CE1122s Backyard Garden

Discussion in 'Outdoor Grow Journals' started by CE1122, Apr 3, 2014.

1. #561 415north, Nov 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2014
    Yea I am just trusting what they are saying. I guess the safest way to go is to only grow strains that people you know have already grown outdoor. DHN seems like a pretty legit company but who know whether their advice is true i guess. Maybe I,ll stick to the old classics like sour diesel and blue dream. I get kind of bored with growing strains that I have already grown before. If I had an indoor setup I would try DHN gorilla glue and the white. Maybe I,ll setup a small indoor just to keep me entertained in the winter.

2. can't really master a strain without growing it for awhile though. All we grow is og Kush indoor right now. Its our staple

3. #563 415north, Nov 15, 2014
    Yea I completely understand why you would do that. You probably get a nice even canopy and you don't have to worry about introducing pests or disease to you grow room with new cuts from outside sources. You probably also know exactly when to harvest and what nutrients they need.  Doesn't get much better than the true OG Kush.

4. #564 Gold Hill Ganga, Nov 15, 2014
    What I'm trying to say is most strains do fine outside, that is there natural environment, I think you should just grow what sounds cool and see what happens. Everyone told my GSC thin mints was an indoor only strain until I grew it last year and harvested just shy of 7elbows off mine. I think it should say more difficult not indoor only. I can honestly say I've never grown a plant that wasn't able to handle being outside, but I am an outdoor grower so ya.. But I say fuck it, get the clones early in the season throw em outside and see what happens, if they die they die, just get more. The way I look at it if they can't handle it in the spring time weather, they're not going to like fall either. Survival of the fittest over here.

5. #565 415north, Nov 15, 2014
    That,s a good strategy, just start with a whole bunch and see what ends up doing well. That,s what I did last year and I had a few that sucked, but it didn't matter since I started with so many. My Maui plant got PM, my fire og for whatever reason did not do well, My Girls scout cookies plant was a bad cut, but my chem 4, Sour diesel, , BBHB, Deadhead OG all did great. The mistake I made this year was not having enough variety. I can't wait until next year. Thanks for the advice.

6. I start w at least twice as many plants as I'm going to use and just cull the runts the weak or unhealthy and only the happy hungery big girls get a spot. The rest get given away and what ever is left over goes the season in a small pot and I just let it be a plant, aim some water in its direction every once in a while that's that.

7. #567 415north, Nov 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2014
    That,s a good idea.  Even though I had four bad plants last year it was still a good season for me because The other ones turned out really good. I think it is an interesting conversation to have whether there are strains that only do well indoors. I think you could probably grow a good fire OG outside but I can't picture a three pound fire og plant. It seems like it has been bred so much that it has lost it,s natural ability to withstand wind and rain and all that. I think that is good advice to start out with twice as many plants as you plan on harvesting.

8. i could grow any "indoor" strain outside easily its called light dep in a greenhouse ;)

9. #569 415north, Jan 10, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2015
    Yea I could see a scrog grow in a greenhouse of so called "indoor" strains, but putting a fire og plant or a platinum bubba in a 200 galllon smart pot seems like a waste of space and time IMHO. I still can't really figure out why anybody would create a strain that grows as slow as platinum bubba.  I actually thought somebody was messing with my plants. This year it,s gonna be proven strains or me. I,m tempted to try and  grow DHN,s the white though.

10. Add platinum cookies to that list. A waste of a fucking pot imo. If you don't mind really good quality with about a 1/2 Oz yield per 5 gal then go for it

11. #571 415north, Jan 12, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2015
    Yup, that.s about what I ended up with also. I seriously thought somebody was fucking with my soil they were growing so slow. haha.

12. #572 415north, Jan 12, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2015
    I'll be happy to be growing some good strains this year. Can't wait for outdoor to start again. Sorry about posting so much in your thread CE but it helped me out a lot with trying to figure out what was going on with my plants since you grew some of the same plants. I hope you like the new job you got. I live in the bay area too so I understand about sitting around in traffic. Pretty frustrating. Drew I am going through some of the same things you are dealing with right now, and like other people posted on the main thread, put quitting whatever sudstances are causing issues in your life as the number one priority and everything else will get better too. I,m in the process of trying to get of pain meds so I understand. I am sure this year will be better for everyone.

13. I'm ready to....about to start building more raised beds

14. Awesome. I can't wait for this new outdoor season to start. I bet you'll see a huge difference between pots and raised beds.

15. I'll still have some smarties but I'm adding three more raised beds next to the other one....right where the 65 gallon pots were

16. Good day User# 1122 . I miss my raised beds, I might do
    A couple this yr 3x3x3 they always did my right..

17. You guys prefer raised beds over smarties? Seems you would get more worm action for sure. And probably less watering needed than smarties.

18. #578 415north, Jan 12, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2015
    Just from my own experience my plants have been way bigger and had less leaf yellowing during flower in ground compared to pots but I wasn't using 100 gallon smart pots. I think it has something to do with the soil getting hotter in pots where in ground the roots stay a lot cooler. That,s just my theory on it. There,s a lot of people GC that have been growing a longer than I have though.

I,m down  in the bay area so my grow is smaller than a lot of people on this site. I have a sandstone hill that I started to  grow on and three years ago.  I had also grown for four years when it was not legal, so I,m not a complete fucktard. I grew sour kush and blue dream clones growing in pots and I had a few in holes that I dug in the hillside mainly to keep their height below the fence line. The pots and the holes held the same amount of dirt.  When my plants went through flower I couldn't help but notice the difference  between the two. The ones in the ground were so much better than the ones in pots. There was no comparison. Since then I have just kept the same holes in the hillside and every year changed the dirt. Others on this site have said the same thing.  IMHO

I can see how anybody doing a big grow can't dig forty hundred gallon holes unless they have a backhoe, so I see how smart pots are much easier. 

Here's a pic of my sandstone hill I grow on.

View attachment 1668463

Attached Files:

19. Thanks for the rundown, 415 :wave: man, that is a steep slope! :eek: plants look great though man. Nice work.

When you switch the soil out, do you just reamend it then put it back or do you mix new soil every year?

I guess the best way to learn is to do. Good to get other's opinions though. Thanks man.

20. #580 415north, Jan 13, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2015
    I actually just dug holes by hand as deep as I could and the  keep using the same holes every year. I've asked some of the others that I noticed,  plant in ground and they said the same thing that they think it helps their plants get bigger and better. As far as year to year I dig out the old soil and start with a base soil of half FFOF and basic organic potting soil, and hten add a bunch of earth worm castings and composted chicken manure. Then top dress a bout a month into the season with more chicken manure and earth worm castings. I,m lazy when it comes to soil.