thegardeners spot

Discussion in 'Organic Grow Journals' started by gardnerthegardener, Apr 8, 2014.

1. Congrats buddy! :wave: the plants look great, man. That zazen is not lookin so hot, ey?... er 'em excuse me.. I meant z÷x..... lol... haven't had much luck with that strain, ey? the clover is comin in great... How long does it take to come in like that for ye?

I'd try PM'ing either CompostWhisperr or 420inmi or G45 about the HVAC questions. They've all got pretty good-sized rooms and a decent amount of exp with that kind of stuff.
    And what is the worm bedding?

2. Thanks bro!

3. #43 gardnerthegardener, Jun 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2014
    What up TJ! Thanks dude! Yea, not so much luck with the z___n so far. 2 down now. Gonna have to pop the rest at once or something. Oh well, gots plenty of other genetics to play with. The mulch is around 5 weeks old I think on those 2 pots.

I'll hit G45 up in his thread about the a/c. Not wanting to get to spendy as this is a rental. But Rollin in the 90's lights out come July might be a bit extreme, lol
    What up TJ! Thanks dude! Yea, not so much luck with the z___n so far. 2 down now. Gonna have to pop the rest at once or something. Oh well, gots plenty of other genetics to play with. The mulch is around 5 weeks old I think on those 2 pots.

I'll hit G45 up in his thread about the a/c. Not wanting to get to spendy as this is a rental. But Rollin in the 90's lights out come July might be a bit extreme, lol

4. #44 3Deez, Jun 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2014
    What up G, was wondering what you been up to. Congratulations on the marriage! Crazy how you found time to care for the plants like that while getting down to the wire on whatever final arrangements for the wedding.

EDIT: Hey btw, do you have any screening on the bottom of you tote to keep worms from dropping out? I know alot of people say that worms won't leave the bedding of they are happy with it. I agree for the most part but at the same time, IME they WILL get out the bottom of most anything they are kept in if there is nothing to keep them in. I ALWAYS have worms that end up in the reservoir of my factory and it was the same with the totes I used to run them in. If you have alot of them down there, then something needs to be tweaked. Lots of worms actually crawling up the sides is a sign that they are actually wanting to get out. A few here and there underneath (relative to how many you have ofcourse) is nothing to worry about. Just put em back.

If you have not already, maybe you could put some 1/8" screen on the bottom first.

5. What up DDD! Thanks man! It wasn't easy keeping up with everything while planning a wedding that's for sure, I never imagined the amount of decisions to make.

I only see around 1-5 worms typically, I started with 2 lbs. I'm probably over thinking it. I did not put any screen in the bottom, just a bunch of holes that are around 1/8" I guess. I wonder if it's getting to dry towards the bottom. I have noticed the top a bit dry and I wet it with the chapin. The next day I see lots moving around the top. Also, maybe I need to add more food for moisture? I can get a lot of old produce from the store I work at. I have been letting it set out and dry pretty good before adding it in fear of over saturating the bin. And I've been adding the food maybe once a week. Is that enough?

6. Oh yea, the bedding....
    Dry leaves
    Coco coir
    Horse manure
    A little vermi compost

Adding old vegge scraps for food

7. 2 lbs is something like 2000 worms IIRC ....so yeah, I wouldn't sweat it if there are only a few falling out. Just chuck em back in before they dry out.

For my bin (and it was the same when I used my totes), I only wet the bedding initially to get it going...then maybe a light watering IF it still needs it. After that, just about all my moisture in the bedding comes by way of the foods that put in. That's why I like feeding them melon rinds and also chunks of melon on occasion. Anything with a high water content will keep our bedding moist with no help needed from us.

I've been feeding my worms a steady diet of bokashied melon rinds and apples. We get so much of that stuff this time of year so I chop it up a bit and throw it in the bucket. My 5 gallon bucket is full now! Since its acidic, I've been feeding the worms every other week....maybe longer. They don't seem to mind cause they are on that stuff literally within hours. Normal scraps though? I just watch how long it takes them to finish it all before adding more. Usually once a week.

