First Indoor grow ever (ALL ORGANIC+PHOTOTRON)

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by MichiganOasis, Apr 7, 2014.

1. Hello, 

So one of my friends dads has a phototron box that he grew in back in the day and its like brand new, so i decided to put it in my basement and put a seed that we found in this amazing grape god bud that we found at a local dispensary. Later we found out that the seed IS feminized so a big Hell Yes!
    The seed germinated for about 2-3 weeks then i transplanted it into the phototron. The dirt we used was ocean forest all organic potting soil and the nutes is the general organic start up kit with 8 different bottles and i'm following the chart!
    She's looking very good and healthy right now (i think). This is my first time growing anything ever besides a plant in 4th grade, however, i'm an everyday medical marijuana toker and am very interested in the growing of it and anything to do with medical marijuana. So i have been researching a lot and know quite a lot about actual growing.

This is basically going to be a journal that i will update everyday or so to keep everyone updated on her growth and would appreciate any replies or questions or anything. Any help is very beneficial and i will be open to many new ideas that come about. I am a beginner however i'm a very knowledgable beginner with growing and am very hand so i can do pretty much anything it takes.

Here are pictures at about 1 week old!
    Let me know if this is how it should look, or if i'm doing anything wrong!
    I feed her once every day sometimes once every other day depending on how wet the soil is, she also has a blue led (veg) light hanging 4 inches above her and will swap the blue out with a red led when bloom comes along, i also keep the humidity between 40-60% with average about 45% and temperature between 65-80 with average at about 74 degrees. Any feedback would be very appreciated! Thank you and toke up fellow tokers  :bongin:

Attached Files:

2. Welcome to GCO!  You should be able to grow for at least 30 days in FFOF soil without giving the plant any nutes whatsoever.  I would cut back on whatever you're feeding her..... 8 bottles.... my god

3. Phototron .... The EZ-Bake of young stoners, back in the day. LED's, so that sorta answers my question of do they even still make them.

Keep feeding every day or every other day and your journal is sure to be a short one. Time to do some serious reading.

Wet

4. #4 MichiganOasis, Apr 8, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2014

Just because we got 8 bottles doesnt mean they're all being used lol. Hmm you sure about that? Because my friend who currently grows all organic the same way but has a nice set up with 6 plants nutes right away with FFOF soil. But maybe i'll give that a try, i'm open up to all kinds of ideas with this being my first grow  :hide:

Haha i mean i did get the box for free, it's easy set up and we ran ducting for the intake and a carbon filter for the exhaust that works very well. But i mean why not grow in it if it's my only means of growing as of now? But yeah i learned that and have been letting her dry up longer so i'm waiting like every 2-3 days now, thanks for the advice!

5. P.S. Here's an updated picture of her as of a couple hours ago! She's really starting to take off and looks pretty healthy if ya ask me, what would you say?

Attached Files:

6. I would go with what Gandolf says bruddah, hes a very knowledgeable man

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

7. #7 Gandalf_the_Green, Apr 8, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2014

I'm very sure about that.  FFOF is one of the few soils I have experience with lol.  No nutes, first 30 days.

It's hard for me to tell in that picture because of the LED lighting, but I don't see yellowing yet.... which surprises me.  If you choose not to back off the nutes for a while, then keep an eye for yellowed on the leaf tips, or the leaf tips curling down.  Both are signs of over-feeding.  Good luck

8. #8 MichiganOasis, Apr 8, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2014

Honestly yes haha! My good friend gets 8-10 Oz dry from each plant doing that, and i've witnessed multiple harvests done that way and the final weigh out per plant and he uses FFOF soil with General Organics. But i believe you with the over nutes because im not 100% sure if he waits 30 days or not i'll ask him but thank you for the advice cause im taking it! Heres a picture that actually loads so you can get a better view of it, ill take another one once the lights turn on in 4 hours. And the only reason to which i think there hasnt been much of any signs at all of over nutes even though ive been nuting them normally (not anymore), is because of the amount of lights i have allow for the plant to take it more nutes? correct?

http://s944.photobucket.com/user/gosuv25/media/IMG_1214.jpg.html" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

9. #9 MichiganOasis, Apr 9, 2014
    Update: I am now watering her about every 2 days or so, when she's dry on the second knuckle. Also, i have cut all nutrients and am just watering for a couple waterings then ill add very light nutrients. Thank you for everyones advice so far, KEEP IT COMING!  :hello:

Here's a new picture of her that i just took about 20 minutes ago! Good humidity, 35-50% and good temperatures 68-78 degrees at all times.
    IMG_1240.jpg
    http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad290/gosuv25/IMG_1240.jpg
    (Use the link above it the picture doesn't enlarge!)

Any helpful tips or advice on the update? Thank you!

10. When you decide on using nutrients go sell the bottles, get outside and find some comfrey, nettle, yarrow, burdock, dandelion. Get as much plant material as possible and let it soak for a few days to a few weeks and water as needed. That's my advice.

