My first grow journal

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by Mr. President, Apr 6, 2014.

1. No need to delete anything! And yes 18/6. I'm going to mix it up next grow though. I might try like 20/4 or something next time.

2. #22 corkybuchek, Apr 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2014
    it's true that topping a plant at the wrong time can cause damage, especially if they are young and susceptible to problem. However, for sativa genetics (which it looks like you got) topping between the 6-8th node is playing it really safe. Especially if there are little green leaves on each of the lower nodes and they aren't all stunted or clipped off. Like I said top when it's dark so the hormones are not at the apical tips and your plant won't skip a beat. You can make her bush out a bit and start thinking about LST then.

3. Thank you for the info dude. I think i'm just going to give it a shot in hopes i'll get more bud. Topping will create two cola's instead of just one, right? The more and more this thing grows though, I keep getting this feeling its a "He'" instead of a "She". I'm not sure why, the nodes are just starting to clusterfuck like a male plant would so... I dunno. I might just try topping and LST on this if it is a male because even if i mess it up, i'm not keeping it anyways.... right? Or won't these methods work on a male plant?

4. Update: Copied @[member="Always_Lifted"] lighting set up lol but damn is it a good idea. Here are a few pics of the room. This setup is so neat... 1 cord. I'll also include a cool shot I took of the bulbs... They're mixed spectrum which I read the plants really like.

I'm using (4) 26W 6500k and (2) 42W 2700K

I woke her up at 8pm and man did she enjoy her sleep... grew yet another set of leaf's that look oh so b e a u t i f u l. I actually just fed her nutrients for the first time. 4 days ago I flushed through PH Balanced water because the runoff was below a PH of 4 since I hadn't purchased a PH kit yet. So this time I added 2 tbsp of garden lime, added 1/5th strength Big Bloom, balanced the PH of the water and the runoff was exactly 6.0. She's damn happy lol Here's how she looks :)

Attached Files:

5. What day is she at? And I feel you about thinking it is a male. I feel the same way about mine. I did some research and males can still be made into canna butter. Some people lose their minds at this idea, but it is true.

I don't think topping her is a good idea just yet. Do you see the side branches staring to grow? Those are going to be budsites and if they are staked than you can get more light...

I guess it depends how long you want to veg for. I was afraid mine was a male so I decided not to veg for a super long time or do any topping because I didn't want to veg longer. At 12" I decided to flip to 12/12 (today is the first day)

Sent from my DROID4 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

6. PS great set up and she is looking good!

7. Tomorrow will mark 4 weeks... so day 28. It's pretty small for 4 weeks but... It is what it is. I shocked it like 2-3 times because its been trans planted twice. Once it finally went into the bigger pot last week it exploded. If it had any chance of being a female, I probably shocked it into manhood lol

I may try to flower it and then maybe re-veg to tell the sex. Mainly because i'm impatient and i guess the experience could someday be necessary. I'm going on a trip this late summer and if I start in may, i MIGHT be able to take my harvest with me on my trip and that's what i was aiming for.

As far as topping goes, i haven't exactly decided yet. The decision is made if its a male. If this does turn out to be a male plant then this thing is going to be a full on experimental plant. LST, topping, i'll practice everything i can lol and won't care

8. I am no expert but I did plunk out a ton on many books because not only am I new I am a nerd. From what I have read you should grow her a big more before doing anything. Have you thought about starting another?

I am not sure about smell but I have a lot going and the smell isn't THAT bad. Like I said, better than the smells that usually come fro. My kitchen!

I have to say I am interested if you do topping. Make sure you detail it all!!!

Today was my first day of 12/12 w/my mystery seed. I swear it must have grown. For lights out I use two large rubber main tubs. When I opened them it was like waittttttt did you get bigger already????

9. #29 Mr. President, Apr 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2014
    Its so awesome how you and I are kind of in the same position. I too am no expert... I certainly feel like it though lol I've read sooooo many logs and books and asked so many questions from friends that are growers. I've had an operation set up before, but it was more my friends operation than it was mine. It was done at his house but we split the costs of everything down the middle so we split the yeild. So I have had little to no experience.

As far as the smell goes, when those plants start to flower, you're going to smell it throughout the house. Period. When I buy my medicine, I usually get an 1/8th at a time, and if i were to leave that bag open on my dresser, it will stink up my room BAD. Especially if its really potent stuff. I cannot imagine having 4 fully flowered PLANTS omg. There's no way around the smell unless you get a charcoal filter. Not even the smells in your kitchen (which i doubt are THAT bad) will cover the smell of your plants up.

As far as topping goes, according to corkybuchek, I should wait until the 6th-8th node. I'm only on my fourth lol so we'll see what she looks like at that size... but then again she might get too big for my liking so we'll see. That's why I wanted to sex it and then re-vegitate because I do want to experiment... but I want a harvest more! lol but i'm not going to just throw a male plant away. I'll use it to experiment the LST and topping.

I was going to induce flowering May 1st and then germinate a feminized seed that I have. The plan is to Harvest one plant at around the same time I induce flowering on another so i can have sort of a perpetual harvest.

