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by RedMagpie, Apr 12, 2014.

1. I have made BHO twice now. I used some basic internet tutorials and wasn't able to get the help of anyone who had made it before. I was hoping I could tell you guys what I did and get some pointers for next time. 

So my first run I didn't have a tube of any kind so I used a wine bottle with a hole in the bottom. I packed it tightly with trim and ran through four cans of butane. My logic for that was that if a "tube" required three cans (according to my local smoke shop) then the wine bottle would need at least four. I extracted it into a Pyrex dish that was in about an inch of water on medium heat. After extraction I let it sit on medium heat for about an hour then scraped it. As you can see from the pics, it's rather dark ( all the bud flakes in there are from the past few weeks of use). I got a lot. That dish is about 3/4 in tall and two inches wide and it was half full. I have been smoking about 12 dabs a day for three weeks off of it and it's about 2/3 gone. It is really very potent, but I've had a lot of people mention that the color is off and one person even refused to smoke it. It is very thick and sticky like sap.

The second run, I got a tube and filled it with trim and ran through one can of butane. I did this four times with new trim each time into a Pyrex dish that was on no heat. I thought maybe the heat was my color problem. I then set it in an inch of water on very LOW heat for 30 mins. Is scraped it up and it was still really runny. I let it sit overnight and then in the morning kind of stirred it and it got a lot thicker. It is a gorgeous color but it doesn't seem as potent. I am not sure if that is because of my tolerance being so high now or what. I also got a LOT less. The dish the second batch is in a third of the size of the first one. I think I got about 1/6th the amount as before. It also is a little runnier, more like honey. I am not too worried about that though as I have seen people with BHO that was very powdery, runny or hard. I am more concerned about the potency and yield.

I do not have any more money to spend so a vacuum purger is out. Other than that I am open to all suggestions but please try and keep your explanation simple. Sometimes it is really hard for me to follow written instructions and it doesn't do me any good to hear a bunch of language that I don't understand! :) Thanks so much ahead of time. Hopefully the third time's the charm!

Attached Files:

2. i see a good amount of plant matter in that first picture, it could be worse, it could be better. can only do so well without the right equipment, id stick to flowers.

3. #3 RedMagpie, Apr 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2014
    All that plant matter in there got there after I made it. I accidentally spilled some ground up bud into it. I did have the right stuff for the second run though I thought. And does the second stuff look okay?

4. if you arent vac purging, you need to leave your dish on 100-110F heat for 3-4 days before scraping

what kind of tane are you using?

5. You need to purge a hell of a lot longer

Sent from my ADR6350 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

6. Will purging it longer make it more potent? What about the yield?

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

7. what about the yield? it will make it safe to smoke lol