11. #11 MichiganOasis, Apr 9, 2014
    Now what exactly does that act as? I don't want to bring outside sources like that in and cause a bug problem or something (Is that even possible). Im still a beginner but at least a pretty knowledgable beginner haha! So like would i not use the bottles at all and just do that or do that until like week 3 or 4 and then start using bottles? I've just never heard of something like that being done so i'm just a little weary on trying it, anybody else have any experience doing this? 

Also, i have a very beginner question for everyone but don't laugh! If i stick my finger in the soil to the second knuckle every day wouldn't there be a bunch of holes throughout my pot in the soil from my finger? Do i fill the holes back in? Or do i use the same hole every time (wouldn't the hole just dry up then?)? If i fill them back will it disturb the root system?

12. If you are keeping up a weekly regimen bugs should not be an issue. Most of the folks over here in the organic section use a living soil and bring in compost or other plant material to make teas with no ill effects. You definitely don't need the bottles you can do much better if you build your own soil mix, but I was trying to work with what you have to deal with and not cost you any more money at the moment. If you take in some plant material like this (you want leaves, stems, roots, be careful with flowers as many of them can turn alcoholic and kill plants) let it soak and then mix it 50/50 with plain water (non-chlorinated is best because you don't want to kill the microbes in/on the plant material) you will have a better nutrient program going on than those bottles. I would recommend feeding and foliar spraying with this once every 7-10 days. You can do this all the way until harvest (no flushing necessary) and produce some great plants. I have seen amazing results with stinging nettle.

For the second question if you are sticking your fingers in the soil (to test moisture I would assume) just when you are done I would rub the surface of the soil and fill it back in. I think sticking your finger in every day is going to disturb the roots more I try not to even put stakes in my soil once roots are established. I have SIP buckets and put the stake down the PVC pipe if needed. Just personal preference I get outside it happens but in a container there isn't much for the plants to do if it needs to make more roots there is only so much space less stress is best IMO. HTH

Start by reading at least 3 pages of this: http://forum.grasscity.com/organic-growing/951823-botanicals.html  I promise all of your questions in the first paragraph will be answered. 

Fill the holes back in, but you should start lifting your pots, or at least a side of them, to start getting an idea how heavy they feel when they need water.  Then lift them after you water them to get a feel for how heavy they are when saturated.  After 3 weeks, I promise you won't need to stick your finger in anymore.

14. Now thats a good question that honestly just may be true, about light intensity allowing plants to utilize more food for growth.

If I am correct, I really should check; that light is what plants use to process nutrients needed for growth. One of the reasons leaves in the dark "die" off before a leaf exposed to light. If in a lack of light a leaf will not be able to process the food stored in it, or drawn into it and then burns or gets a toxicity problem. This assumes your soil is of the right PH and high level of food; plus a powerful source of light. Spectrum may matter. Possibly blue light allows plants to process nutrients more effectively by causing a increase in auxins and triggering foliage growth, while say red light develops stem structure and aids in sexual development in the plant? Possibly different spectrums aid in the plants ability to use certain nutrients causing these effects?

I am also surprised to not see any burning. Try and get a picture with some different lighting for us!

Actually, during my intense research on growing, i was doing a lot on LED's and i know of a legit professional company that tested plants growing under 1000w HPS lights and then their LED panels that have a veg switch that uses 650W total and no heat and theyre smaller and produced thicker and denser buds, better looking buds, the plant under LED's actually harvested 2-3 weeks quicker than the same strain, same growing condition plant under the HPS. But you are correct, during veg the colors plants need the most and can absorb the best is basically blue and the color during bloom that they actually absorb the highest efficiency of light is red. I'm eventually going to build a grow room in my house and legally grow my 12 plants under just LED's. 

Hmmm very interesting....I will try one of those methods possibly no doubt! i would love to learn more about how to make soil and do all of that, and where to get all of the materials, and how the amounts and what works. Im growing outdoors in a wood fenced in area in June, and from what ive been told growing good bud outdoors mainly revolves around having good soil, am i correct?

16. Right, I was wondering why those spectrums cause those reactions.
    Then wondered if it was possible that cannabis needs different bands of light to use and process nutrients. I guess we dont have light causing deficiencies as a regular problem.

Can you please post a link to the reports on the studies conducted by this presumably unbiased company?

Good bud anywhere needs good soil, indoors or out. You may have good soil to work with already outdoors or you may have to work with what you have. I have not grown much outdoor this will be my second year, no cannabis, so I cannot answer much about outdoor growing I do know that my veggies all did good outside though. I didn't add much but I did use some teas, mostly kelp,alfalfa and neem but I had some stinging nettle in there, I had harvested 3 gallons of dandelions but never used them. It's a shame I didn't know back then I could still use it when they dried up.

Ok just go to www.lushledlighting.com or http://californialightworks.com/ and just read all the information, specs, reviews etc. 420 magazine did a comparison on HPS vs LED.  I mean even if the LED lights didnt produce any better or faster plants, they still only use 40-50% less power than a traditional HPS or HID. But they actually do produce better buds and faster buds. I have a friend who has the California lightworks one thats like 400$ and swears by it. LED's are the new future to growing.

How do you tell whether the soil outdoors is any good or if you have to make your own? Im guessing just grow in it and see how they turn out lol?