Black Market still thrives in CO

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by startedat45, Apr 4, 2014.

1. I mean WA and CO can't really think that this is gonna stop...? There's always gonna be people growing and selling

Sent from my XT1080 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. If I was in a state where it was legal I'd probably still buy black market too. Fuck the ridiculous tax they have, imagine how cheap it's going to get on the streets now that everybody can grow. Mind you I think co you can only grow up to 3 plants or something like that but how many people do you think are actually following that rule?

3. Early numbers of retail marijuana profit margins for December 2014 are coming in at around 25-30%...

Starbucks = over 50%...

The government has done a fine job at legislating the death of the legitimate retail market with obscene taxes and regulations, including seed to sale monitoring, MITS requirements, unfair leasing practices for the marijuana industry not investigated by the state.....I could go on and on.

There is no "green rush", nothing to see here but more government greed and willful disregard of the people's vote.

Nobody is going to buy it for 80 dollars an eighth, when on the corner they can get it for 25, sorry, not EVER gonna happen.

4. Just because the law allows people to grow, definitely does NOT mean people "can" grow.

CO is being attacked and flooded with crappy homegrown right now.

PS..and the law is 3 veg, 3 flower, for a total of six(6) plants per Colorado resident.

5. When you put a ridiculously high tax on something, you better believe the black market will thrive! Hell, I would still buy from a dealer if I lived in Colorado since I don't have to deal with any taxes! The government always needs to tax everything otherwise they don't give a fuck. It's ridiculous. In the future, everything will be fucking taxed. There will be a tax for living and talking. My point is, if you're gonna legalize something and tax it, don't put such a huge tax on it. Put a very small tax on it so that way people will buy from stores instead of black markets and make it a reasonable price. Simple :bongin:

6. Well duh. This whole system is set up to fail so they can say I told you so. Then bans on all home grows will come and we are right back where we started.

7. Um, yeah, when they outright stated they were looking to create a marketplace to serve 25% of the demand for a product with insanely high taxes, of course people will bypass the "legal" realm. The police, as you can probably glean from the article, never would have allowed these legalization initiatives to go through without assurances that business would be better than ever for THEM. You can almost sense them licking their chops ready to further prohibition under "legalization." 5ng limits for driving. Lots of knocking down of doors to get those evil illegal growers. This is just a mess. Just like they wanted.

This is all set to fail. Said it long ago. "Legalization" to end medical to push it all to pharma and spray and pill form. Everyone got duped.

8. Hey hey hey... Not everyone.

9. I know. I thank you for your vigilance. We all do.

10. With the ridiculous prices and the silly age limit of course theres still gonna be a black market. 21 will never work for weed and some could argue it dosent work for booze either. 

11. It was always easier to find someone to sell me weed then it was to find alcohol in high school.

Sent from my VS840 4G using Grasscity Forum mobile app

12. I don't articulate as well as you but I think I get my point across.

13. #16 WizardInBlack, Apr 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2014
    Well of course there's a huge black market for something like this. You can't grow cigarettes and booze in your closet. Well, many people do brew their own beer, but that's usually for quality, not to get messed up on like many people want from alcohol. Weed is of a different element than what many non tokers are used to. No one ever said that legalization was going to be perfect, there's going to be some trial and error, until they find a solution that they "think" is right. 

14. I read an interview with a UCLA professor in one of the articles about this. He's helping Washington set up their industry and regulatory system and he said that the black market thriving has more to do with the smaller number of shops than the high taxes. I've read that most of the shops are concentrated to the Denver area, and when they are actually located throughout the state, it will start to have more of an impact on the black market. That's what he believes and I agree, but I do think that the taxes are definitely a contributing factor. As long as people can get it cheaper and tax free, the black market will always exist especially with the reduced penalties from legalization. I think that the solution should be an increased number of shops and a lower tax on recreational cannabis. That way people would be more likely to buy from a legitimate shop than a shady dealer.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

15. There are always going to be people selling to other people. This isn't new

16. They are all concentrated in one area becuse most of the state banned them. More counties don't want them then the ones that do. All part of the big I told you it wouldn't work.

17. Well obviously black market sales are booming, with the amount of medical patients that can legally grow who wouldn't expect this to happen.  Since recreational pot is expensive in Colorado it makes growing and selling on the black market that much easier.