What is the purpose of life?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by chrisdask8r, Apr 1, 2014.

1. The purpose of life..... hmmmmmm. I've always felt that if you aren't doing whichever your heart or that "voice" tells you to then you aren't living life. You must live life the way you want, only to the fullest to understand your innermost intentions and why they were birthed in the first place.

You develop this technique and you slip out that depressive funk that the majority in the world is under.

2. [SIZE=11pt]“What is the greatest thing ye can experience? It is the hour of great contempt.
    The hour in which even your happiness becometh loathsome unto you, and so also your reason and virtue.
    The hour when ye say: “What good is my happiness! It is poverty and pollution and wretched self-complacency. But my happiness should justify existence itself!”
    The hour when ye say: “What good is my reason! Doth it long for knowledge as the lion for his food? It is poverty and pollution and wretched self-complacency!”
    The hour when ye say: “What good is my virtue! As yet it hath not made me passionate. How weary I am of my good and my bad! It is all poverty and pollution and wretched self-complacency!”
    The hour when ye say: “What good is my justice! I do not see that I am fervour and fuel. The just, however, are fervour and fuel!”
    The hour when we say: “What good is my pity! Is not pity the cross on which he is nailed who loveth man? But my pity is not a crucifixion.”
    Have ye ever spoken thus? Have ye ever cried thus? Ah! Would that I had heard you crying thus! It is not your sin-it is your self-satisfaction that crieth unto heaven; your very sparingness in sin crieth unto heaven!”
    “Where is the lightning to lick you with its tongue? Where is the frenzy with which ye should be inoculated? Lo, I teach you the Ubermensch: he is that lightning, he is that frenzy!”
     â€“ Friedrich Nietzsche, “Thus Spake; Zarathustra” Page 23. Commons version.
    [/SIZE]

3. True happiness:)

4. Don't ponder it, yours will slap you on the dome one of these days

5. the purpose of life is relative. It's a blank page waiting for the pen and ink to write all over it.

6. #26 Infinite Experience, Apr 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2014
    Nobody can answer this question as there is no one purpose to all life, its more personal than that, it's up to the individual to fill their life with purpose. Like what @[member="jayfoxpox"] said, life is basically a blank page waiting to be written on.

7. #27 freethinker, Apr 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2014
    To Experience!

8. To Aspire!

9. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PQ6335puOc

10. There's nothing more romantic than watching the world die.

11. There's no intrinsic value/purpose to life. We create our own as we grow and learn about the world and ourselves. Even if we're going to the same place, everyone will find their own way there.

12. Everything happens for a reason

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

13. That has got to be the most puzzling question in the history of the world. "Why are we here?" We are the only known life forms in this universe. I don't know. I think that maybe it's none of my business for now while i am in the physical realm of space and time. But when my body passes, and my spirit leaves, then I will have all the answers, and then the question won't mean shit.

14. Every person must come to their own terms living the good life...

One question...creamation or grave?

15. My friend has the best answer to this question. He says that the meaning of life is different for everyone, you just gotta figure it out for yourself

16. You do not start off with a certain goal, even the goal to "life a happy life" isn't a goal you are born with. You work your own purpose into your life, you fashion your own purpose from your experiences and aspirations and through that life will become meaningful. 

Life only has meaning or purpose if you give it meaning or purpose. There are no predetermined goals or objectives, there is only you and it is you that has to make your life meaningful and worth living.

17. My purpose is to get high as ballz :smoke:

Agree.

And to better ourselves, so we can strengthen the human population as a whole.

I've spend too much time pondering this idea. At the end of the day, it's about being happy.

19. We all need to be in a dim lit room and have at least 10 blunts floating around.. and maybe some glass objects to (;

20. Simply... to live.  Animals don't need a purpose they just live.  You get to experience the universe and that's amazing.