New Indoor Grow Adventure

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by flaiks, Apr 2, 2014.

1. #1 flaiks, Apr 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2014
    Hello! I am new to GC, came over from RIU(no hate). I am starting a new grow at the beginning of may, moving to a new apartment, and must scale things down as it is all inclusive. My current grow is a RDWC 4 plant, each with modular scrogs, under 2x600w HPS with cooltubes in a DR150(5x5) grow tent.

My new grow, i will be doing a growlab gl80l(4'11x2'7x7), and will be doing 8 plants(paradise seeds whiteberry fem). I have a couple questions, I consider myself somewhat of an advanced grower, I have my basics down, and some advanced hydroponics techniques, however, have not perfected plant training, so i am a noob in that aspect. I was wondering what the best usage of plant training would be to utilize that space. 8 Plants is a lot for that small space(about 1 per sq foot), but I want to do shorter veg times if possible, Do you guys think its possible to mainline for 8 colas each plant, with 1ft tomato cages. I will be doing 2 gallon coco hempys, with either perlite or hydroton in the bottom res area. Feeding AN 3 Part PH Perfect, with big bud and overdrive for flowering supplements, hand watered. If mainling is not feasible, what is the best way to keep an even canopy in this space, i do plan on keeping the plants quite short.

Also, second question, Heat will be an issue, as there will be nowhere to ventilate excess heat, I was checking out the uMol reading on area 51's xgs-190 and the rw-150, and they are only about 30uMols difference in light output, and I believe you can get the rw-150 closer to the canopy without burning, Should I go with 3x xgs-190's, or 3x rw-150's ? There are rougly the same price, give or take $25/unit.

Edit: also, forgot to mention, scrogs are not an option in my new setup, as I need to be able to box up the plants and hide them in the storage room in the event of a yearly inspection.

2. Bump, do any of you guys have experience with LED's, a51's more specifically ?

My goal here is about an elbow per grow, once everything is dialed in, with ofc a good yielding strain, would this be more achievable with the rw-150's or the xgs-190s ? They seem to have roughly the same overall uMol rating's, but the rw-150 has more of the 600-700nm range, which is more important for flowering as far as i understand.

3. Im waiting on a 190. So dont have any experience yet. But after this harvest im putting 2 75 one on each side. Best of both worlds

Sent from my PantechP9070 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

4. My opinion, 1 square foot per plant is way too small for heavy training, and certainly for main-lining where you would be lucky to get 2-3 plants in that space. With that size, and a shorter veg, 8 plants seems about right for a simple Sea of Green. Short veg time, lots of plants and rapid plant churn, right up your alley.

5. The 150 has twice the amount of red as the 190. But 190s are closer to a 400hps on paper. And two 400hps can get u a elbow. So on paper u should. A sog dialed in ull get 1-2 zips. So depending on your strain u could do it

Sent from my PantechP9070 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

Well, if I wanted to do an SOG, that would imply a single cola for each plant, 8 in 8 sqft would not be enough, i would want to do wayyyy more. You dont think if I use tomato cages and train the colas to the edge of the tomato cages I could get away with 1 plant per sq ft ? People usually do 1 plant per sq ft in a scrog, which is essentially what i'll be doing, minus the screen.

7. And from what I understand, mainlining is used for when you are growing in limited space. I definitely do not want to do 8 single cola plants, huge waste of the space and lights, i'd pull maybe 4oz if I was super lucky. What training methods would work best for that space, other than just SOG ? Also, want to keep the plant count limited to 8 or less, with smaller veg times(4-6 weeks from seed).

8. Also, its a gl80l, which measures 4'11x2'7x6'7, which is about 12.7sq feet total, giving me aprox 1.5sq ft per plant.

9. My previous space was 22.5"x22.5" and with a 5 week veg (from clones) I could just fit 2 plants in there with LST and did not have room for my Grow Thru plant supports (like a tomato cage). With 1 plant in the same space I would get about 4 zips . With 2 I got about 6 zips but the biggest I could get was a 3 gallon pot. For me, 8 plants in a 2x4(or there a bouts) would be a SOG, but I can see how people could pack more in there. Maybe a hybrid SCoG/SoG :D

10. #10 flaiks, Apr 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2014
    well I figure if I do 8 plants in 2 gallon hempys, with tomato cages with a maximum diameter of roughly 1.2ft, and use either supercropping, or mainlining to keep an even canopy and do about 8 colas per plant it seems achievable, it would be like a scrog without the net, People do scrogs that are 1x1 modular with like 16 colas in them no more than 2 inches from each other, hell, almost touching each other.

I also will be lollipopping the colas, so there will be virtuall no undergrowth to crowd up the space, from the looks of mainlining, i should be able to keep it contained within each ~1.2ft tomato cage. Does this seem a little more feasable since I have explained it better ?

11. What were the results with XGS? I plan to buy 2 for my 4x4x6.5 tent. be enough?