Electricity Question

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by ChambaMonsta, Apr 6, 2014.

1. #1 ChambaMonsta, Apr 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2014
    Ok so I'm going with a perpetual DWC system. My flowering light will be a 1000W HPS (12 hrs On/Off) and a 400W MH (18/6 hrs on/off) my veg section. The problem is that my grow area is an enclosed closet. It's around 30ish sq, I think 37.5 but don't quote that not near my blueprints right now. Anyway that's 1400 plus I need electricity for my fan and filter. Oh and a small AC to regulate temp and humidity, there are no windows or outlets just a weird shaped L box. How do I get power into the room without frying my circuits? I live in an apartment and there is no way I can cut holes for the ducting which really sucks. I need something as far as cooling tho I just tested the 9 pots for the flowering area and the room instantly got hot just from the water, no hid light were running. Any suggestions guys. Oh and the closet has a 2.5X3.5 ( once again a guess ) section that I'm going to use for a mother and a few clones any suggestions for seperating these two spaces. I'm so anti-hermie.

2. #2 nuker121hydro, Apr 6, 2014
    Cut holes , patch them when you move out. Or blow your ac 24/7. You will never control the temps of 1400 watts of hid lighting without exhausting that heat somehow. I have always cut holes into apartments before buying a house. If you cut the hole in one of the top FRONT corner of a closet and patch before you move, they will never ever see it on the walkthrough when you move out. You don't have any options without that much light without exhaust or a very massive a/c bill. And besides that, apartment circuitry, will never handle that much juice. And if you try, renters insurance is not gonna cover a marijuana grow fire and you will be liable for all damage. Good luck. I would suggest led, t5 or cfl lighting.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

3. Damn that blows. Would have really liked to go for that. Thought I could just run electric from other rooms and not have a problem. Are there any led lights I can get for 300-400$ that are equivalent to at least 600w?

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

4. I originally wanted to go led but it's expensive. I don't want to run HID's at all. LED's were my first option before I saw the prices. Are there any brands that ppl recommend? With the LED's would I still have to cut holes? No biggie if I have to. Gonna have to cut down on my bucket count as well. Going from nine to six. Need a good LED for the most lumens/sqft

5. #5 morange, Apr 6, 2014
    That setup is not going to work at all my friend. If I am reading correctly you say you have a closet with 30sq ft? what are the dimensions of the closet exactly? (LxWxH) I grow in a tent the size of a small closet, 4x2x5, 40 cubic feet and I run 600W HPS and a 400CFM fan along with a cool tube and my temperatures sit at 78 f or so during the summer. The 400CFM fan is turned down as far as it will go with my fan speed controller, the fan is overkill but you absolutely need an exhaust system and proper ventilation if you want to use HID lighting. Not to mention I also run a 12,000 BTU portable A/C in the summer time in the intake room.

When I first started growing I went way too hard with light and not nearly enough with fans and cooling equipment, and it really caused a ton of issues. You're going to have to provide more exact dimensions of your grow space and what you want from the grow to help you out in the right direction first off though.

Don't bother with LED if you are just starting up, it's an expensive class of lighting and you need to know what you're doing in order to not only get a quality product but a decent deal. 1,400W HID is a lot of light though, depending on how big your space is it could be doable, but it's going to require a lot of ventilation.

6. Here are my dimensions

Going to split it into two sections bc of the shape

L x W x H

Section A - 4' x 5.5' x 8
    Section B - 2' 4" x 4' x 8

The goal is around a pound a month nothing spectacular. Enough to smoke, make hash and possibly try BHO.

7. Apartment closets were not made for discreet, elbow a month grow rooms.

Rethink your strategy a bit.

8. Trying to make it more clear without posting a picture lol.

L x W x H

Section A - 4ft x 4ft x 8ft for flower
    Section B - 2ft 4in x 4ft x 8ft for veg
    Section C - 4ft x 1.5ft x 8ft

Sections A+B are technically "on top" of each other and section C is along the side. Kinda like a sneaker box standing up. Section C is for all my supplies and grow necessities.

9. What would u suggest with the given dimensions

10. Your limitations are going to be your circuits in your apartment in my opinion. 

1400 watts of lights, plus ac, plus circulations fans, plus cooling fans...even if you could power it all up without tripping a breaker, by distributing the power between all the circuits in your apartment, it would not be too practical and potentially dangerous and risky.

I have a 25 amp circuit with 12 gauge wire dedicated to my room that is about 1600 Watts total.

I would probably go with a few hundred watts of T5 for clone/veg, and a 400-600 watt air cooled hps for flower...
    Assuming you grow a fast flowering strain like blueberry or something, and assuming you stay on top of your perpetual grow, figure on 10-14 ounces or so every two(2)months, with an electricity bill increase in the 50 dollar a month area.(results can widely vary, this is just a rude estimate.)

11. You can save a lot of money on the initial increase in electricity by decreasing your wasted energy use now. If you don't use CFL bulbs instead of standard light bulbs that right there can save you a lot of money. Turn stuff off when it's not in use, etc. My computer uses more electricity than my flowering setup does.

12. Thanks Mike really appreciate the advice. Just kinda confused with it being my first grow and all. I picked the 1000w because of the lumens output. The 600w works for me. But now I'm thinking of just going led just to avoid the heat issues. Anybody use tarps to separate areas?

13. Thanks man
    That's insane. How much is the computer using? Your op?

My computer has a 750W power supply, plus I have all the other stuff like monitors and sound system etc, so another 275-300 watts or so. My flowering tent I run a 600W HPS with a 400CFM (turned down as low as it gets with fan speed controls) and I grow in a small 40 cubic foot tent.

15. Why such a big fan?

16. Why such a big fan in a small tent

17. The general spec for a 6" vortex fan is usually 400-450 CFM.

18. Yeah my cool tube for the 600W is 6" so I went overkill on the fan and got a 6" 400 CFM. Without the cooltube I need to use a ton of energy with A/C and go to great lengths to control temps in the summer. Having the really strong fan is useful though temperature issues and ventilation are never a problem.

19. Ok so let me get this straight... Two holes in the wall for ducting. One for exhaust and one for intake with the light in between. Where does the fan go?

20. #20 morange, Apr 7, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2014
    Pretty much yeah, except you are going to want to rely on passive intake instead of ducting straight through, since you want to be able to cool and filter the air inside the tent. Usually grow tents come with mesh squares with flaps on each side for passive intake, and a hole near the top for the exhaust ducting to go through.

My setup is like this (as best i can convey);
    l=====[<EHXAUSTFAN<]====I=[light l
    l                                                      l          l
    v                                                    l[weed]l <intake
    [FILTER]