Grow Show by Rancho

Discussion in 'Organic Grow Journals' started by RanchoDeluxe, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Sometimes I'll grow barley in a standard 10x20 propagation tray, especially in the winter, for no real reason other than to have a patch of grass in my house.

I was shooting for patches of both dead and living mulch in my bed. Started by throwing a handful of alfalfa pellets on the bare soil, then maybe half an inch of composted pine bark mulch and started some Fenugreek seeds. Waited a week and threw a bunch of red clover down, some native grass, some leaves, a few handfuls of lava rock and bio-char.

I usually just use a couple inches of leaves as the base of my mulch, but I decided to use what was on hand. It's crazy how much life is lacking in this brand new soil. Nothing compared to having a soil that's over a year old. It will get there eventually. On a positive note, I came home from work today and found praying leaves...stoked. No foliar, SST or anything...just a couple gallons of plain water yesterday.

2. Hello Rancho....found your thread! I always like your info so this is gonna be a cool place to lurk and learn.

3. Hey thanks for stopping by man. I just realized my journal is in the wrong section. I should probably see if Chunk can move this over to the right place.

4. what section should it be in?

Sent from my N861 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

5. Isn't there a section specifically for Organic Grow Journals? It seems like alot of forums will just have a Grow Journal section and I don't like hanging much w/ chem growers. But this place has a spot for Organics.

6. #46 Gandalf_the_Green, Apr 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2014
    Yeah, you're in the wrong area technically..... Under 'Marijuana Cultivation' there is a section called 'Grow Journals' which has 4 sub-sections: Indoor, Outdoor, Hydro, and Organic.

Edit:  I'm sure @[member="Chunk"] can fix it......

[​IMG]

8. So I was reading some really old posts here at GC, and I became aware that Whitney Farms is affilliated w/ Scotts -aka Monsanto. Really bums me out I got this stuff in my soil mix...oh well.

I'm gonna have to make this journal a 'to be continued later'...I'm off to NorCal for 3-6 months. I'll post up a couple pics before I hit the road.

9. Have a safe trip Rancho!

10. Hey just popping in to see what's been going on. This grow of mine is getting close to being done from what I hear. A friend of mine with no experience at all has nearly finished them. Apparently a few pics have been taken as well.

Might be heading home in a couple months or I may end up staying and doing some full sunners. Anyhow hope all you guys and gals are doing just groovy.

11. DSC01300.JPG DSC01299.JPG

Hey everyone :metal:

Here's what's left of these plants. The one with the pink pistils is cherry bomb. Must have been a beautiful plant in flower. The yield was 11.5 oz.'s. Water only. Done by a friend of mine with absolutely no experience. The cherry bomb yielded a little over 5 zips. I had a feeling she was a keeper from the very beginning. Very unique high...not sleepy at all but it's not racy either. 

As far as flavor goes I'm really unsure of what I got...same as smell. This is for two reasons. Horrible trim/cure job. And I noticed when I got back an ozone generator was running. Not in the same room but I'm not currently living in a big place. Everything does taste incredibly smooth, however, joints don't stay lit very long. The TO/SC99 looks like shit, fluffy and just like shit. But goddamn am I stoned as shit right now.

Oh yeah...what you're looking at here is an attempt to re-veg these plants in order to take cuts. The one and only time I've done this was back in '97...uphill both ways :smoking:

12. #52 RanchoDeluxe, Aug 11, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2014
    DSC01298.JPG DSC01297.JPG DSC01296.JPG

Here's some shitty pictures my buddy took. It's funny that he used his thumb as a reference because he can probably palm a basketball with 3 fingers. The way he had these plants tied up was hilarious. I'm guessing there was some heat stress from being too close to the lights. All in all it's pretty cool that he was able to pull this off at all.

Coming Next:

My thought on commercial Nor-Cal growing and a look inside the ole wormbin.

13. Man, I go work on a pot farm and I get demoted from an advanced member to just plain ole member??!!

What's a guy got to do to catch a break around here?

DSC01304.JPG

Anyhow, here's a picture of my wormbin.

DSC01303.JPG

Here's a bag of some shitty Whitney Farms AKA Monsanto Compost. I dumped this in the lower bin a little over 3 months ago...I'm glad it's all gone now.

DSC01301.JPG

This is what it looked like after being gone for 3 months and absolutely nothing had been done other than dumping a bag of compost on top of some worms that had just been screened out from the last run.

Here is what I use to screen em out. It's a cat litter pan. Sometimes I place 1/4" hardware mesh inside it for an even finer product.
    DSC01305.JPG

And finally without any real surprise...I found a few worms when I scratched around the surface.
    DSC01302.JPG

14. My thoughts on the Nor-Cal commercial growing is that it's a dirty, ugly, business. There ain't no glamour or glory in it. Not much love either. A few people I met grew with some sort of ethics. But mostly there was a lot of wastefulness. Especially when it came to water. The use of extremely toxic chemicals was commonplace. It sucks walking into a greenhouse and finding dead butterflies all over the floor. I'm not the same person I was before I left. I'm disgusted and tired. 

15. Yo what up TJ?  Looks like I got some catching up to do. How ya been man?

16. Not much dude I'm purdy good. Glad to have ya back! And good to see that bed still rockin! Northern California is out of control. People are just polluting and destroying the land. It's such a shame..

17. Howdy Rancho! Welcome back. I'm sorry to hear that your trip was such a negative experience. I always imagined it being full of folks who want to make sure it's all being done the right way at least for the sake of the cause. Greed f's it up again eh?

18. What's up Rancho! Good to have you back. Sorry the adventure wasn't all that.

19. Welcome back rancho, good to see ya back :bongin: