first time, need help

Discussion in 'Micro Grows' started by craig7, Apr 5, 2014.

1. Other plant still isn't doing much but this one is doing great, probably gonna have to move it to a new pot soon

Sent from my SGH-I757M using Grasscity Forum mobile app

Attached Files:

2. #42 xilw3r, Apr 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2014
    your plants look super weird dude. well the 1 leafer at least. Grow it out just to see what kind of mutant it might become :D

3. yeah it's got another leaf and stem but they're just a tiny stub but I guess we'll see what happens. I'm thinking of switching them to 18/6 for the lights but I'm still not quite happy with the light leakage and fan noise is a problem when I don't have my pc on but I might start leaving it on all day so that if anyone comes in while I'm not around they won't hear it over my PC's fans. Getting rid of the remaining light leakage is gonna be tough though, my biggest issue is the side panel, it's got a latch with a lock on the side and I can't put aluminum tape on it because then the lock and latch mechanism won't work and the case won't close so I'm gonna have to get creative. And along the edges of the side panel there is some slight leakage, I should be able to figure out something.

Attached Files:

4. You could always just turn the fan off when you need to, they wont need it all the time especially when theyre small. I put my fans on for an hour or two a few times a day to make sure the air gets changed. Of course if you have heat issues you may need them on but thought id say anyways

Sent from my GT-S6810P using Grasscity Forum mobile app

5. I've been unplugging the fan most days when I go to school but I wasn't sure if that was bad for the plants. You think it would be OK to just run the fans while the light is on? I'd love to have the fans be nice and quiet and be able to run them 24/7 but that's not currently possible unless I took some of the fans out of my pc but that would cause heat issues elsewhere in the room.. As for the plants, leaves are getting big on Weedie the second but the other one is looking pretty dead. Oh well, time for more seeds, I won't germinate more than I can handle this time. We still don't know if this will even be a female so I want a backup plant at least it will double my chances of getting a female.

Attached Files:

6. You could tape over the light leaks and then with a sharp knife cut it back open. This should then allow you to still open the case but once closed should be fairly sealed up

7. switched weedie 2 into a slightly bigger pot today, didnt go too smoothly but it's done. ill get some pics later, hopefully it'll be fine

8. I'm gonna subscribe to this as I'm interested in helping see you through all the issues you may encounter man.  I too chose PC cases to grow in, but I don't have to worry about stealth at all so I'm lucky.

One issue you're going to run into involves using those very small containers for their soil.  Also do they have drainage?  They will need it.  You'll have to transplant probably around the 2-3 week mark I would imagine.

Get a thermometer if you don't already have one; I'd be very concerned about temps in there even with just one light.

May want to think about tossing that second weird seedling man; good genetics is half the battle.

9. well i ditched the small containers and moved up a bit to a margerine container. it does have about 10-15 small holes around the edge on the bottom. where would i get a thermometer for this? the second seedling is sitting in the bottom of the case just waiting to be tossed basically.. hopefully i can get some more seeds soon

10. Also here's that picture I said I'd post. Probably gonna rig up a fan inside to blow on the plant so we get stronger stems. I kinda get the vibe that weedie the second is pissed at me..

Attached Files:

11. Do you have a wal-mart or a home depot?

I got a cheapie thermometer/hygrometer from Home Depot for under $3; worked great until my three year old grabbed it and played with the metal spring that measured the humidity.

I think your container may get you through most of your grow...you don't want it to get TOO big after all...but you don't want it to get root-bound either.

With that big CFL so close to that seedling i'd be concerned about it's temps right at leaf level; do you have a fan you can rig to blow over it?

12. I'll probably pick up a thermometer pretty soon then. Also got a fan rigged up to blow over the plant, gotta figure out a better way to position and mount it though.

Attached Files:

13. I use Gorilla Tape; it's strong and sticky stuff

Maybe some gorilla tape?  Or any duct tape really

But if I'm seeing that correctly, that's attached with LEGO pieces?  LOL NICE.

14. #54 craig7, Apr 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2014
    Weedie was looking a bit sad today so I had to rig something to hold it up. Still looking nice and green so I think it'll be fine.
    probably gonna go pick up one of these http://www.homehardware.ca/en/rec/index.htm/Indoor-Living/Housewares/Weather-Gauges/Weather-Inst-Combo/Weather-Inst-Combo/Indoor-Wireless-Thermometer-with-Hygrometer/_/N-2pqfZ67l/Ne-67n/No-24/Ntk-All_EN/R-I4470392?Ns=P_Price_15403&Ntt=thermometer&Num=0 later if that would work. probably also gonna pick up a light socket splitter because i noticed that there's a 30 watt 2700k bulb in my garage so i might as well use it

Attached Files:

15. Looks good. Y splitters are awesome, they are a must have. I think you can only get them for screw bulbs tho

16. So weedie is doing a bit better now that I've got it growing straight I think.

Attached Files:

17. Got the fan blowing on the plant again, seems to be doing OK, can't say much else.

Attached Files:

18. #58 craig7, Apr 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2014
    Removed the support from the stem and was pleased to find that that's a fairly strong stem. I think I'm doing good. Or at least I'm not killing it.

oh cool, i just checked on the plant and the tips of the leaves are turning yellow... im gonna guess it's not getting enough of something. what could i do? just the tips and a couple spots on the edges are kinda turning yellow. you can actually see it in the first pic, i was too stoned to notice earlier, and the lights on now which helps.

Attached Files:

19. The only thing it needs at this stage is light, water,and air to both leaves and roots. How hot does it get under that bulb? It's looks ok though man, I wouldn't worry too much as long as you can see a difference in size every day

20. Mine have gone yellow and dry looking before from the roots outgrowing the pot, but your one looks plenty big enough so id take a guess at temperature being too high or the soil having nutes in it.. atm it looks fine but check temps and if it gets much worse try flushing it