I'm excited to see what your plant is going to look like in a couple weeks! I too use a big rubber tubs for the dark period and I cover it with a black blanket. That isn't going to work for very long for me though. I think I'm going to head over to Home Depot again and get those large 4 foot cardboard bags that you usually use for bagging leaf's in autumn and just put it over the plant for a new dark "room". Good idea, eh?

10. I'm stealing your idea for sure!

Sooooo right about smells. I have a huge amount of meds right now as my friend is coming for a visit and I want her to have some crazy fun. I haven't smoked for weeks!!! I have been really awesome just growing!

OK cool. You actually know way more than me. I am just hoping the best for your plants and putting girl vibes toward it!

That is pretty cool you and a friend already grew. I am too much of a control freak to share. I am obsessed with these plants. I remember not even two months ago I swore I wouldn't enjoy growing. But here I am.

So question, does the plant need moving air while in the dark during flower? And what are you going to do for smell?

I'm think Ona. I live alone and while I can smell up my house with weed I would prefer to not have my eyes water when I open the door!

11. I doubt I know any more than you Aristocat! I thank you for your medesty. And I agree, Control freak lol, he did most of it. I paid for stuff and watered it every few days when i'd go over and smoke but thats about it. I can't really say i did much :/ but that's okay because I am now :) I too haven't smoked for a couple weeks. Actually tomorrow (today) will mark 21 days for me. Like i mentioned before, this is keeping me from smoking... somehow. I really needed a break anyways. Once you build that tolerance, it isn't even fun anymore.

As far as the moving air question, I would say yes. I think the plant should always be moving by air flow to some degree and this is an issue i'm still trying to come up with a solution for. My fan is too big for my rubber tubs and if I use the paper bag then I won't ever get a fan in there. Not to mention fresh oxygen. But at this point i usually just step back and say.... Is it really that big of a deal? I'm just trying to get a yield at the end of all this. I forget all too soon that this is practice and I need not to be a perfectionist (as i am a perfectionist). If i think of something, i'll share with you, but the only thing i can come up with is trying to set my dark period for when I go to sleep? I dunno

The smell thing.... there's a charcoal filter motor thingy (lol) at my local hydro store. I dunno what its called, who makes it, I just saw it and took a mental note as to where i could get one when i need it. It was like... under $10 and was about as big as my hand. I'm going to need to go there soon and I'll check it out and report back with better info. But i'm sure i'll end up going with that.

12. That sounds awesome. I need to stop into my hydro store again. I really dig mine the guy is really nice and doesn't treat me like I am a leper. I went into another hydro store and they didn't even greet or ask me if I needed anything. Could be I'm a girl (sorta doubtful) or maybe my narc worthy suit I wear during the day Lol oh well.

Yay for 21 days! A break is always good. I never have had a high tolerance but I get kinda boring when I smoke. In the old days I would get all giggly but now I just kinda get tired. I might look into growing some old school stuff.

I think I will put in a pc fan into my tubs. Have you seen the micro grows? They blow my mind!!!

13. I actually know the owner of the hydro shop that I go to pretty well. I'm an auto technician and he comes to me to get work done. He usually gives me deferred payment HA but I don't usually take any discounts he offers when I buy at his shop because its a small store in a big plaza and I want him to stay open!! His store is the ebay of a growers dream. He. has. EVERYTHING.

I have seen the micro grows! I wonder about those sometimes lol I must say i'm a wee bit skeptical but hey.... i've never done it so.....

A pc fan? That's a pretty good idea....I like the bag idea but I can't get passed knowing she'll be suffocated for 12 hours :( I just don't know any other way around that though....rather I use the bag or not, I have no choice but to put her in something that I can keep dark, rather than putting her in a dark room.... because I don't have a room that stays dark.

14. ACTUALLY.... those bags are pretty tough. What if you poked holes all around it, put the bag over the plant, and then put a dark blanket over the whole thing and keep a fan on the outside of the bag but the inside of the blanket? Air would flow through the blanket right? but wouldn't allow light through...

Hey aristocrat, I am grown an old school skunk of sorts and it is more of a head punch than the typical OG and indica that floats around my area. It's just so much easier to find a stash around here that puts you to sleep than is a real head stash. I still have one indica plant, but the other 5 are the old school sativa.

16. That is awesome! I am just growing whatever is the easiest to get my chops so to speak. Here we have medical mmj and I have not found a single seed or a nice old school strain. Your growing what I want!

17. if you have the luxury to order from a elite seed company, you should check out Bog and cannabiogen/ ace seeds, they specialize in old landraces. i would grow some sour bubble or one of the ace sativa yet i'm stuck with these plants for the while. they're fine

18. I'm only curious but why did you only start with two 26 w?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

19. UPDATE:

Well, I decided to top her! She is looking GREAT. And I cannot believe the amount of growth!! I was reading about the LST and fluxing and I'd like to try it! She's topped, happy, healthy, GREEEEENNN, and making daddy proud lol We'll see what happens in a week, I might tie her down and LST. We shall see.

The first picture is before I topped, the second is after I topped, the third is massive growth lol and so on

Attached Files:

20. It was all i had at the moment. They were under the 26W for like 2 days after she sprouted and that's when I went and got the 42w.