8. Hey Dummy, I am not sure if it was 2k worms. He said there was some large ones in there. All red wigglers would have taken a couple weeks and I was impatient. I think it's a moisture thing, they really hang around the surface after I wet it down. I am only feeding them food scraps till I get some compost done enough to start using as food.

9. Got the GFBA's and sour d's transplanted today
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

Looks great!

11. Thanks dude! At transplant, I contemplated chopping all the clover so the roots will start to break down. Or should I wait till I put them into flower to chop it? What do you think?

I did it at transplant...... didn't actually chop them, but used a trowel to "till" them under, sprinkled a new batch of clover and chamomile seeds, and mulched over it.  A few of the clovers actually lived through it and made it through the mulch, but I'd say 95% have died by now.  But I did that because they'll be in veg a good bit longer..... and they had been in un-amended soil for quite a while, and looked like they could use the nitrogen lol

I dunno.... I think I'd typically lean toward chopping the clover now, but then... your plants look dark green and totally happy already lol

13. Shoot, I guess I did get unsubbed after all. I don't know why it happens...maybe the app. Anyhow, I'm glad I got here in time for the current discussion. I've been wondering when the best time would be to knock down the clover and get the benefits of the N in em.

14. What up DDD! I don't think I have subscribed to anyone's thread, except the lounge somehow. Wasn't sure how to do it, but now that I am looking, I see a little "follow this topic" check box. I need to pay more attention, lol. The app sucks on iphone, and the mobile site kinda sucks for the most part.

I am thinking about chopping a couple weeks before I flip em. Give that 2 weeks to break the roots down, then there will be a nice amount of N available for the stretch.

15. It's my app I'm sure. It'll boot me off peoples threads for whatever reason.

Dude I'm so baked right now, I thought that last paragraph was talking about bud, hahaha! I was like "why the fuck is he chopping them before the flip?? :blink: " hahahaha!

16. Lol, set down the pipe DDD.

17. always late to the show :(

looking mighty nice in here dude..

yeah screen on the bottom of the bin is pretty key. I still get a few that get under the screen (i think i piled up the bedding too high in there)

but yeah man.. all looks good.
    and i believe you can call it zazen if it's from swami..
    but can't call it zazen if you got the seeds from the guy who actually came up w/ the strain (LD) makes sense to me :rolleyes:

Did Swami copyright the name?  Is he suing people to enforce it?  Or are we just not calling the strain Zazen out of respect for the guy who apparently misappropriated the strain for his own profit?  Or is there more to the story that I just don't know?

19. What is up AW!! Thanks for stopping by, never too late. Hopefully it's just starting to get good. Several not so successful runs, these plants I am currently flowering will be the first NON PM having plants so far. Really excited about that.

I might dump out my bin and see what the bottom material feels like. I have a feeling it's getting too dry. I wet down the top material with the chapin, and a few hours later they just chillin at the surface. That would give me a chance to screen the bottom like you suggested.

I hear you on the zazen...from what I read, they are slightly different. I would actually prefer the origin LD cross, lol. The deference is:
    LD zazen:
    TO (afghan x Thai stick, sativa dom) x NL5/H (the most sativa dom male)

Swami zazen
    BO, blue orca (more indica dom sister of TO) x NL5/H (indica Dom male)

Now, I am no expert on genetics. Both zazen come from the same genetic lines, maybe they aren't as different as I think they are. Either way, I'm looking forward to hopefully finding a nice pheno when I get back to those.

20. #60 gardnerthegardener, Jun 24, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2014
    I think the guys around here growing out LD's zazen stopped calling it that because it is a different cross then the swami zazen. I don't think anyone is trying to control the name necessarily, but I don't honestly know.

I did read over at LOS that LD did not want swami to cross the TO with the NL5/H, thats his own.