Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Ah....the 70s.

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by Clampit, Apr 4, 2014.

1. It seems very difficult to be able to find stuff that has any taste to it.
    I mean 'good taste'.
    Back in the day, I can still remember how special the weed tasted.  Today, it seems that hydro has no special taste. Most I find just harsh and strong tasting.
    The taste of Columbian was nice.  There was green Columbian and red columbian.  Both had their own unique taste.  I found the green was a bit more potent than the red.
    I smoked some Cambodian weed (once).  Had one toke.  Gave me tunnel vision!
    Then there was the Acapulco gold!  That was nice...real nice.
    Then there was the Tai weed on a 10" stick, which soon became 7" sticks ( the dealers were breaking off a piece).
    We also had plain mexican weed.  It was stalky and came with seeds.  Seedless pot was called sinsemilla (sinse), and was only available three or 4 times a year.  Except for that, all the pot came with seeds.  But it all had a nice distintive taste (and smell).
    I miss that stuff.

2. #2 PhunkyPhoenix, Apr 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2014
    My old man told me all about those days, he talks a lot about the columbian weed and the thai weed. Kind of funny how things change so much, he told me a story about when him and his brother planted a seed in my grandmothers garden and it ended up actually growing but it only yielded a quarter or so.

It'd be cool to go back in time and experience the 70's.

3. The homegrown back then wasn't up to much.  People here (back then) didn't know how to grow weed.  Mostly leaves and small seedy buds.  The staple was the regular mexican weed.  It sold for $200 CDN for a pound. $20 - $25 got you an ounce.  It's a shame you can't experience the taste and smell, and the high that was the trademark for those classic strains back then. A 4 hour high was common.

4. Thanks for sharing.  You gotta admit that stuff sure looks good.  And it was.  Reg mex went for $25-$20/oz and the good stuff like the colombo and thai stick, and sinsi, etc showed once or twice per year, and sold for $60 - $80 / oz depending how many middlemen took their cut.  I'm talkin' 1972 - 1975.

5. @[member="Clampit"]...I'm with ya on a lack of charachter in todays grows...though I find my organics taste quite good...but do you remember that smell at concerts just as the lights went down!?..Man...it was overpowering and incredible....

6. #7 240sxLover, Apr 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2014
    That sweet smell still shows up at concerts man hahah.

The weed in that link looks just like modern weed, only horribly trimmed. I'd sure as hell smoke it, but looks like my grinder would hate it.

7. i don't think you get the OP

I can still get thai and sometimes it comes as sticks but i only smoke it to lower my tolerance these days

8. I sure do, Blood.  Heck I used to light up in the movie theatres.  Had to wave the thing back and forth behind the seat in front of me to help dissipate the smoke column from the J!

9. I get this strain called blueberry it's the best outdoor I've ever had it has a nice taste like I only roll when I have it. It tastes like fuckin blueberries

Sent from my iPad using Grasscity Forum

10. I've had some a few years ago.  It smelled and tasted like blueberries, but the high wasn't that good and didn't last long.

11. Man I am saddened I wasn't around for these buds. The old buds on that icmag thread look amazing, just imagine if we could have 5 pounds of each.
    They look like they definitely pack a punch unlike anything we have around today

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

12. Pops told me about Thai stick. Said the real Thai stick was bud wrapped around a stick of opium. I've had Acapulco gold. Good shit

13. #14 Sluht, Jul 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2014
    One thing I know about the 70s is people got away with a lot more shit then they could now... My dad always tells me awesome story's about back in the day.
    I mean were I grew up we got away with some stupid shit growing up so I don't regret it but it would be cool to go back.
    Ps the best way to taste your bud is with a vape

It's all just one big conspiracy

14. #15 EnjoiKush, Jul 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2014
    No lie, I checked out that other thread, and those buds look like complete shit. Even if it was taken with a HQ camera, you'd see even more shit. Leaves, skinny, fluffy shit with barely any bud on the stem from the looks of it. And that thai stick looks like some regs rubberbanded to a twig.

Edit, AND THE SEEEEEDS

15. Everything you speak of us still around, also dont forget mauaii wauii, actually from Hawaii. Yes even thai stix. Most of these are processed buds. Like Acapulco Gold. That had opium.

The risk of smuggling aren't worth it any more. You can easily make own thaii stix, though. I feel ya though. A lot of highly potent bud has disappeared from the market. You just have to travel to their homeland to get it

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

16. Oh n sinsei or seinsemelia is chronic

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

17. Yeah, that's it exactly.
    I find with today's stuff, it hits you fast.
    Unless I'm wrong... I recall most of it was a 'creeper', it took a few (?) minutes.  Time and space melded into a different 'warp'. :smoking:

18. *old guy telling stories alert*
    1973. Chicago in concert. First time smelling it. Still a vivid memory today. Along with being able to smoke openly back then. The Cain's Ballroom, The Fairgrounds Pavilion, and the Civic Center, in Tulsa Okla. always had heavy clouds of marijuana smoke as soon as the house lights went down. Not much need to take any, you could get a buzz just being there, as well as everyone just passing joints around. Even the cops/security seemed mellow. Then a concerned parent got involved, wrote outraged letters, and things were never the same again. Thanks for the memory jog!

i think that's the point of the thread..

It's hard to find weed that tastes like weed anymore.. hard to explain unless you smelled that smell OP is talking about.
    but it didn't smell like mangoes and fruit.. it smelled like weed. (hard to explain)