Anyone else annoyed by the people who just have kids because its their right

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by Sc0pe, Apr 6, 2014.

Exact same problem - I don't see how anything is resolved. It's equally as coercive. The difference here is that you're using conditions of poverty to elicit participation.

Interesting, like I've said before, the actual research on population dynamics and international development reveal that if we can eliminate poverty, we can reduce birth rates. Even more interestingly, the neo-malthusian narrative is fundamentally confused from an environmental resource-use perspective. It's not the large populations of global poor who are utilizing the majority of world resources... I'll give you three guesses at which population is.

2. Every time I go to respond to something on this thread, @[member="Sam_Spade"] does it for me.

China has a one child per family policy.  While there are exceptions, if you bothered to learn anything about it you would quickly find out that it has not only been draconian in its implementation, but it has also led to unforeseen consequences.  Male births outpace female births by a ratio of 117:100, female infanticide is relatively common, and forced abortions are the norm for "unauthorized" pregnancies.  I'm sure this right up your alley, but I think you should consider moving to China rather than enforce your beliefs on the rest of us.

Or even in the present...

I take it back, you would be much more at home in Nazi Germany than you would in China.  I realize there is no longer a terribly active Nazi party in Germany, so I think you should travel the world until you find one.

Stop and listen to yourself.  You want somebody, some government, some person, to decide if you have the right to procreate.  What positive historical experience can you point to that demonstrates that ANYBODY should be granted that kind of power??

Sigh.  I will never understand why fascism came to be considered a "right wing" or conservative mindset.  The true fascists clearly are progressive liberals. 

As has been noted, the main component behind lowering birth rates is increasing economic prosperity.  Hand in hand with that is the need to change government programs to eliminate the incentive behind baby factories.  Sadly, the left wants neither of those things to happen. They need the bodies to vote...

[​IMG]

:laughing:
    I feel like Dr Sheldon Cooper, but I think I should ask.  Sarcasm?  :confused_2:

Oh, no!  Not at all.  I agree wholeheartedly with everything you said, and said so well!

7. You must've misunderstood me. What my grandmother suggests doesn't involve any coercion. It would completely voluntary and no different from any other scholarship program requiring some sort of forbearance.

8. Are you kidding me? how the hell is healthy eating supposed to alter someones genes for the better? genetics does not work like that
    and yeah actually if you do have people with the genes for a better brain that would most likely cause better intellegence

9. So i take it you have no problem with children competing over food and shelter until the human race dies out

10. Im guessing the birth rate is a cause of ill education towards contraception in poverty areas?
    as for the ones using all the resources my point comes in again, they will drain the resources faster if there is more of them

11. What annoys me more is that this is in the science and nature section of the website.

For your edification, there are other relevant forums that on this website for this discussion, namely politics.

12. The fact that children are living in such conditions (and have since the dawn of time) is due to economic reasons, not because of overcrowding or not enough food. When my father came back to the farm in the 60's, "experts" were of the opinion that we would be unable to feed the world population by 1990. Guess what? They were wrong. The yield curve, thanks to modern agriculture, outpaced population growth. Their new number is 2050. Guess what? Precision ag is allowing food production to outpace population growth yet again. Funny, huh?

If you have any evidence that you are anything but full of hot air and conjecture, I will gladly read it.

I don't think you are smart enough to understand what he is saying about who uses the resources. Due to that, you should not procreate, ever. Report to the nearest government hospital for the eunuch procedure...

13. No need to be an asshole,
    im assuming he meant first world countries like USA, am i wrong?

the fact remains we only have a set amount of space to live on, where will we put all the people once we reach overpopulation, im sure alot of them wont want to live in the deserts or tundras and of course we cant just plow down more rainforests, and what about farmland aswell that restricts the space even further but its a necessity because how else are we going to feed all the people

14. [quote name="garrison68" post="19819405" timestamp="1396979457"]You, like many, do not understand what "survival of the fittest" means.

Besides, to survive they need our help, and it's expensive and otherwise a toil for society. [/quote]

I understand fully what it means. And yea, we need "help". Thats one thing makes humans "fit" is our ability to work together for survival.

Thats irrelevent to what i was arguing though

Actually it very much does. If you arent fit to hold a job, its unlikely youll find food. Many people are unfit to survive in society. Let them parish. Its moraly superior to population control tyranny.

Everything humans do is natural.
    This keeps the undesirable traits sticking around.[/quote]

Sent from my LG-E739 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

15. #55 Sam_Spade, Apr 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2014
    This thread is disgusting. This is not science.

This is politics, and it is not rooted in research on international development or population geography. It is rooted in post-colonial paternalistic narratives.

I'm done. If anybody wants recent scholarly resources on this subject, please message me.

16. I second that. Existence in itself is suffering.

17. He is saying that birth rates go down as societal wealth increases. So, the greatest users of resources have lower population rates. Applied to your argument, eliminating the ability of the poor, infirm, and unintelligent to procreate would not necessarily lead to a reduction in resources used.

Clearly you live in a city. I'm guessing you have never really traveled? If you take the average population density of US cities, then apply that to the world, you can cram every single one if the seven + billion people on this earth into an area the size of Texas.

Now, clearly, I don't want to do that. I can't imagine not living in wide open spaces. But the point still holds. There is still a lot of wide open space on this planet. Technology is going to allow us to grow food in ways and areas that we can't even imagine at this point. To say we are out of space is absurd. Add has been noted, you have no facts or science to back up this ridiculous notion.
    Lastly, about being an asshole. I agree that there is one in this thread, but I'm equally sure it isn't me. Listen to yourself! You are espousing the exact same ideas that Nazi Germany did in the 30's. Six million dead people later, most people have decided that was a bad idea. Do you shave your head too?

18. #58 iAmBetty, Apr 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2014
    [quote name="yurigadaisukida" post="19823692" timestamp="1397052080"]

I understand fully what it means. And yea, we need "help". Thats one thing makes humans "fit" is our ability to work together for survival.

Thats irrelevent to what i was arguing though

Actually it very much does. If you arent fit to hold a job, its unlikely youll find food. Many people are unfit to survive in society. Let them parish. Its moraly superior to population control tyranny.

Everything humans do is natural.
    This keeps the undesirable traits sticking around.[/quote]

Sent from my LG-E739 using Grasscity Forum mobile app[/quote]

Mkay, I'm just going to say its better to try and slow or limit population growth than to let people continue pumping out babies many of them already struggle to take care of. At some point, assuming we don't ever develop tech to colonize other planets, or get wiped out, there will be widespread suffering from starvation and war worse than we have now. I don't know the perfect method, I don't know if there is one, but I think at some point it will be necessary even if its not in our lifetime (and I really don't think it will be, so its hardly worth getting worked up over

Agree with that, disagree with that, it's whatever.

Edit: oooh how this thing loves to fuck up qoutes

19. Ill worry about me and mine and let others do the same.

20. Im not saying kill people! The main point im trying to get across here is i am baffled as to why people think that their desire to have children is more important than the potential suffering of that child,
    and as i said before if you have an obese unattractive person you hear all the time how they are bullied and harassed, neglected and isolated, and then have to deal with the diseases that come with their bad genes
    why the hell would you put someone through that just because you cant shelf the idea of having your own genes duplicated,
    as was mentioned before on this thread why dont they adopt orphans

biologically speaking they weren't supposed to have kids anyway, its the law of nature if you are unfit you are supposed to die before you pass on the defective genes that caused your condition, and again im not saying kill these people im saying we should help them as much as we can with medical science but at the end of the day it is less cruel to give birth to healthy children