Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Ah....the 70s.

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by Clampit, Apr 4, 2014.

1. Now, I'm not saying that bud in the '70's is bad, believe me I would love to try some of those landraces. BUT, I wouldn't smoke anything that looks like those pictures--if someone could have one of those landraces today and grow it w/ all the new info/tech we have to produce bud today, it would be the most amazing cannabis ever. But back in the 70's less was known about growing and whatnot, so the final product was not as good as it would be if grown with today's methods. Y'know what I'm sayin'?! :bongin:

2. Yeah, it's always 'all good' until it isn't...

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

Attached Files:

3. I have a hope that as legalization progresses, a lot of older, former toners, will dig their old stash boxes out of the basements revealing vintage toking tools and little jars with a few seeds rattling around.
    I'd love to see an older seed grown with modern knowledge and techniques. Just to see how much weight and potency could be squeezed out of it. Just as an experiment.

4. You can get feminized Acapulco Gold seeds online. I'm not sure of their legitimacy though. 

5. I know a lot of ol timers who miss columbian gold and acupulco gold.

Im sure theres some hippies still growin this stuff, but I dont blame them for not sharing.

6. That's so 70 show 

7. #47 Johnny_Blazed, Sep 14, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2014
    Some Good DJ short Quotes about back in the day and comparing today's weed vs today.  DJ short has forgotten more about weed and growing than most of us will ever know so some of these are interesting takes:

On the old school bud:
    He gradually found suppliers of better and better bud, wonders from “sweet spots” around the globe. This was all Sativa weed, adapted to thrive outdoors: Colombian Gold (“The smell was that of sandalwood incense, almost frankincense,” he later wrote in his book, “and the flavor was that of a peppery incense cedar … truly psychedelic, powerful and long lasting”), Oaxaca Highland Gold (“super-spicy cedar incense with a slight fermented berry taste”); Highland Thai (“purely cerebral, mentally devastating”); Chocolate Thai (“deep, rich, chocolate, nutty, woody/spicy”); Jamaican (“Too damned strong and speedy! … It is a heart-lifting herb and I have a sensitive heart. So I am careful with the samples of the commercial J-ganga that I try”); Black Magic African (“Truly the most devastating and consciously inebriating herb I have ever smoked”).

On trying to replicate the bud of the 70's
    “The herbs I'm trying to replicate, which I don't think I've done yet - I don't know if I ever will - they were just head and shoulders above what we're smoking now. Very clear-headed, no burnout to them whatsoever. They were 7 percent THC. So something else was going on.”

The above were taken from http://grantland.com/features/a-trip-hempfest-pioneering-cannabis-breeder-dj-short/

8. Move somewhere with medical. I'm not in an area with consistent medical supply but my guy gets his shipped down from some medical growers in BC, and I know some local medical growers as well. The good growers don't use hydro, they grow it in soil with a strict regimen.

Let me tell you, you'll get plenty of flavors with some variety. The real issue I have is that kush strains are so popular because many have such a similar smell, I wish there was more variety available. I LOVE Chemdawg when it comes around, currently sitting on some Jack and Lemon Kush, the Lemon Kush is a sativa-heavy hybrid and is straight citrus that lingers on your tongue after the exhale.

9. Man, I'm 18. New to smoking really. But I would love to have experienced the old school weed. I would, in a heart beat, go back and experience the 70s. I'd listen to Floyd and smoke Thai Stix! So instead of saying today's weed is better and fruity, why not try and learn from the guys who experienced the 1970s

It's not peer pressure, it's just your turn.

10. Sometimes I wish I could've lived in the 70s, but then I remember, like...computers.

11. #51 daffydank, Jan 9, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2015
    About 1981 or so we were smokin some crazy stuff we called rainbow. Beautiful colors, EXTREME sweet taste like straight up candy. Got ya ripped as well. Probly a fluke pheno? Saw stuff like this maybe one other time from then till years later when the hybrids started showing up more commonly.

12. Mostly it was dirt weed. Compressed into bricks. Chock full of stems and seeds. The late 70's brought designer weeds (Columbian, Hawaiian and something new called Sensimilia. (seedless) Prices went up and quality became driving issue. Previous to that possession or use showed the world who you were. (Counter-culture) Name of my baseball and bowling teams was "No Beer No Pot" and we were kidding. Then came D.A.R.E. programs that brainwashed the kids and the whole scene went underground. 

13. Had that b4, but it wasn't all that potent.

14. LOL, that sig is great man! XD

15. #55 drummerben04, Jan 31, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2015
    Wouldn't that be something to find some. Grow the plant, keep it in vegetation forever and just keep making clones! :)

Calling all 60's & 70's growers. If you have any seeds left over please come out of the shadows. We need you! :D

16. If I gets me high I could give a shit.

17. Those pictures are fucking sexy

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

18. No.  I experienced both then and (obviously) now, and it was better tasting and had a better high.  I believe most strains were of the Sativa family.

19. #59 drummerben04, Feb 8, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2015
    That Right! indica was mostly reserved for making keif as I recall hearing. By better do you mean longer lasting or more intense? I feel weed really changed when they started cross breeding everything. They didn't care how it tasted, just wanted strains with the highest THC. Seeing that most of the weed is grown here in America today and not exported I bet you these rare strains are still in their native country. Anybody been to Vietnam lately to check out the selection ;D

20. Man Iloved the creeper weed. It started out slow but man after 10-15mins we were laughing our faces off.
    I remember the weed back then always made me laugh, now it just makes me mellow. Go figure.