First DWC Grow

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by CookieMonster420, Apr 2, 2014.

1. Hi. I just wanted to start a log and hopefully get some feedback. Currently using 4x4 tent with a 600w cool tube. Just using a single DWC right now. I have another set of four in the tent but not running it. I'm in my third week and just topped her for the first time. It Blueberry Headband from the Emerald for those that like details. :) Temps run 72/93F and RH stays 44/82, just using two 6" fans to keep a air flow. There is a 1 1/2 ft x 3" fresh air port at the bottom of tent. So things are coming along just new to hydro. Here are a few picture of today's topping. :)

1396399448303.jpg
    1396399465835.jpg
    1396399489682.jpg

Thanks for looking. Look forward to you joining in. :)

2. Any thoughts on the topping. I really didnt do much reading on it just kinda winged it. :(

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

3. It looks great mate, are you sure you topped it? It doesn't look topped in the last photo. I could be wrong though

4. Hey Guys,

I am new to Hydroponics.   I was doing some research and was thinking about this deep water culture hydroponic system.  I was considering buying this one, simply because it comes with everything.

I was either going to do that or try to build one myself, with these Bucket Baskets and a few buckets from Home Depot.   I know I will need an air stone and pump, which should be no problem.

If I were to do it my self, how important is the tube coming out of the bottom?   Do I really need it?

5. Yes, I think I toppes it right. Lol. When the light turns on I will post an updated pitcure or two.

6. To answer your question I don't think using it without the tube at the bottom would hurt it just help prevent light from getting to roots and great for a water level indicator so you won't need to open it as often. I'm a novice to hydro myself so I'm just hitting the ground running. Lol. Hope this helps.

7. #7 CookieMonster420, Apr 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2014
    I do suggest looking on amazon for DWC cause if you get a set of 4 for $100 free shipping or ruffly $45 for a single.

8. Update on pictures. :)

1396745342741.jpg
    1396745374534.jpg
    1396745436120.jpg
    1396745451555.jpg

These are just before a bucket change. Hope I didn't over do the nutes. Lol. I'm following my feeding schedule and bottle instructions. So only time will tell cause every plant is different.

9. Hey man! Its looking good so far. I sincerely hope that you do not run into algae problems. If you do, and do not wish to add bleach to the res everyday, and if you have not heard about it, I would suggest EWC tea. My problems have been SOLVED, and if you care to see the difference and want the same growth, check it out....
    http://forum.grasscity.com/absolute-beginners/1294297-ewc-benne-tea-dwc.html

Nice lil setup :)

10. Yeah you are right man, you did top it, sorry about that, it was at a funny angle lol...

Do you have an EC/ppm meter? It's essential for getting your nutrient strength correct in DWC

11. I just ordered a meter Friday. So far I've just kept my ph leveled out. It runs 6.5ish before nute but it only seems to spike for a day or two then levels its self out. During a res change it ends up 5.0ish so ph is where it should be I think. :) Hope the EC/PPM is ruffly on point to. Figure ill let her veg for a couple more weeks the flower. (Veg for 6 weeks) She's short only stand about 6" but I figure it will stretch during flower. Got the light at 28" looking to get some stretch before flowering. I have a minor issue but ill get to that when I get off work this evening.

12. #12 CookieMonster420, Apr 7, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2014
    Alright. I'm back. :) I find myself with a issue which with a ruff guess... spider mites. :( Minimal damage so far. Originally I thought I tore a leaf slightly. But now that I'm looking more closely there are a few little hole and missing of the leafs. I'm going to read up on it after this post to try and find the best organic remedy. It seems to be mainlu on the top I havent really found anything on bottom but will know more when the light turns on.

13. I use a few drops of neem oil in some warm water and a drop of dish soap sprayed all over the undersides of the leaves. It needs to be repeated every 3 days for 2-3 sessions because it doesn't kill the eggs.

Neem oil isn't poisonous, it kills the mites by stopping their respiration, essentially suffocating them. So there's no worry about it harming you. It smells like peanuts and garlic, it's very strong smelling. Works well for eczema too when rubbed in to the skin neat

14. #14 CookieMonster420, Apr 8, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2014
    Awesome. That's great news. I will do that process. I plan to start to flower in a couple weeks enough time to get this cleared up. Ill post some pictures just to try and verify the issue.

15. #15 CookieMonster420, Apr 8, 2014
    Which type of neem oil am I looking for? One with a eye dropper? Googled it and there is a variety.

Oh also switching to my mh bulb with hps.

16. the sale been oil in the garden center at walmart

Sent from my Z930L using Grasscity Forum mobile app

17. I browsed walmart too. I wasn't sure if it was a littlr bottle or a spray bottle.

18. #18 CookieMonster420, Apr 8, 2014
    1396922103310.jpg
    1396922117920.jpg
    1396922131021.jpg
    1396922163285.jpg
    1396922198568.jpg

Attached Files:

19. Well I went to get Neem Oil and couldn't seem to find it, ask a sales clerk and that was like talking to a wall. Figure I should order it but by the time I got it 50/50 chance if she would have made it. I tried the habonaro method. Simmered it and put it in a spray bottle. Boy did I under estimate it. Burned my eyes and throat, even wear safety glasses and face mask. But hopefully give it a couple more treatments. Thanks for the idea tho. I plan to order the neem oil just to try it incase of another attack.

20. If its pure neem oil it should be all the same. Mine has an eye dropper pipette in the cap. I buy mine from a health food store.

The first couple of photos show some damaged leaves, Spidermites didn't do that. That would have to have been a much bigger animal