ever seen a coral snake?

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by chomolungma, Apr 9, 2014.

1. #1 chomolungma, Apr 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2014
    anyone ever seen a coral snake? they're very reclusive and fairly uncommon, but also very venomous.

i've seen kingsnakes and milksnakes, which look similiar and aren't poisionous, but never one of these

you know how the saying goes "red on yella kill a fella, red on black a friend of jack"

well yeah these are the ones that will kill you....

coral snake.jpg

2. how did you happen upon him?

3. #3 chomolungma, Apr 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2014
    i've never seen one, the picture is from google

my dad is a biologist and has worked in the field his whole life, and he said he's only seen about six
    and that they were usually about a foot long and as big around as your pinky
    according to wikipedia however, they're typically 3-5 feet long

i'm asking because i'd really like to catch one and have it taxidermied... but i wouldn't want one that was only a foot long

4. No bueno. Taken a snake jab once before and I'm not keen to repeat the experience. Dicey, dicey.

Unfamiliar with the coral, but I've spied a coastal taipan (3rd most venomous in Australia) a couple times and locked eyes with an Eastern Brown (2nd in the world). I don't fuck with snakes.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Seen a kingsnake crawl from under a big rock one time..could have been a coral but I doubt it..I was really young and didn't know the saying about the differences..I wasn't planning on getting that close to it anyway lol

6. seems like everything down there is poisionous lol

i've dealt with thousands of cottonmouths in the swamp, they are much more dangerous than the coral because they are very territorial and will bite anything that moves, also they're extremely common

however, a coral, even though its venom is extremely potent, they're supposed to be pretty docile and they rarely kill people

they're not endangered or anything, so i just thought it would be cool to catch one and have it mounted (mostly because they look badass and no one ever sees them)... i would be very very careful though... and yeah after being bit by a snake, i can understand why you wouldn't wanna mess with one

• Like Like x 1
  7. Fuck snakes

8. I don't fuck with snakes and spiders g.

Sent from DEA Headquarters

9. I've seen so many it's not funny. When I did landscaping trimming palm trees and bushes they like to chill out in the palm tree bark.

Sent from my HTC One

• Like Like x 1
  10. That guy looks amazing. I'm both fascinated by, and petrified of snakes.

Was that correct grammatically speaking?

Sent

• Like Like x 1
  11. came right up on a diamondback rattler once mountain biking on my favorite trail. i was going so fast i almost ran him right over... and i was going so fast he barely noticed me i think.

12. Red on Black your ok jack
    Red on yellow kills a fellow

13. For those of you who think the snake is pretty and would make a cool pet, there are non-poisonous king snakes that look similar to coral snakes! King snakes make good pets- I used to have a few when I was a kid. We would catch them and lizards for "short term pets"- we released them after a week or two (at Mom's insistence! LOL).  Corn snakes are also cool looking!

Granny

14. i saw the look alike one non poisonous one once, it was in the creek by my house as a child, i almost stepped on him.. showed my parents, they knew about coral snakes, looked it up, wrong pattern, was harmless...

15. Snakes creep me right the fuck out.

16. I've never seen a snake IRL

I've been led to believe that some dude called Patrick climbed up a mountain and threw all the snakes out of the country.

17. #17 MisterNatural, Apr 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2014
    Seen many. They're quite common in this part of Florida. All that I've seen were pretty small and not aggressive at all, very easy to catch and relocate. They get inside homes and buildings a lot. Absolutely beautiful and benevolent creatures in my experience.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Where do you live? Are snakes not indigenous to your area?

19. St. Patrick drove all the snakes out of Ireland :)

New Zealand, Iceland, Greenland, Antarctica and Ireland are the only snake-less countries thanks to the ice age (now, that's not to say that there aren't people with imported pet snakes). There are no native lizards either.

I suppose you could say the tale of good ol' Paddy fucking the snakes off a mountain is allegorical. Snakes are symbols of evil in Judeo-Christian beliefs. Oh yeah, that's another great thing st Paddy did.. banished our native pagan beliefs in favour of catholicism. The whole shamrock/Ireland thing is because Paddy was trying to explain the christian holy trinity to the Irish people. He picked a shamrock and pointed to the three leaves, 'Father, Son and the Holy spirit'.