ever seen a coral snake?

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by chomolungma, Apr 9, 2014.

1. Where I grew up the marshy areas in the woods were invested with them. Mean as hell too. I've been chased by them just got walking past while they are sunning themselves. I would always carry a long walking stick to whack them with, can't stand those damn things. I used to have reoccurring nightmares about walking through my front yard surrounded by thousands of them.

2. I only seen a garden snake once

I threw it into the ocean with a stick. I was a little asshole back in the day

Omega369

3. Went off trail and had a Cottonmouth strike my stick once.
    Freaked the fuck out.

4. All I have to say is shoot, shovel, shut up

Ill have my guns, money, and freedom. Y'all can keep y'alls change.

5. Never in the wild, I've never lived far enough south to be in their habitat. Seen plenty of cottonmouths, copperheads, and rattlers though :eek:

And of course plenty of nonpoisonous snakes. We have a pet ball python :)

6. Looks like an amazon coral snake.

Kinda fucked up to catch one just to kill and stuff it.  They make good pets, despite their dangerous venom.

They're actually quite docile.  Elapids, despite popular belief, can actually become tame.  (though you still should never free handle one!)

• Like Like x 1
  7. That's cool and all but nah brah don't kill the poor thing and stuff it just because it's a "rare find". Take pics with it or something a release it.

8. eh yeah i'm pretty reluctant to killing anything, and i even empathize with snakes.... but,
    i would recognize the gravity of taking one if that's what i ended up doin, and thats on me

9. To each his own I guess but I mean seriously brah if you were just chilling in your home one day enjoying yourself and this big ass weird creature came along and captured you just to rip out your insides and stuff you. How would you feel?

• Like Like x 1
  10. I'm not a big fan of his idea of killing one just to stuff it, especially if they are as rare as he makes it sound. If anything I think it would be cooler to keep it as a pet provided he can take care of such a dangerous pet responsibly.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Milksnake=red kingsnake

Sent from my iPad using Grasscity Forum

12. Coral snake has rear fangs and it has to "chew" on its prey to release the venom from the rear.

Sent from my iPad using Grasscity Forum

13. I'd capture it, then eat it to consume its rare juices

Omega369

14. That's incorrect.  They have fixed-fangs, not rear fangs.  You're thinking of the boomslang, which is actually a species of constrictor, the only known species of colubrid with venom capable of killing a human.  There are a few other colubrids with venom, like lyre snakes, which also have rear-fangs, other rear-fanged snakes being night-snakes, and hognosed snakes.

BTW, my identification was incorrect, the species i failed to ID correctly is an eastern coral snake.

15. Never knew that about NZ ! Totally figured there'd be snakes !

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

16. #36 smguffer, Apr 2, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2017
    I'm a big snake guy.. I've loved them since i was 2 years old (according to my Dad) .. i've probably caught over 500 snakes.. and have ever only seen a poisonous snake twice in the wild. Both times it was a copper head. (midwest U.S.)