How long can Cannabis be stored under optimal conditions until it appreciably degrades?

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by Applerod, Apr 3, 2014.

1. Say you have an ounce of weed, properly dried and cured.  You place it in a large vacuum-sealed glass jar in a cool, dark place.  Roughly how long can Cannabis be stored under optimal conditions until it starts to noticeably/appreciably/measurably/significantly degrade?  6 months?  A year?  Longer?

I ask this question not just for my own purposes, but mainly because I've been using a local dispensary for nearly a year and I swear they've had some of the same strains on there since I joined.  I'm pretty confident these are old batches since they lab test and the numbers haven't changed, (which would indicate a new batch of the same strain).

2. A few years. How long for sure I couldn't tell you because there's no way in hell I'd abandon an ounce for longer than a year and to KEEP the bud at optimal conditions would be a great feat considering conditions do tend to fluctuate a lot regardless of the environment.

3. That's longer than I would have imagined, and pretty awesome if it's more or less accurate.  Even 2 years would be impressive.

4. Even in optimal conditions the potency would definitely deteriorate a lot after two years (not completely may I mind you)  ,but the plant matter itself will take awhile to dissipate (way more than two years).

5. If stored properly, I would say indefinitely. If it dries out a lot then it can be a pretty harsh smoke, but it is still effective. As long as it doesn't get moldy...

6. I'd be most interested in the timing and rate of potency degradation, including not only THC but CBD and to a lesser extent the other psychoactive cannabinoids--but I don't know if that's ahead of the current science.. plus I'm too baked to do serious research right now. :smoking:

7. It's not ahead of current sience. All one has to do is experiment and document the findings of said experiment.

8. they found still-potent weed in an egyptian pharoah's tomb (so thousands of years...) 

9. Wouldn't it just depend on the half lives of the cannabinoids present?

10. I believe under controlled environments with the right settings it can be stored indefinitely.

Then again not everyone has a science lab in their garage. Soo I'd say no longer than a year but I smoke everything I buy within a month.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

11. #11 Karth, Jul 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2014
    Seems like when I leave my bud in a jar without opening for a day or so it crystallizes more, I could just be high though..

12. THC is a very stable compound. It doesn't degrade very easily. If kept in optimum conditions, it would last forever. They found old ritual sites with cannabis and it tested to still contain significant amounts of THC.

13. Yeah I would think under those conditions it could last virtually indefinitely. Might eventually get moldy, but that would probably take years in a vacuum sealed container. I don't really see any scientific reason why the compounds would degrade over time, but who knows maybe they do.

I've found old weed that I lost for like a year in just a sealed plastic baggy that was still good to smoke, if a little dry.