Musicians Cognition

Discussion in 'The Artist's Corner' started by siouxrunner, Apr 6, 2014.

1. #1 siouxrunner, Apr 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2014
    Good afternoon from Florida everyone. I've been diving into musical cognition on my own lately and have oddly found more about myself than music (besides the point).

The passed few days I have been reading my lyrics and hearing strange or pleasant sounds that all seem provoking at once.

For Example: "Yearn for dreams or reach for further ways"
    I hear "Dem Ba Do Ned Do Gadalala" behind the words. 

My purpose for starting this thread is to invite EVERYONE to share there musical cognitions.

To post your musical thoughts, quote lyrics you'd like to post or that you have made up yourself and hum the melody you hear behind the words or the music you hear in your head. I suggest making an account on Soundcloud and provide a link below from what melodic thought you had corresponding to the "lyrics".

Simplified Example:
    "Post lyrics here"
    -PROVIDE SOUNDCLOUD LINK HERE-

1377519_221705961329774_1872586378_n.jpg

2. #2 Deleted member 281310, Apr 6, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2014
    musicians cognition? never heard of it but i was just daydreaming about making music as this showed up on recent topics. so what do you have notes playing in your head as you read or speak or sing the words?

3. #3 WizardInBlack, Apr 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2014
    @[member="Greenmagic"]

Musical cognition is all about how you perceive music in order to learn more about the mental processes that support musical behaviors.

I'm not going to follow op's lead though, because typing out words that crudely resemble what i perceive in my head when listening to a song doesn't seem that meaningful to other people be honest. It's like a more abstract version of when people ask you if you know what a song is called, then they attempt to describe it by going "da da dum da da dee". 

4. I hear a multitude of sounds when viewing certain images but the most powerful sounds I hear come from reading my lyrics. When I hear the music inside my head I sit down with my piano and play what is in my head over and over. For far complicated sounds, I sound them out onto my mic and practice the piano to my voice until I can portray it onto piano.

We all don't work the same way I do because we all think differently. That's why I invite everyone to share "their" sound inside themselves.
    Chime off on what sounds resonate within you from the inspiration struck within that moment.